Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Playing as humans  (Read 1407 times)

Erkeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing as humans
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:18:23 am »

I started a new fortress and something appeared off. Small things like the craftsdwarf workshop being named craftsman workshop got my curiosity going. It appears I am playing as a human civilization but dont know how I did that. There is no dwarf civilization on my list, only goblins and humans. I dont mind it so much but I have a few questions.

Am I still going to get immigrants? Its almost the end of summer and havent seen any yet.
Will I still get a dwarven caravan? Or would I get humans in place of them?
And how could I have changed this? The only things Ive done to the raw since my last civ was make a few animals non exotic and add grizzly bears to tropical areas.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as humans
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:44:50 am »

That's quite odd. You should have to add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to the human entity to play as them. Hmm...

Well, either you added that tag to humans, you altered the mountain entity to reference humans instead of dwarves, or you duplicated an entry and you've got an astoundingly-benign instance of the duplicate raws bug. In any of those cases, you should get a (human) caravan by autumn, and should get migrants as normal.

Or, of course, more likely is that the humans and goblins wiped out the dwarves and elves and you're playing a last-dwarves-on-earth game. In that case, you should've gotten migrants in mid-to-late summer, should get some in mid-to-late autumn, and IIRC should get a single dwarven caravan, though after that you won't get anything. The "craftsman's" workshop instead of "craftsdwarf's" is inconsistent with this, however.

I guess the question now is: are your people humans, or dwarves?
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Erkeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:58:36 am »

Well I checked and my people are from the human civilization. Ill check the raws to see if I might have changed something.

Edit: here is part of the raws from the dwarf and human entities

[ENTITY:PLAINS]
   [INDIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:HUMAN]
   [TRANSLATION:HUMAN]
   [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]

[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [CIV_CONTROLLABLE]
   [CREATURE:DWARF]
   [TRANSLATION:DWARF]
   [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK]

Edit 2: And also the description of the people includes "A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 02:07:47 am by Erkeric »

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:59:34 am »

Sounds like duplicate raws error when you added in grizzlies.  Random craziness happens when you duplicate an entry in the raws.  Expect sieges of fluffy wamblers, instantly boiling cat leather vests that freeze said wamblers, and ghostly bronze colossi.  AKA:  You should keep that fort as long as you can go until it crashes!

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:06:40 am »

I wonder why duplicating raws produces !!fun!!
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 03:27:04 am »

clearly its because this sentient program hides behind rules to make it look legit...but when it finds an error it exploits it however it wants!

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 05:31:25 am »

Grizzly, okay, using the tags, building the grizzly, tissues, organ, pffch this is so boring.
GRIZZLY AGAIN? Fuck that shit! I'll just fill the rest randomly.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 05:33:12 am »

lol  :P

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 06:01:28 am »

Identical variables piss computers off. They end up ignoring any data that the variable's supposed to load and let whatever happens to be in the RAM at that moment go with it.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Erkeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 01:32:45 pm »

Ok so how would I stop the duplicate raw bug or w.e. Do I just delete the grizzlys? Havent seen any of them anyways so I dont think it worked right in first place.

Also I did notice I could embark with Cave fish man, cave fish woman, firesnake (cost 2p) and firesnake (cost 20p) and on my last fort all my people got wiped out in about 30 seconds due to a firesnake catiching everything on fire lol... Would this stuff also be caused by the glitch? The wiki says nothing about embarking with this stuff.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:37:22 pm »

Ok so how would I stop the duplicate raw bug or w.e. Do I just delete the grizzlys? Havent seen any of them anyways so I dont think it worked right in first place.

Also I did notice I could embark with Cave fish man, cave fish woman, firesnake (cost 2p) and firesnake (cost 20p) and on my last fort all my people got wiped out in about 30 seconds due to a firesnake catiching everything on fire lol... Would this stuff also be caused by the glitch? The wiki says nothing about embarking with this stuff.

The glitch will fuck up your world.
Reinstall DF and copy the RAW files to fix it.

My advice? Don't fix it. Make it worse. Copy a lost of stuff, regen, and enjoy embarking with exploding wagons.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »

Embarking with fire snakes? Oh yeah, that's duplicate RAWs alright. The problem is most likely not with the modifications themselves, but with something you overlooked when doing them, a wrong piece of text here or there.

AFAIK the damage of duplicate RAWs is done at world gen, and is impossible to undo in a save. As others have said, by all means continue playing and enjoy the insanity.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 01:54:12 pm »

You'd have to find the duplicated entry and remove it, then generate a new world. So, for instance, if you attempted to put grizzly bears in the tropics by copying the grizzly bear entry from creature_large_temperate to creature_large_tropical (not the right way to do it, but perhaps logical to an untrained modder), you'd have to go into one of those files and remove the copied entry.

Yeah, that's definitely the result of a duplicated raw entry somewhere. It just screws everything up.

Also, if you want grizzly bears to show up in tropical forests, you need to add [BIOME:ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST] to their entry. Alternatively, if you want them to show up everywhere, you could add [BIOME:ANY_LAND]. The text files' names are just there for ours and Toady's convenience as far as organization goes, and isn't considered by the game at all. I could make a frozen desert-dwelling creature and put it in creature_ocean.txt and it'd work just as well as anywhere else. All that matters for where things spawn are the BIOME tokens.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Erkeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:37 pm »

Yea that was what I did. Copied the grizzlys from the creature_large_temperate to creature_large_tropical. Im just starting messing with the raws and didnt know it worked the other way. And thanks for showing me how to do it properly.

Also is there any fix to get the dungeon master to show up? Ive been reading that sometimes he will come and most of the time he wont. I havent seen one yet and but would like to keep most of the animals exotic but still use them at some point.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 02:17:17 pm »

Yea that was what I did. Copied the grizzlys from the creature_large_temperate to creature_large_tropical. Im just starting messing with the raws and didnt know it worked the other way. And thanks for showing me how to do it properly.
The raw structure is not very intuitive, and the way you tried to do it would be perfectly logical and functional in some other games. It's just not the way things work in Dwarf Fortress  :)

Also is there any fix to get the dungeon master to show up? Ive been reading that sometimes he will come and most of the time he wont. I havent seen one yet and but would like to keep most of the animals exotic but still use them at some point.
Normally dungeon masters never show up that I've seen. There is a supposed fix here, but I've tried it and still couldn't tame exotic pets even after appointing the dungeon master, so it might not actually work.
Pages: [1] 2