Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constructions / digging not happening  (Read 348 times)

xadism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constructions / digging not happening
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:53:07 pm »

I'm having a weird situation:  near my entryway, I have a bunch of designated digs (remove ramps, remove up/down stairs, channels, etc) and a bunch of constructions (walls and floors) queued up to build, but the dwarves aren't doing them.

The constructions are not suspended, everything is accessible, materials are available and nearby.  And other constructions / digs in immediately adjacent squares have been built.   I have one wall that looks like this now:  WWWWOOWOOWOWW,  where W is a constructed wall and O is a wall segment waiting to be constructed.   They've sat that way at least two in-game months and nobody ever builds the missing sections.

I have plenty of masons and miners with the labor turned on.   But if I designate a construction anywhere else in the fortress, they'll run build that and ignore the entryway construction.  If I put a burrow around the entryway and assign the miners and masons to it, they just stand around with "No Job".

Really can't figure out why they won't build these ... terrified I may get a goblin siege while my wall is still under construction!  Any help appreciated.

The only thing I can see that's different about these is that they are outdoors.   I've tried suspending and reactivating them, and canceling and redesignating the digs.  Nothing seems to help, it's as if the dwarves are simply allergic to some of the squares. 

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructions / digging not happening
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:40:53 pm »

Blind shot: Are there any constructions, trees or other obstructions on the tiles you want to dig? Are you sure your dwarfs can reach them? Kinda hard to say anything without a screenshot, tbh.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:21:00 pm »

If I put a burrow around the entryway and assign the miners and masons to it, they just stand around with "No Job".

Does this burrow also contain the materials earmarked for the task?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:24:48 pm »

(Q)uery them and see of those construction jobs are suspended or not.  If they are, unsuspend them and see what happens.

In any large construction project, you're bound to have a few tiles where the allocation of labor/materials went haywire.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:38:57 pm »

Remove them and reassign them, I've had this problem sometimes when the material that they are using to build gets moved somehow.

Outside of that, are you sure they can get to both the materials and wall? Is the wall surrounded by floor, or is it in the air?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!