Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Space-Dodger, A gamemaker game *I need YOUR Feedback!*  (Read 1177 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Space-Dodger, A gamemaker game *I need YOUR Feedback!*
« on: January 20, 2011, 03:27:54 am »

Just before you say anything, I made this within the first few hours of installing gamemaker lite, (Which was about at 12pm the 16th)
And i really like this concept. Due to my terrible pixel art skillz, it looks terrible and there are boxes for some stuff.
So basically, you drive your ship around avoiding the evil boxes (Soon to be something else.) I recomend you read the "Info/Controls" at the main menu. Keep in mind I just started using Game Maker lite.

Downloads:

0.6b:  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18863281/Space%20Dodger%20V0.6%20public%20version.rar

0.1:   http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18863281/Space%20Dodger%20V0.1.rar

Screenshots:

Ingame:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Main Menu:

Thanks,
Chiefwaffles
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:23:00 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Space-Dodger, A gamemaker game *FEEDBACK NEEDED*
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:58 am »

Looks neat-o. I'm going to try it out.
Also, spoiler those images.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:41:17 am »

As i said before, I'm a complete newbie to this. My plan is to add better controls before the next release. Once you play it, some suggestions/bug reports would be really nice.

Thanks,
Chiefwaffles
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 03:48:30 am »

I noticed a couple of things.
First, if you don't quit after losing, you keep your points if you start new game.
Also, you need to set the sprite's origin to the center so it won't look weird when you turn.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 03:53:44 am »

Sorry, I just made 4 sprites, flipped each one of them to the right direction, and made the main sprite change into them when they key going in their direction was pressed. Also, The score bug is fixed in the new version. I might release the new version soon, though.

Thanks,
Chiefwaffles

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 03:56:06 am »

In the sprite window, above the Okay button, is what I mean by origin. :D

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 04:03:34 am »

Looked everywhere in every single sprite window and could not find something even similiar to a "Origin" button. Oh well. Back to thinking about the controls, I guess.

EDIT: Just fixed the controls. It was pretty easy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:07:00 am by Chiefwaffles »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 04:12:09 am »

Right there. ;)

Also, I died when an enemy spawned in one of the edge boxes.
EDIT: Oh wait, it doesn't kill you. I guess I just touched an enemy just as it spawned. :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:14:15 am by Jack_Bread »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 04:14:40 am »

Oops, It seems my game turned back to simple mode, even though I set it to advanced. Also, you mean your ship just exploded when a enemy spawned in the wall?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 04:16:16 am »

Yeah, but it happened again without me exploding.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 04:20:15 am »

Its probally a glitch with the current move commands of the enemies. I would really appreciate if you told me whenever it spawned in a cornerbox which isn't the top left one.

Thanks,
Chiefwaffles

ALso, more replies from different people, please?

Freak

• Bay Watcher
  • World's Deadliest Idiot
    • View Profile
Re: Space-Dodger, A gamemaker game *I need YOUR Feedback!*
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:46:05 am »

How serious are you about making games?

What I mean is how far are you going to go with this?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »

No.
just, no.
If you get better give me a shout, I am after all a artisticly gifted member of this community who enjoys developing games.
I also write fiction storys.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 05:35:00 pm »

No.
just, no.
If you get better give me a shout, I am after all a artisticly gifted member of this community who enjoys developing games.
I also write fiction storys.
Wait what? are you saying that his game sucks and the art is bad (or am i missing something)? and what is that about fiction?

Also, you should probably put this in the creative project section of the forum
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 06:07:14 pm »

A mod move to the creative section would be nice. ALso, I would love it if you gave me details of what could be better. (Better in the boundaries of that game, and in my skill level.) I'm going to start finishing up the update after this post. (Creating public version.. etc.)
I'm also running out of ideas.

Thanks,
Chiefwaffles
Pages: [1] 2