Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36

Author Topic: The questions, riddles and puzzles thread  (Read 37355 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The questions, riddles and puzzles thread
« Reply #270 on: March 19, 2011, 08:26:43 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Got it. For added fun, try to adapt that to the situation where the velocity and initial position are rational numbers.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 22, 2011, 09:03:40 am »

Here's a new one:

You are in charge of distributing pills to sick people are part of a medical trial. You are given lots of bottles of pills (an arbitrarily large amount). Some of them contain placebos, and some of them contain experimental drugs (and are thus heavier). They are otherwise identical. Unfortunately, during delivery of the pills, all the labels fell off the bottles and you can no longer tell the difference between them. You must therefore identify which of the bottles are which. To aid you in this task, you have an electric scale. However, due to battery constrainst, it only has enough energy to weigh two loads.

How do you identify the pills?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 22, 2011, 12:03:14 pm »

I'm at a loss here. I don't think that there's any way to figure out which is which, given an infinite number of bottles and an unsure ratio. I suppose that the easiest thing to do would be to make your own balance scale.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 22, 2011, 12:27:51 pm »

Let's say you have two bottles, an arbitrarily large amount, one placebo, one medicine. In this case, you can do it in one measurement, obviously.

Suppose you have three, 2 placebo, one medicine. In this case, you can still do it in one measurement. If two bottles weigh the same, they are the placebos, and if one is heavier than the other, then you've found the one medicine. Assuming you know how many you have of each, that is. Otherwise, you'd need to measure both.

With 4 bottles, you can do it in two measures. Put two bottles on each side of the scale, If one side is heavier than the other, you're done. If equal, remove one bottle from each. One side will drop down. Put the bottle you removed from the other side with that one, and vice versa.

But as the number of bottles exceeds 4, the ability to make these comparisons swiftly deteriorates.
!!&!!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 22, 2011, 05:26:34 pm »

Apologies, I believe you will need three weighings in order to work it out.

You can take pills from the bottles, you don't have to weigh the bottles themselves.

If it helps, if you know the weights of both, then you can figure out which is which in one measurement.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2011, 10:06:45 pm »

I'm still not sure what the idea is. Using only three weighings, are we supposed to be able to identify all of the bottles?

Because, I've seen this type of puzzle before, but only with a single out of place item that needs to be separated, not many.
!!&!!

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »

Yeah, this seems to be incompletely specified. There's an arbitrarily large number of bottles, how do you identify them with a finite number of weighings?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 23, 2011, 05:29:00 am »

Consider the following situation, in which you know the weight of the placebo (A) and the weight of the real pill (B). Let N be the number of bottles.
Number the bottles from 1 to N.
find some integer K such that A<K and B<K.
put on the scales one pill from bottle 1, K pills from bottle 2, etc, so you have KN-1 from bottle N.
weigh the pills, and put the weight in base K.
You should now have an N digit number, where each of the digits is A or B. The rightmost digit corresponds to bottle 1, the next to bottle 2, etc. If a digit is A, then it is a placebo. If a digit is B, then it is a real pill.
So if you know the weight of both, then you can do it in one measurement.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 23, 2011, 06:12:47 am »

Ohhhh.  That kind of scale.

See, there's a very similar and very common problem involving a mechanical scale, where you have two trays and can only measure which one is heavier or if they're equal.  I skipped right over reading 'electric scale'.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 23, 2011, 10:19:20 am »

Here's another one:

There is a man who wants to escape from prison. This particular prison only has one way in/out: a rickety bridge over a large chasm. It takes fifteen minutes to walk across it, and it is too rickety and unstable to be ran across. There are no locked doors or anything between the man and the bridge; if we wants to, he can try to walk across at any time.

However, there is a guard stationed near the prison end of the bridge. If someone comes to him from across the bridge, he will tell them that the area is off-limits and send them away. If he sees anyone trying to leave the prison across the bridge, he will shoot them (unless they are one of the people who approached from the other side and have been sent away).

However, the guard is a very lazy man, and can't be bothered to watch the bridge all the time. Instead, he only checks it every ten minutes.

How does the prisoner escape?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 23, 2011, 10:22:08 am »

He waits until the guardsman looks, then walks across for about 9:30 minutes, walks back for half a minute, and gets sent away. Profit!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 23, 2011, 10:26:17 am »

He waits until the guardsman looks, then walks across for about 9:30 minutes, walks back for half a minute, and gets sent away. Profit!
Yep, that was a fairly simple one.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 23, 2011, 10:29:44 am »

Simon the sorcerer 3D had a similar riddle.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 23, 2011, 11:40:22 am »

On the pill bottle question front:

I've been examining my solution, and I can confirm that it is doable in only two measurements, if you are given that there is at least one bottle of real pills and at least one bottle of placebos.

EDIT: It also requires the ratio between the two pill weights to be a rational number
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:37:30 pm by ed boy »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 23, 2011, 12:39:01 pm »

That's a really elegant way to do it, however, doesn't it fail if you've got a lot of bottles with only a few pills per bottle?
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36