Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible Magma/Drawbridge bug in 31.18?  (Read 662 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Possible Magma/Drawbridge bug in 31.18?
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:15:29 pm »

Is there a bug in 31.18 involving Magma and raised drawbridges?

My outer drawbridge was made of Olivine (listed in the DF Wiki as Magma-safe) and used an Iron Mechanism for raising it. As soon as the Magma flowed over the spot that the raised bridge would have occupied (had it been open), the bridge automatically lowered... or perhaps de-constructed, I won't really be able to tell until the fires and smoke go out.

Is this a known bug? A Wiki error? A random glitch?

EDIT: hold on... one of my Dwarves is mental. Maybe he pulled the lever... it seems to be in the "open" position, rather than "closed" as it should be.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:42:57 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Magma/Drawbridge bug in 31.18?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:13:39 pm »

You sure the mechanism in your bridge (as opposed to the controlling lever) was the iron one?

If, somehow, the bridge was not entirely magma-safe, it can be damaged by magma in the area it would be while down, even while up.

Otherwise, I'd suspect your berserk dwarf. Oh, and only berserk dwarves pull levers at random; other types of insanity are no danger to anyone but the afflicted dwarf.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:55:07 pm »

Soo...is it working now?  When you re-set the lever did the bridge respond appropriately?  Out of curiosity, what project is this part of?  I'm currently employing a bridge which I pour magma over in order to heat the ice on my freeze-trap, then when the bridge retracts, the magma falls away from heating the water and it flash-freezes.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:03:33 pm »

...  Out of curiosity, what project is this part of?  I'm currently employing a bridge which I pour magma over in order to heat the ice on my freeze-trap, then when the bridge retracts, the magma falls away from heating the water and it flash-freezes.

Ha-ha... it's here, on the Paradox forum: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?390202-Dwarf-Fortress-Main-Thread

... towards the end of the thread. The Guided Tour of the project is on page 143 of the thread (post #2852), and the live-action test against invaders (which was frankly disappointing) was on the following page.

The project was a 137-level, dual-width pump-stack (dubbed "the Space Elevator") to lift Magma up from the base of the map to a point high above the surface of my fortress, after which it flowed through a feeder duct into an overhead reservoir tank, and was then distributed through other ducts to groups of floor-hatches, and dumped on the heads of invaders.

Ironically, my Mega-Project was built on too small a scale... it doesn't dump Magma fast enough to catch and kill the invaders before they can flee. I'm currently renovating and rebuilding it as the Doomsday Device Mark-2. The new version will dump Magma more than 30 times faster.
Never pet a burning dog.