Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ocean Leakage  (Read 749 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ocean Leakage
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:06:10 pm »

I have stumbled upon a curious situation - water is appearing in a certain area of my fortress and there are no holes through which it can enter.

I embarked next to the ocean, at the delta of a river. Recently, I dismantled the two largest islands of the delta in order to get better water flow, and hollowed out a piece of the peninsula which was also part of the delta. As part of hollowing out the peninsula, I blocked off, covered over, and dug into a short straight of water, letting a fair amount of water into my fortress, with a large empty area for it to spread into and evaporate. A long time later, I noticed that the water not only still existed, but it had spread out a lot farther than I thought it should, and it still had some squares at 2/7 instead of just 1/7. After some experimentation, I discovered that water seems to be spontaneously forming underneath the pieces of land where the ocean waves fall - has anyone else noticed this?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Ocean Leakage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »

When ocean waves crash over solid surfaces, they can deposit water in spaces underneath.  I have a current fortress with a platform just beneath the ocean surface that I can isolate and pump dry, and I need to keep the pumps constantly running because waves keep dumping water into it.  Ocean waves seem to have their paths and where they'll deposit water fixed when the map is created, despite any walls or structures you might build, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them depositing water straight through constructed walls or floors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:35 pm »

While wave runs over ocean it passes through every obstacle indeed. After it hits beach it plays fair, it can't even pass diagonally. Wave falls down it produces water. Probably in your case you got combination of those two.
I've discovered that once when I've tried to pull a cave-in to pass aquifer, I've ended up with a huge hole into my fort right under the waves, I hadn't ever recovered some of the flooded parts.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:15:06 pm »

Wow, this game is even capable of replicating the seeping of ocean water through sand!? DF never ceases to keep surprising me.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »

I'm not sure if I was clear enough here. The wave goes over a beach which used to be a (small) cliff, and it spawns water in the hollowed space under the beach. When the wave goes over a natural beach, the hollowed space under that beach stays dry.

Corwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 01:00:58 am »

If you can find the outermost 'ledge' of the reef (one tier down where the up ramp arrows are) and build a wall atop those, you'll stop the waves there at the wall.  If you built beyond the ramp, say you build a floor out there a ways then a wall, the wave passes under the wall, under the floor, and impacts the 'reef' or ridge underwater and begins to break there, spreading water wherever.