Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Betelgeuse to go "Boom" in 2012, +/- 1,000,000 years  (Read 3634 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Betelgeuse to go "Boom" in 2012, +/- 1,000,000 years
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 08:40:37 pm »

You know what I think is absolutely fascinating?

This might happen sometime in the next million years.  Think about how many times it has happened in the last oh...three, four hundred million years.

Bright light day and night for a couple weeks.  It's happened before, while life was still around.  Not intelligent life--well, maybe it caught some early early humans--but at least as smart as other animals today.

I wonder what the dinosaurs thought when it happened to them, probably more than once.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:23:21 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
However, with distance estimates in the last century that have ranged anywhere from 180 to 1,300 light years from Earth, calculating its diameter, luminosity and mass have proven difficult. Betelgeuse is currently thought to lie around 640 light years away...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse
The temporal language of that article bugs me.  If Beletegeuse blew up, then it blew up quite some time ago and referring to it in the future tense makes me wince.
/english_nazi

perhaps time is relative.

we experience intersteller time, as light reaches us
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:30:48 pm »

This might happen sometime in the next million years.  Think about how many times it has happened in the last oh...three, four hundred million years.

Bright light day and night for a couple weeks.  It's happened before, while life was still around.  Not intelligent life--well, maybe it caught some early early humans--but at least as smart as other animals today.

I wonder what the dinosaurs thought when it happened to them, probably more than once.

I think it happened around 1000 AD, actually.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 01:33:39 am »

Actual scientist says, "Probably won't be quite that bright".

But yeah, it would still be pretty cool, if it happened during my lifetime.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 03:40:59 am »

I'm not affected by the news article, news always make it sound several times worse or better.
Hello Hunam

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 04:26:40 am »

I think it happened around 1000 AD, actually.
IIRC, there's a theory that such an event happened around 1 AD, which we know as the Star of Bethlehem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 05:47:54 am »

Those events probably weren't "bright as day for a couple weeks", though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 07:43:04 am »

Those events probably weren't "bright as day for a couple weeks", though.
But they would fit in nicely with the stuff in the article Karlito posted.
[/post]

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:32:15 am »

Only a million-year error margin? They must be serious about this star going boom any second now. Yeah, it'd be awesome to have something like this happen in my lifetime. I bet the Mayans never saw a star this big explode this close. And even if they had, they wouldn't have know what it was! Hah! Stupid Mayans.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 10:54:13 am »

By the time we see it, we'll already be a million years(or less) after it due to the weird temporal stuff in space.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 11:04:53 am »

By the time we see it, we'll already be a million years(or less) after it due to the weird temporal stuff in space.

Betelgeuse is about six hundred light years away. We will see its explosion about six hundred years after the fact. There isn't THAT much weird temporal stuff in space.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 11:56:15 am »

Here's hoping that we see this before we're part of the fossil record. Preferably in December 2012 so we can watch the world not end and enjoy a few days where it's not dark at 3 in the afternoon.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »

However, with distance estimates in the last century that have ranged anywhere from 180 to 1,300 light years from Earth, calculating its diameter, luminosity and mass have proven difficult. Betelgeuse is currently thought to lie around 640 light years away...
The temporal language of that article bugs me.  If Beletegeuse blew up, then it blew up quite some time ago and referring to it in the future tense makes me wince.
/english_nazi

If it blew up a while ago, but we only know whether or not it did in the future, what tense is that?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »

Maybe revise the theory so that it is the end of the world for vampires.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 06:50:10 pm »

/english_nazi

If it blew up a while ago, but we only know whether or not it did in the future, what tense is that?
Doesn't matter, astronomers measure the time of an event from the moment they observe it, because for most events they don't even know how far it happened. It's easier to talk about the June 1986 gamma ray then to talk about the 503 million BC give-or-take 20 million gamma ray.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4