Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: schools  (Read 1686 times)

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
schools
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:25 pm »

i have an idea! when i was messing around with dwarf therapist i noticed it had an option: enable labor setting on anyone(im a dirty cheater). now we all know children are sitting on their asses doing nothing but eating all our food. there is a solution however:sweatshops schools.

we simply drop all the children down a chute with a dog chained to the bottom. they survive. then we drop some stone/food/whatever down a different chute so they have supplies. we have them build workshops. they build useless crap until they become legends. then we drop the legends down another chute to freedom with a puppy chained at the bottom.

BONUS POINTS for dropping cats down the first chute so they have some company.

edit:it only works if you have dwarf therapist
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:32:11 pm by noob »
LOSING IS FUN!

Doc_LaKock

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken bones? Brb soap.
    • View Profile
Re: schools
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:56:19 pm »

Several flaws:
1. Children cannot use workshops unless possessed by a mood.
2. What is the point of the dogs and puppies chained up?
3. Children cannot build workshops.

I believe you should consult the wiki before establishing these ideas on the forums, but funny concept nonetheless!  :D
Goblins have no sense of humor. Therefore clowns hate them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:14:18 pm »

I built a school in an old 40d fortress.  In 40d it was possible to use pressure plates to reliably separate children from adults.  I had a fortress where all children were automatically diverted into a miniature mini-fort, with beds, a meeting room under a waterfall, wells over a fresh water source, and a spot where food could be dumped in from above.  It even had a craftsdwarf's workshop for strange moods and a tame dragon on a chain to keep them company.  A second set of pressure plates would automatically separate adults from the school population and return them to the main fortress.

Unfortunately, the complete redesign of how creature sizes and pressure plates work for the current version mean it is no longer possible to reliably separate children from adult dwarves automatically.  To build this now you'd need to manually isolate the children somehow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:07 pm »

Several flaws:
1. Children cannot use workshops unless possessed by a mood.
2. What is the point of the dogs and puppies chained up?
3. Children cannot build workshops.

I believe you should consult the wiki before establishing these ideas on the forums, but funny concept nonetheless!  :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
images are big lol
and the puppy would break the fall.

I built a school in an old 40d fortress.  In 40d it was possible to use pressure plates to reliably separate children from adults.  I had a fortress where all children were automatically diverted into a miniature mini-fort, with beds, a meeting room under a waterfall, wells over a fresh water source, and a spot where food could be dumped in from above.  It even had a craftsdwarf's workshop for strange moods and a tame dragon on a chain to keep them company.  A second set of pressure plates would automatically separate adults from the school population and return them to the main fortress.

Unfortunately, the complete redesign of how creature sizes and pressure plates work for the current version mean it is no longer possible to reliably separate children from adult dwarves automatically.  To build this now you'd need to manually isolate the children somehow.

1.get child on hatch
2.pull lever
3.watch child fall harmlessly on puppy chained into a 1x1 room with a pet impassable door
4.? ? ?
5.PROFIT

edit:smilies and images
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:22:00 pm by noob »
LOSING IS FUN!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 12:03:01 am »

you'd need to manually isolate the children somehow.
Burrows?
Can you even assign children to burrows...? I've never had a child in the fortress in .31.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 12:17:06 am »

Burrows?
Can you even assign children to burrows...? I've never had a child in the fortress in .31.
The problem with burrows is that they don't force the dwarf to stay in the burrow.  They just prevent the dwarf from doing any jobs or using any objects outside the burrow.  Children don't do jobs, they just follow their mothers around, and burrows don't stop them from doing that.  You can't assign children to levers, either.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:08:38 am »

I just gave my dwarves [NATURAL_SKILL:FORGE_ARMOR:2] and [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE] in the raws. Now my moods "default" to armorsmithing and I don't have to worry about rust.

Also, no peasants.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 06:31:31 am »

"Allow Labor Setting on anyone" Why should that be a cheat? Am i missing something?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 06:34:31 am »

Burrows?
The problem with burrows is that they don't force the dwarf to stay in the burrow.  They just prevent the dwarf from doing any jobs or using any objects outside the burrow.  Children don't do jobs, they just follow their mothers around, and burrows don't stop them from doing that.  You can't assign children to levers, either.
Won't the kids run to an emergency burrow during a civilian alert though?

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 07:55:43 am »

"Allow Labor Setting on anyone" Why should that be a cheat? Am i missing something?

More workforce.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:01:59 am »

that setting allows kids to work, when normally only adult dwarves can. would it be possible to make BABIES work for you?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:04:56 am »

would it be possible to make BABIES work for you?
No, babies can have labors enabled but they will never actually use them. They are carried around by the mother and do nothing useful.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:17:34 am »

I tried it once just to see what it did but it didn't work.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 11:58:22 am »

Children don't do jobs, they just follow their mothers around, and burrows don't stop them from doing that.
And the only job they will do (construction removal) is pretty useful. What I wouldn't give for dwarven babysitting...

I guess the only way of separating them from adults is for them to have their own bedroom wing, which would never be visited by adults after its initial construction. If that works, then you can figure out what to do with them.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 12:07:57 pm »

Won't the kids run to an emergency burrow during a civilian alert though?
Pages: [1] 2