Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good Visualizers for 31.18?  (Read 902 times)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
Good Visualizers for 31.18?
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:37 pm »

I love Stonesense, and wish it were compatible with 31.18, but I understand that free third-party software takes time, and hobbyist devs don't always have time.  But surely some developer has made a visualizer that works with 31.18?  I've built a fairly impressive fort and am dying to show it off to my wife in something other than 2-D MRI mode.  What do you use to visualize your 31.18 forts?
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Visualizers for 31.18?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:37:40 pm »

The only one I know about is Stonesense (Slate). It's "partially compatible" but works just fine in my .18 forts.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 02:50:16 pm »

Overseer is the current 3d flyover like Virtual Fortress was in 40d.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:28:32 pm »

I believe that you can still use minecraft as a fortress viewer, which is pretty cool.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:39 pm »

Stonesense works except for creatures I think, it may need an offset transplant.

Overseer works too.

I think of them for different purposes, but I use both.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 08:56:53 pm »

I use Stonesense for reliable embark screens and some architecture shots.

Overseer is very handy, but it doesn't display water, and it crashes on some of my more noisy embarks/projects (It rendered a 28x30 circular tile tower without a problem, but once I added hanging rooms off the sides, it won't load it up now, and crashes immediately after drawing the z-levels.)
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:53:50 pm »

Stonesense appears to have worked fine - I wasn't terribly interested in creature graphics for this one.  Thanks all!
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »

Do you have to have the 31.18 xml for stonsense? I haven't found it and I would love to use it even though its only partial)

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 08:55:14 pm »

I use Stonesense for reliable embark screens and some architecture shots.

Overseer is very handy, but it doesn't display water, and it crashes on some of my more noisy embarks/projects (It rendered a 28x30 circular tile tower without a problem, but once I added hanging rooms off the sides, it won't load it up now, and crashes immediately after drawing the z-levels.)

So you can actually use them to look at the place BEFORE you embark there? Would be cool, because its hard to imagine the Area beforehand just with the Height and Depth Info in embark screen.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.