Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Neuschwanstein with Magma!  (Read 2104 times)

Yamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neuschwanstein with Magma!
« on: January 22, 2011, 12:07:51 am »

I have searching for suitable embark locations for a replica of Neuschwanstein, built to the floorplan of the actual castle. Will update as the work commences.

Attempt one:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT 2.0: AND goblins before the chink in my wall is complete. I won't be reclaiming. I'm going to find a another site in the same area and try this again. This time, the first thing to go up is going to be the palisade and some crude surface shelters. I will include screens as soon as I find the site.

EDIT 2.1: Found copious Cobaltite, have started the foundations very nicely. The Gatehouse will be up by tomorrow, I think. Hopefully. Since the foundation will be 2 stories for the gatehouse, 4 stories for the courtyard and keep, it might take some time. Luckily the keep and courtyard are much thinner than the gatehouse and court. All relevent data for the building of this project comes from this site. Warning, awesome Lego guy is awesome. http://www.carneycastle.com/Neuschwanstein/index.htm

EDIT 2.2: I'm changing the design of the ramp to be straight instead of curved. The first floor of the foundations is finished, including an underground (in-foundation) area for a kennel that I will use to tame Unicorns.

Item of note: This embark location has magnetite and limestone and marble. However, it does not have cinnabar, which I need to wall the face of the gatehouse to give it that red colour. Instead I'll just go with the default stone of phyllite until I begin trading (when the castle is finished and defensible).

Screens for Irlam Erlinlanlar 2.0: http://imgur.com/a/Va2YB
Screens of Progress: http://imgur.com/a/Sojdc

EDIT 2.3: Well, the foundation is almost complete, it has taken much longer than anticipated. However, it should be done within 30 minutes now. The gatehouse will go up much more quickly after that. Screens forthcoming.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:56:14 pm by Yamez »
...A True Dwarf does not use silly little "Site Finders", he merely closes one eye and points his finger at a map, then walks there no matter what. If the entire site is on fire, he will dig a hole in the ground; If there is a goblin fortress in the way, he will dig a hole in the ground; If the ground is under 10 layers of water, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Neuschwanstein with Magma!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:16:36 am »

i am 12 and what is Neuschwanstein?
LOSING IS FUN!

Yamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:30:17 am »

Ask your mother.

(It's the famous Castle in Southern Germany that walt disney modelled his castle off of)
...A True Dwarf does not use silly little "Site Finders", he merely closes one eye and points his finger at a map, then walks there no matter what. If the entire site is on fire, he will dig a hole in the ground; If there is a goblin fortress in the way, he will dig a hole in the ground; If the ground is under 10 layers of water, HE WILL DIG A HOLE IN THE GROUND.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:07:19 am »

"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:25:17 am »

Any suggestions for above ground megaconstructions with little to no underground complex?

I think building the castle itself will suffice, truthfully.

Yamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:28:29 am »

Well, it'll have to have an underground cistern for clean water and the like and my quarry itself is underground. I might also invest in an underground storage area since the dining room will be on the first floor. Otherwise, I think everything else will be above ground. It should be about 6 z levels high when it is finished, plus another 4 for the towers.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:06:41 am »

If "Burg" can be construed as meaning "town" at all, it would have to be a fortified one. Ergo, "fortress" is probably a much more precise translation of the word: in fact, I'd probably translate the title of Dwarf Fortress as Zwergenburg into German.

That said, I like your idea a lot.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:20 am »

Burg means fortress. ie Hamberg was origionally a fortress atop a hill besides a river. Also, wasnt Neuschwanstein built by the mad King Ludwig II of Bavaria who sunk the entire fortune of his kingdom into this insanely expensive but very beautiful project? Fitting for Dwarf Fortress. Lang lebe der Schloss Neuschwanstein! Ich denke, dass mein Deutsch ist richtig.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 04:34:34 am »

Lang lebe der Schloss Neuschwanstein! Ich denke, dass mein Deutsch ist richtig ist.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:37:26 am by assimilateur »

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:18 am »

If I may toss in my two pence on that, I always thought "fortress" closer to "Festung" rather than "Burg", and I'd translate "Burg" to "castle".

That being said, I'm following this project with vast interest.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 06:45:42 am »

If I may toss in my two pence on that, I always thought "fortress" closer to "Festung" rather than "Burg", and I'd translate "Burg" to "castle".

I think that's bordering on splitting hairs; my point was that translating "Burg" as "town" would be incorrect or at least imprecise in most contexts.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 06:48:06 am »

Any suggestions for above ground megaconstructions with little to no underground complex?

I think building the castle itself will suffice, truthfully.

But maybe zeppelin made of FB soap?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 06:51:04 am »

I think that's bordering on splitting hairs; my point was that translating "Burg" as "town" would be incorrect or at least imprecise in most contexts.

It is. I only thought I'd point it out, since we're discussing the topic anyway.

The difference between Burg and Festung is marginal anyway.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:13:59 am »

Google gives either festung or berg for fortress, and the whole thing is Zwergenburg (sounds better than with festung, anyway)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 12:58:49 pm »

Go to Germany and you'll see official signage with "Burg ______" for castles. I was just there for Christmas so I doubt the signage has changed in 1 month.

I look forward to seeing Neuschwanstein in DF. Please include Stonesense and Overseer screenshots.
Pages: [1] 2