Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculous Engravings.  (Read 549 times)

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
Ridiculous Engravings.
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:04:43 pm »

Time to post those utterly ridiculous engravings your dwarves have come up with...

1. Engraved is a fine erith Isaniden rendition of a finely designed image of forgotten beasts.

a) You have never seen a forgotten beast.
b) They are forgotten.
c) You would have died if you had the time to see a orgotten beast, which you have not.

2. Engraved on the floor is a well designed image of crossbows by erith Isaniden.

a) Since when were you Leonardo da Vinci? 'Nuff said.

3. Engraved on the floor is a well designed image of clouds by erith Isaniden.

a) Clouds are meant to be in the sky, not on the ground.
b) You were outside for a few minutes, before retreating into the dining hall forever.

4. Engraved on the rock is a well designed image of a mussel, by erith Isaniden.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:15:28 pm by Soapalope »
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous Engravings.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:08:09 pm »

1. Engraved is a fine erith Isaniden rendition of a finely designed image of forgotten beasts.

Civ/group symbol. Lucky.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »

I love how the game treats forgotten beasts as just another type of creature when it comes to engravings. The guy probably tried to draw a cow, accidently gave it 6 legs and 2 tails, realized erasers* haven't been invented yet and said "Fuck it. It's a forgotten beast."

*Dwarven erasers are made out of rock. Duh.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:26:04 pm »

Well, I dunno, we can perfectly draw (or at least attempt to) hippopotamuses, sharks, piranhas, crocodiles, most of Australia's fauna, bears and large felines despite having never approached one in person, and chances are high we would suffer if directly confronted to one. Beside, Forgotten Beasts are pretty damn easy to draw to begin with: just create something weird with several eyes or none, a buncha legs, feathers, and horns, and bam! Call that a Forgotten Beast! Or even easier, draw a round. Say it's a blob. ???. Profit.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:29:09 pm »

I suppose they could make something up, and claim it's a forgotten beast. Same as if we were to draw a dragon or minotaur. We've never seen one IRL. But they're still bad-ass things to draw.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »

In a recent fortress, I was upgrading my Baron's tomb after he was promoted to Duke and his old one wasn't good enough.  I set my best engraver to work engraving the entire floor.  After he finishes, I check to see what he's done.

Right next to the Duke's future tomb is an engraving of the duke, surrounded by worms, looking terrified.

... wow, I guess this shows me Urist McEngraver's thoughts on being asked to decorate the duke's tomb.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:35:57 pm »

The dwarfs have a vivid culture of oral history. Exact description of every forgotten beast (including special attacks) are passed on from generation to generation. How else would you get all that info when one shows up.

My favorite from some forts ago:
Engraved is a masterful image of a crutch, a symbol of a local dwarven government.

Another gem from my current fort:
Engraved is an exceptional Sibrek Ustuthinal rendition of an image of a square. The image is the symbol of the Merchant of Blocking a local dwarven government.
Kinda fitting considering my living quarters design.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:05:41 pm by shlorf »