Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Unofficial List of Stupidly Overpowered Game-breaking Things  (Read 7195 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial List of Stupidly Overpowered Game-breaking Things
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 09:35:57 am »

34. Dwarves
Cost: nothing, except for babies, children, and non-working nobles
Reward: Infinite source of labour, easily replaceable and trainable, are capable of providing for themselves in case of excess numbers.

31. Moats
Dig a two-tile moat and remove only the ramps on the invaders' side. Then laugh.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 09:50:00 am »

OK some of these are not quite so overpowered...

Indeed, I think we've moved beyond things that are gamebreakingly overpowered, to things that are just really good, to things in the game, to things rated "D for Dwarf" :)

If I had to pick things that I feel are overpowered (repeats ahead) they would be:

Walls (or at least, completely surrounded by walls/bridges), cage traps, danger rooms, and large serrated disks (for selling at least, build two and you can buy out the entire caravan, or at least anything useful in it).

As a result I don't use any of the above (well except cage traps sometimes for hunting, but not for protection). 

Magma is probably overpowered too I guess, at least with the addition of the magma sea meaning that you can quickly build a magmaworks in your base and have unlimited fuel for nearly no work on your part.  I have debated not using that too, or only allowing myself to only use it for traps or only use it if I bring it to the surface first or something just to add some difficulty. 

Steel is up there too, if you have all the materials and magma forges set up its pretty easy to put it together and its pretty powerful.

Of course really the regular game is all about survival, once you've done that you'll most likely be fine, since I've downloaded Fortress Defense II I've needed everything I can get (though I still don't use cage traps or total wall in).

-MB

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 09:55:09 am »

OK some of these are not quite so overpowered...

Indeed, I think we've moved beyond things that are gamebreakingly overpowered, to things that are just really good, to things in the game, to things rated "D for Dwarf" :)

If I had to pick things that I feel are overpowered (repeats ahead) they would be:

Walls (or at least, completely surrounded by walls/bridges), cage traps, danger rooms, and large serrated disks (for selling at least, build two and you can buy out the entire caravan, or at least anything useful in it).

As a result I don't use any of the above (well except cage traps sometimes for hunting, but not for protection). 

Magma is probably overpowered too I guess, at least with the addition of the magma sea meaning that you can quickly build a magmaworks in your base and have unlimited fuel for nearly no work on your part.  I have debated not using that too, or only allowing myself to only use it for traps or only use it if I bring it to the surface first or something just to add some difficulty. 

Steel is up there too, if you have all the materials and magma forges set up its pretty easy to put it together and its pretty powerful.

Of course really the regular game is all about survival, once you've done that you'll most likely be fine, since I've downloaded Fortress Defense II I've needed everything I can get (though I still don't use cage traps or total wall in).

-MB
agreed, but I think food, glass, and wood axes still belong.

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:32 am »

most of these things dont break the game on their one, other missing feathures break it
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 10:13:40 am »

Magma, for: Reasons already given. Unlimited fuel, cheap n' easy superweapon, yadda yadda yadda.
DANGER ROOMS, for: Reasons already given. Admittedly, danger rooms are almost 100% necessary considering just how slowly dwarves train their skills (even with full-time training and no inbound threats, no skill ups even within a year,) but they're so overpowered. Yes, I understand that Toady must have implemented wooden training weapons for a reason, no I don't understand why dwarves train so unreliably without them.

Here's one that nobody's said yet: Giant olms. Holy shit, they just bite goblins right in half, at least the only times I've ever seen them on the field anyhoo.

Armor is vital to survival in real life, so that isn't really overpowered, and it's only realistic that two people of equal power and skill and armor and arms would take forever to kill each other. Walls aren't overpowered, since they do exactly what they're supposed to do. Danger rooms are unrealistically good at training dwarves, and magma is also way too easy to use and manipulate compared to how it is in real life. If things like magma-smelters could exist in real life well okay, but they don't. Magma is hot enough in real life that it should really even kill dwarves and other creatures that come within a few unseparated tiles of it. I've never played with magma within easy access, personally, mostly because I'm more concerned with things like getting a high biodiversity at start. I almost always start on a tropical moist broadleaf forest for that reason, and since I don't play with adv. setup parameters, I don't usually get volcanos on those tiles. I also like water more than lava anyway because it's harder to weaponize, and it's also more realistic.  I really don't like this whole player mindset that magma immediately makes everything cooler... even though it usually does.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 10:26:01 am »

free bags and barrels at embark (you ordered 1 of each type of 2 costing food? -- FANTASTIC, sir I'll throw in a masterwork gold barrel -- FOR EACH)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:10 am »

Armor is vital to survival in real life, so that isn't really overpowered, and it's only realistic that two people of equal power and skill and armor and arms would take forever to kill each other. Walls aren't overpowered, since they do exactly what they're supposed to do.

True, however (in vanilla at least) if I'm not mistaken the only race able to get steel is dwarves (which you can never go to war with) so if you have steel you'll have superior equipment to everything (and that doesn't include "cotton candy", but at least that requires some risk or luck to get any serious amount).

And as for walls, sure they do what they are supposed to do, but unlike in the real world nothing can get through a single tile thick wall regardless.. A giant, or an army of goblins, just cannot dig there way through a wall of dirt, or smash down a wall of sand.  Heck I'd be ok if they could break down a drawbridge but they cannot even do that, thus if you make yourself completely walled in you are completely protected save flying creatures (which tend to be few and far between).  I deal with it by only allowing myself to use doors or floodgates, no drawbridges, at my main entrance (which has to be at least three tiles wide), that way I can block weaker creatures, but as soon as a building destroyer shows up I need backup.

-MB

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:45 am »

Pikes. It seems that every hit gets a nerve, which means that the dwarf might as well be dead.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 12:00:59 pm »

agreed, but I think food, glass, and wood axes still belong.

I didn't know about wood axes. Lame.

Glass takes forever to get going and isn't exceptionally good at anything but free cutting/decorating material, so I wouldn't call it overpowered.

Food is just annoying. It might as well not even be in the game, considering how abundant it becomes after one growing season.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 12:04:13 pm »

I have use for glass things.

Glass Trap Components
Cost: One collect sand job per item
Reward: Random-strength traps, could be like poking them with gold the first time, then save and reload and they could be better than adamantine.

They make nice prisoner pit decorations when hooked up to a repeater. Every time I load the game, the prisoners get different injuries.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41:05 pm »

I used to be all about the fortifications, but then my dorfs ended up being shot through them.  No longer interested in making those death traps.

put a 1 tile wide impassable moat on the outside.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 12:42:29 pm »

infinate dump capacity

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2011, 02:11:32 pm »

35) (I dont know why nobody mention this before...  also, adv mode)
Cost: get a lot of shields (9~10) remove the shields from the backpack
Reward: no need to wear armor, never get hit again

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 03:51:01 pm »

Stone: You get night-infinite amounts (well, more than you really need anyway). Can be used to make walls, bridges, mechanisms, furniture and crafts. There are only 2 downsides to using stone: the mere objets in tha game the less FPS, and is screws up stockpiles (but that is easilly remedied by quantum stockpiles).
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 05:06:15 pm »

I appreciate the sentiment, but saying stone is OP is just silly. Plus, it's the lowest-value and heaviest building material.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6