Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I lost my first fortress yesterday.  (Read 1686 times)

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I lost my first fortress yesterday.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:37 am »

I...like that idea. Well, the serrated steel discs will be hard to realize, but uh, I guess maybe I can substitute spike traps.

With a metric fucktonne of wooden spikes in them.

Should do well enough, 'cuz goblins only wear breastplates and helmets anyway. Goblin arm shish kebob, anyone?

If you have a good woodcrafter(or is it a carpenter?) spikes can actually be decent enough. Even if they don't get hurt, enough trap dodging will make them pass out. Gobin Von Passedout is easy prey for Urist McJustrecruitedwrestler.

However, if you have that much wood I'd just suggest cage traps. That way you save the goblins for training later!

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:01 am »

The profession change depends on whether they're "on duty" or not, which in return depends on the schedule you set for them.
For instance, if you've set them to train every second month with 3 dorfs at least, then every second month three of them will change their profession to Recruit/Axedwarf/Markdswarf/Whatever and start sparring. Or waiting for dodging demonstrations with their thumbs up their asses.
After their scheduled month of training is over, they'll change back to their regular civilian jobs.

I always turn all jobs off for my soldiers, which usually causes them to spar in their free time, even if they're "off duty".

Yah, i have scheduled Training in EVERY month, but everytime the month ends they change their profession to non-militatary, and then a few seconds later back to Military, causing them to drop all the quipment walk a few tiles and then picking it up again. Its a bit annoying  because of the alert spam and the wasted Time. Its the same when i change the alert level or give direct orders. For example if i order Squad A to attack a Goblin, it takes a good while for them to actually get ready and close in on the target, with the whole dropping equipment and profession change stuff. I checked if i had different equipment oders for different alarms, but afaik you cant assign multiple Sets for different alarms.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 11:19:54 am »

I see.
I always give them every second month off, so that never occured to me.
On the other hand, I don't have issues with them taking ages to collect their gear. My military is always clad in steel. Or Bronze.. or something.
Did you try setting them on "Inactive = Uniformed" on the schedule screen? That always works for me.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:37:18 am »

In the current version's combat engine, the stonefall traps won't actually do much to armoured opponents. Most goblins will thus walk through your stonefall trap section with some bruises.

If you want to get rid of stone, I suggest quantum stockpiling them next to a workshop(s) and then processing them into whatever product you want. A million mechanisms or statues is more useful than a million stonefall traps.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

akinzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »

Thinking of starting a new fortress, because the the ambushes and sieges that happen on my current fort are really bugged. Every time the gobbos show up they immediately go crazy and kill half their numbers on the spot(sometimes they fight to the last man). Then, instead of proceeding to my fortress (to which there is a clear path inside, no locked doors or anything), they forever stand around the edge of the map holding their dicks in their hands, or something. Extremely frustrating, as it makes all my traps pointless, and I end up just sending my legendary military dwarves to kill the remaining (and extremely battered) goblins. This also makes hauling all the dropped loot far more time consuming than if they just walked into the corridor. Might I have better luck on a new embark, or is the more or less the norm in recent versions? I don't remember this happening before.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:00 pm »

Thinking of starting a new fortress, because the the ambushes and sieges that happen on my current fort are really bugged. Every time the gobbos show up they immediately go crazy and kill half their numbers on the spot(sometimes they fight to the last man). Then, instead of proceeding to my fortress (to which there is a clear path inside, no locked doors or anything), they forever stand around the edge of the map holding their dicks in their hands, or something. Extremely frustrating, as it makes all my traps pointless, and I end up just sending my legendary military dwarves to kill the remaining (and extremely battered) goblins. This also makes hauling all the dropped loot far more time consuming than if they just walked into the corridor. Might I have better luck on a new embark, or is the more or less the norm in recent versions? I don't remember this happening before.

Exactly the same with my current siege. I have 18 Goblins standing on the edge of the map. They only move if attack them or a Dwarf comes near them. Im even able to build Balistas in Range without them doin anything. Im currently trying genesis mod, hoping that the attackers there actually attack me if they show up^^
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:37 pm »

with a couple of catapults permanently shooting across the bridge to get rid of the excess stone.  :P

may i suggest along malroth's idea that this happens along a one tile wide bridge/floor to your fort above a moat of magma? good way for an extream dwarven version of wipeout!

Richard Hammond narrating your Dwarf Fortress session ... it does have quite an interesting ring to it.
Pages: 1 [2]