Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Accepted Lore for how Engravers work  (Read 1687 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Accepted Lore for how Engravers work
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:53:39 pm »

What is the community accepted lore for how engravers are able to smooth and engrave stone without any tools?

I was under the impression they just used their bare hands somehow, but I'm sure there's a more interesting/dwarfy explanation.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted Lore for how Engravers work
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 07:56:04 pm »

I was pretty sure they used their beards to do it, somehow.

But I don't remember where I read that... Oh. right. Here.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:10 pm »

To smooth stone, they use their rough and wiry beards. To engrave stone, they use their highly-acidic saliva.

...Actually, only the use of beards to smooth stone is widely-accepted. How they engrave is more questionable.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »

Tools other than picks and axes are abstracted out. They use normal tools to engrave, they just don't show in inventory list or stockpiles.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:39:35 pm »

Tools other than picks and axes are abstracted out. They use normal tools to engrave, they just don't show in inventory list or stockpiles.

And yet teeth do....

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:46:33 pm »

I'll go with the beard one.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:54:29 pm »

They take a rock and bang it against another rock. It's so simple that you don't even need an inventory item for it.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:48 pm »

Knowing Toady, he'll probably want to eventually add in more tools for those kinds of jobs. Without making it into a micromanagement nightmare that is.

I like to think that 'engraving' is known as 'polishing the stone' amongst dwarves. They just rub it. REALLY hard.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:30 pm »

I am of the opinion that dwarven beards are just another limb, except one that can't grasp. The dwarves are punching images into the rock with their beards.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 10:50:00 pm »

I think it's Dwarf magic. It also fits with my theory about Dwarf magic being in their constructive abilities. For example, one pillar of soap can support a steel fortress, water reactors defy the laws of energy exchange, bridges can destroy matter completely, levers can operate things remotely with just mechanisms, a workshop made from just a single glass block can create rock furniture, metal weapons, or silk clothing.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 11:51:34 pm »

I've always went with teeth.  8)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:54:18 pm »

I thought that they use the many thousands of crumbs in their beards as a sort of grit that would help them smooth the stone. Engraving... They have fingernails, right? But carving fortifications... That's a mystery.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:57:02 pm »

I am of the opinion that dwarven beards are just another limb, except one that can't grasp. The dwarves are punching images into the rock with their beards.

Yet they aren't body parts as far as the engine is concerned.  I'm of the opinion dwarves use tools.   Maybe I'm just unimaginative.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 11:58:52 pm »

I am now going to mod in beards as a fifth limb, and give them [GRASP].
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 12:13:56 am »

Breads are abrasive enough to polish the walls down to optical flatness.  Beyond that, dwarves punch out the stone that will form the designs of the engraving, with precision down the atomic scale for masterwork engravings (hey if they reference themselves this is the only way that recursion makes sense)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: [1] 2 3