Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger rooms really are dangerous  (Read 1674 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Danger rooms really are dangerous
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:36:10 pm »

I really want to make a danger room for my military in order to get them to some degree of competency in less than 20 years.  Problem is, I've tried it, and it didn't end well.

Using no quality training spears, 1 per spike, against full steel plated dwarves resulted in dwarves getting skewered the first pull.  They passed out from the pain and immediately got a bunch of holes poked in them.

So I ask you, oh wise Dwarf Fortress community, what in Armok's Beard am I doing wrong?
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms really are dangerous
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:39:30 pm »

Thinking that anything suggested by the community will work like they say it should in YOUR particular copy of the game, in THAT particular world, and in THAT particular fortress.

You may have angered the random number god somehow.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:40:31 pm »

So I ask you, oh wise Dwarf Fortress community, what in Armok's Beard am I doing wrong?

I really want to make a danger room for my military in order to get them to some degree of competency in less than 20 years.  Problem is, I've tried it, and it didn't end well. Using no quality training spears, 1 per spike, against full steel plated dwarves resulted in dwarves getting skewered the first pull.  They passed out from the pain and immediately got a bunch of holes poked in them.

Using no quality training spears, 1 per spike, against full steel plated dwarves resulted in dwarves getting skewered the first pull.  They passed out from the pain and immediately got a bunch of holes poked in them.

passed out from the pain and immediately got a bunch of holes poked in them

From the looks of that I'd say you're doing nothing wrong.
puppywhirrrrrrl

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:52:56 pm »

I think I know what's wrong.  Were the skewered dwarves active in the military at the time of death?  I've noticed that if I lock a dwarf in a danger room while they're on civvie mode, they'll sit there and eat spears until they take damage and die, but if they're in militia mode they'll block and parry and stuff.  Second question: Did they have shields?  Third question: did they have cloaks and other secondary coverings?  If you did all those right, then I have no idea what went wrong.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:57 pm »

Are they wooden spears?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »

Are they menacing wooden spikes?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 10:04:20 pm »

Did they have time to equip ALL their armor parts?

In the battle reports, was it written, say, "spinning wooden training spear bruises left hand muscle through steel gauntlet" ? Any evidence of the presence of armor and clothes?

Try adding clothes to their equipment list (a cloak, a dress/robe...) and changing "Partial match" to "Exact match".

I never activate a danger room without monitoring it. I check soldier inventories, wounds, and stand ready to cancel the lever pulling.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:19:50 pm »

Wooden spears, training ones no less.

It might have been an issue of not being active.  To do this I simply select the squad through the Squads menu and make sure it is set to Active/Training, right?

I'll have to try the clothing idea, though I dislike clothes because they cause clutter that is quite difficult to get rid of.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 11:33:54 pm »

I've noticed that if I lock a dwarf in a danger room while they're on civvie mode, they'll sit there and eat spears until they take damage and die
Weird. I set up a danger area to push deactivated militia into water, and they'd spend a lot of time blocking spears before dodging into the water. They were pretty high-levelled at that point though.

OP, do you have an earlier save you can use to try and replicate the problem? What do you consider to be full steel plate?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:54:04 am »

Full steel plate is full steel plate, they were high quality too.

Greaves
High Boots
Gauntlets
Shield
Breastplate
Helm

I'm going to try again making sure they have cloak/robes equipped and see if they don't get perforated by wood this time.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 03:50:26 am »

You could probably throw in a mail shirt while you're at it.

Danger rooms aren't truly dangerous until you get stunned and stop blocking/dodging.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

DaneAxe

• Bay Watcher
  • Stunted Viking
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 04:18:14 am »

Are they menacing wooden spikes?

This I suspect. I did this first time I built a danger room and annhilated my population. First the army, then everyone else comming to claim their bodies socks. Greedy buggers.

Are they recieving a specific trend of injuries? E.g: to neck etc... If so it may be because you're lacking some kit such as cloaks.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:26:15 am »

Are you sure you haven't had some metal-weapon sneak in there by accident?

Active/Inactive doesn't seem to matter, all that they need is to wear armor when they enter the room and it does all the work(assuming the dwarf doesn't dodge). Even civilians who go there have had the training spears bounce off from their xsilk clothingx. Then there's that guy who decided to take a nap there. Didn't take any damage during his sleep, spears kept bouncing off.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 06:05:17 am »

You want to set the spears as a burrow and set the military to defend burrows. This puts them in angry mode, ready for anything. If they're set to train, they'll stand around and listen to their squad leader blather on about something he knows nothing about.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 06:26:52 am »

You're missing a cloak.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)
Pages: [1] 2