Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Please Share Your Dining Room Designs  (Read 14023 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Re: Please Share Your Dinning Room Designs
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 08:49:53 pm »

Might put some doors in, might just make the corridor a kind of antechamber to the main dining room.

Ooh, I couldn't help but notice that you use the exact same circle that I do,
5 wide, with two shift-directions from the innermost tile of one side, to the innermost tile on the other side?

Such a wonderful set up. I use it for spiral entryways, then channel out the center.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 09:30:23 pm »

80 gold tables and chairs; green glass, rose gold, steel, silver, sterling silver, & platinum flooring; the well is made of platinum blocks, a gold chain, and is surrounded by petrified wood fortifications (as well as blood); prepared food, an assortment of booze, and animals behind green glass windows (the animals are only on the first Z at the moment). The building and pillars (both those with and without animals) go up 8 Z-layers and will eventually reach the sky (only ~14 Zs from the map's ceiling at the hall's highest point) and be freestanding.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh! I also forgot to mention I just collapsed the layers around the hall which is why there is so much stone around it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 09:39:18 pm by Bererez »
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »

5 wide, with two shift-directions from the innermost tile of one side, to the innermost tile on the other side?
The closest I can get is two shifts from the inside of the spiral to the inside of the dining room.

Such a wonderful set up. I use it for spiral entryways, then channel out the center.
I was considering doing that, or putting a staircase shaft in, but I didn't want things falling down there if any fighting happened. I already have one basement express, thank you.

The pinwheel design is actually really good for expansion (I designed it for a lack of pathing slowdown and to be wide enough for a depot. What can I say, my dwarves spend a lot of time living in the corridors). Since it's so vertical and digs out little stone compared to most other designs, you can slap down dwarf dips all over the place without infringing on the layer below.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 12:21:59 am »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
OTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
ESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
OTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
OCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

T=table
C=chair
O=engraving
E=enterance
S=masterwork statue
LOSING IS FUN!

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 01:19:24 am »

A square with a mist generator in the middle and tables facing the statues. Engraved floors, smoothed walls.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 02:28:38 am »

I like to go with a circular design - sometimes with an entrance on the side, sometimes the entrance is simply the main stairwell, going through the center of the room.  A few pillars for aesthetics, usually 2x2 sometimes 3x3 with engravings.  Floor's engraved in places, but not entirely, that just looks silly.  Everything's typically arranged nicely, circle-ishly like the room.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 03:46:00 am »

A 45 radius circle of fully engraved stone with chairs placed to form concentric circles.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

DaneAxe

• Bay Watcher
  • Stunted Viking
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 04:13:36 am »

A picture is worth a thousand words:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Effectively my idea of a dwarven hall as it should be: Massive and ostenatious. It's highly inefficient but it is what I want... so tired of building stacked forts on a central staircase!

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 04:16:57 am »

I like to carve out multi-Z level uber-dining halls, with every level engraved as I carve it down. At the moment, my "elite" dining hall (I have four, "Pleb", "Prole", "Patrician" and "Elite") is the deepest down, and is paved with clear glass flooring that overlooks the vast 2nd level caverns. I built in various catwalks and special display cases for things. I have stocked it with a menagerie of all various beasties I cage.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 04:59:49 am »

Wow thanks all, got some very nice ideas. Btw awesome dinning rooms everyone  8)
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: Please Share Your Dining Room Designs
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 06:09:21 am »

I forgot to mention the "Elite" hall's CHESS SET, which is what happened when I made about 200 statues and have enough to make matching chess sets out of what was carved. The pawns are dwarves, the rooks are groups of dwarves, the knights are monsters (specifically, FBs), the bishops are statues of the Baroness, the queens are the female hoary marmot goddess and the kings are the male god of war. White is dolomite, red is bauxite.

I still have 150 statues left, but whatever, I had to have matching sets.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 06:12:02 am »

I'm boring with these.  My dining room is normally 23x11, with the 22 being the horizontal dimension, smoothed, with a bunch of tables and chairs, and a well if the fort lasts that long before dying of FPS or an idea for a new fort.

Sounds like your fort is composed of mainly 11x11 rooms? I do that.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 12:47:25 pm »

I forgot to mention the "Elite" hall's CHESS SET, which is what happened when I made about 200 statues and have enough to make matching chess sets out of what was carved. The pawns are dwarves, the rooks are groups of dwarves, the knights are monsters (specifically, FBs), the bishops are statues of the Baroness, the queens are the female hoary marmot goddess and the kings are the male god of war. White is dolomite, red is bauxite.

I am so going to do this (with rose gold and gold because I like rose gold)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:50:37 pm by Bererez »
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 03:01:11 pm »

Really wicked idea, this!  :)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 03:43:33 pm »

My god, I just realised how completely unoriginal and boring my designs are.

4 4x4 areas, with two spaces between each other and the walls makes my dining room. The 4x4 spaces have a row of tables on the inside and chairs on the outside. Like benches. There's a kitchen to the side, along with a food / booze stockpile.

I mean, somethings I add alcoves for statues if I'm feeling saucy, but... wow. I'm no Moria designer it seems.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!
Pages: 1 [2]