Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How did you hear about DF?  (Read 2839 times)

Gimmick Account

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did you hear about DF?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

Curiosity finally got the better of me after I clicked on the X-th iteration of the Dwarf Fortress megathread on Something Awful. Checking the 'Latest Developments' link has become part of my daily morning routine since then.

Fun fact: I actually tried my hand at Dwarf Fortress only some time after I started posting on these forums! The concept and scope of the game, as well as the countless tales of other players' fortresses and adventurers were incredibly intriguing, but at the time everything seemed so... daunting. And I say that as an ADOM veteran.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 11:51:00 pm »

^^^^
I agree about how daunting it is. I'm an Angband, MacMoria, and TOME veteran, but even I tried playing this game and actually gave up on it first. A week later or so, I tried again, after seeing how much fun people were having in the somethingawful thread. Thanks to their tutorial I was able to get a farm working, and then I was hooked.

That's one huge problem...a person CANNOT teach this game to themselves. Farming is totally counter intuitive. I spent the longest time wondering why I couldn't build a farm outside the mountain, where a farm belongs (sunlight!).

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2007, 11:39:00 am »

You can teach this game to yourself, it just takes patience and experimentation. It is quite a challenge though, that's what makes it fun.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 07:23:00 pm »

quote:
Farming is totally counter intuitive. I spent the longest time wondering why I couldn't build a farm outside the mountain, where a farm belongs (sunlight!).

You are one who lives under the sun.
Dwarves are those who live in caves.
I am one who probably has mushrooms growing in the room.

Three different points of view, three different senses of "intuitive".

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

"That's one huge problem...a person CANNOT teach this game to themselves. Farming is totally counter intuitive. I spent the longest time wondering why I couldn't build a farm outside the mountain, where a farm belongs (sunlight!)."

I always figure out games myself and it took me two weeks to figure out i could dig into the mountain!!!!!!!!
Boy was i amazed and bewondered!!!! lol
everything made alot more sense then...

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

RPG Codex

Hydrakana

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 04:41:00 am »

Page 46 of an Australian PC gaming mag 'PC PowerPlay' issue #138.
They also included the game on their cover DVD.
I was playing Oblivion at the time and was hooked.  The first time I tried DF during a break from Oblivion, I couldnt get into it.  After a couple of goes trying to work it out I found it to be so good and indepth I put Oblivion away for good   :p

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 03:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by teabing:
<STRONG>i was reading an article regarding nethack, and it mentioned DF as a similar game to try out.</STRONG>

The same with me, if you're refering to John Harris' "@ Play" series, then yes.

quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil

Phazon77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

The Penny-arcade forums. The DF thread fluctuates in popularity, and right now its in full swing again with a bunch of noobs. I started playng DF awhile back though, at least 6-8 months. Where before I was asking questions now I am helping everyone out. Its kinda cool.

[ May 09, 2007: Message edited by: Phazon77 ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2007, 04:18:00 am »

I've just been googling around for roguelikes. I noticed DF then, but at first glance it didn't seem all that interesting (I'm usually not a fan of economy-type strategy games). Then I saw a thread about it at www.ag.ru  with a more or less detailed description, and decided to give it another try..  And I'm still here!  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 [3]