Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Best Anti-virus out there  (Read 4838 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: Best Anti-virus out there
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 07:28:20 pm »

Another vote for COMODO here. On systems that are generally very secure, or don't need all the real-time protection, ClamWin is another fantastic option.

COMODO has an incredible featureset, but that power comes at the price of being slightly more difficult to work with in certain circumstances. If you're an advanced / experienced PC user, it's great.

They even make a Chromium-based browser if you want hyper security for daily web use built right into your browser, though I haven't honestly used it much.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 07:32:43 pm »

I like kaspersky. Pretty reliable as long as you run its update daily, but not recommended if you have a low end machine or a slow internet, if you wanna leave it on at all times at least, you can just run a full scan once a week and update it, then close it.

Its not free though, haven't found a single free anti-virus that was reliable.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 07:40:00 pm »

Just about to go to bed buttt, I know the topic is in the wrong forum I did it on purpose because it can still be counted for being in this fourm cause it's still on the topic of games... Should have put best anti-virus for gameing :P.

And tomorrow will post up a poll for people to pick there gave anti-virus and get a overal preferred anti-virus 
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 08:35:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree with the above quote.

I'd like to think the reason Spybot never finds anything is it blocks so much with it's immunization feature, but you are right, it is strange that it never finds anything except for the first time the search is run when initially installed to a computer that's been on the internet a while. One thing to note is that TeaTimer (a real time component of Spybot) can take quite a bit of resources to run and thus for very old computers can cause load times on a restart for example to double or more. It's easy to disable however if you still would like to use only the excellent toolkit or Immunization inside Spybot S&D.

I've also been using a program called Advanced System Care, (free version). The name makes it sound like one of those scam ads, but it seems to work quite well and has a nice selection of tools. It's made by I/O Bit, and they also make a few other programs I'd recommend. One is I/O Bit Internet Security 360, and the other is their Defrag Optimizer tool. The Defrag tool in particular saved a computer I bought for 20$ which could not be defragged by the Windows version. The downside is that eventually Advanced System Care will notify you of system errors that can be corrected with the paid version, and I'm not sure if these are legit or not, or even possibly caused by the software itself. These errors are likely not the software's fault, of course, but it's only fair to mention the possibility.

I also highly recommend Peerblock or a similar software.

In your Firefox browers, No-Script add-on is a godsend and easy to operate once you figure out which of the things on a page it blocks are ads, trackers, and similar connections, as it operates from a right click menu. It will block things you want to load on a page, of course, but it's possible to enable it easily, with the exception being pages loaded with extra connections. For example, you can load a youtube video by enabling the connections obviously affiliated with youtube, and leaving ones like [ads.mediatracker] blocked. I'd rather have it be this way and have everything initially blocked so I can choose which I'd like enabled.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:50:39 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 09:11:05 pm »

I'm using NOD32, never had any problem.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:36 pm »

I agree about No-Script, that teamed up with AdBlockPlus and Stylish for Firefox really help. With good teamwork, ads would only be a memory. No-Script would prevent scripts from loading on start, AdBlockPlus would be another stage of protection if/when needed, where NoScript may or may not guard from, and Stylish and scripts for it to clean up sites make them more tolerable to go through. Some of those Stylish scripts can probably even prevent executions of some pop-ups and etc, if done right.

Spybot has been only pulling up tracking cookies lately, and I agree on the worrying factor of that as well. Hell, even MalwareBytes has been reading all 0's on findings, and I tend to run these monthly. Avast has been the only other program that has been puuling things out that the previous programs have noticed, of course, that's when doing a full-blown megascan all over the place (preset parameters to scan every single file in the select folders, bootscans, and etc., and repair, if can't, then move to chest, if can't delete.).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:53 pm »

I agree about No-Script, that teamed up with AdBlockPlus and Stylish for Firefox really help. With good teamwork, ads would only be a memory.

Good luck finding another way for websites to make enough revenue to stay afloat, I guess.

I have AdBlock Plus, but I only use it to block ads that are actively malicious, or lag my browser, or whatever. A banner ad isn't exactly going to invoke my wrath.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2011, 12:57:30 am »

I've been using AVG as my main virus scanner for awhile now, but as others said, I am really starting to get tired of AVG. It has some Search Shield, or link scanner or some internet protection that lags up my internet. And for some reason it still runs when I turn it off.... 

I have also used malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy, and I would recommend them to anyone. Also, on my laptop, there came a year of mcafee, and I don't really like it, but whatever, it was free.

I would definitely agree that the best virus protection is avoiding them through common sense. Quite many people are terrified of viruses, but as long as you are relatively careful and scan every now and then, viruses aren't usually a problem.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2011, 04:33:50 am »

Less annoying then the Avast reminders anyways.

There is thing like settings.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »

I use Avira and Spybot personally, but they've both been irritating lately.  Avira is still consistently popping up ads on the free version (you used to be able to disable that).  The TeaTimer component of Spybot has been having CPU spikes...it'll take up 50% on my laptops for minutes at a time for no apparent reason when games are being played, causing massive FPS drops.

From the recommendations here, sounds like I'll be looking into Comodo...it is free, yes?

KG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2011, 12:52:31 pm »

I use Kaspersky, and it's never failed me before. Well, alright, it failed me once, but that was both because the malware was newly created and that I failed to change it from the default settings (I recommend turning deep scan on, it takes much longer, but works much better.).

A word of warning: Don't use CA Security. Not only did it fail to catch the first malware program to attack the computer I had at the time, but it was seemingly made useless by the very same malware. By the time I finally dealt with the thing it had corrupted the automatic link between my programs and their registry entries. Let me tell you, fixing that was not fun.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2011, 05:57:04 pm »

Kaspersky user here, after having experience with Norton and McAfee I can say I love it much more. I've only had a few (quick to resolve) issues with it, mainly with it putting games in the High Restricted ruleset pseudorandomly (after having played the game in question before).

Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as a backup scanner. Hear their paid version is nice.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »

I'll vote for Spyware Doctor.
Google gives it away free:  http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html?hl=en
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 07:55:19 pm »

The TeaTimer component of Spybot has been having CPU spikes...it'll take up 50% on my laptops for minutes at a time for no apparent reason when games are being played, causing massive FPS drops.
Teatimer is an optional component. But I think you may have to reinstall to get rid of it.
From the recommendations here, sounds like I'll be looking into Comodo...it is free, yes?
It is indeed free. At least there is a free version. Without adds.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:43 pm »

Microsoft Security Essentials, now just because microshit made it doesn't mean it sucks, its free and is very good compared to AVG and Avast whom commented that Essentials is a good competitor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4