Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Umm... what just happened.  (Read 1745 times)

Tsaroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Umm... what just happened.
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »

Alright, I'm a bit confused here.

I just enlisted my expedition leader to be my first militiaman seeing as my woodcutter went into a strange mood and needed bones.

I had him go kill a wild horse, and he seemed to succeed in this.

Then next thing I know, the poor Urist bleeds to death.

I read the logs and find out some strange 'Recruit' decided to join the fight and ends up lodging his pick into his chest, twisting it and breaking some ribs!

I only had one person in my military, the expedition leader... and now all of a sudden there is this guy.

After the event, I realize it was one of my miners...

So, two questions;

1. Can dwarves enlist themselves in my army?

2. Will dwarves go absolutely berserk on eachother if they, as happened here, kill a stray horse?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Umm... what just happened.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:08:51 pm »

No, I believe your miner tantrummed. I'm not sure why he was listed as a recurit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tsaroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »

Wait, now in Dwarf Therapist that miner doesn't have a nickname anymore... and no announcements came up about him tantrumming.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:17:35 pm »

He'd probably gone rogue. And a bug helped him along the way.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:08 pm »

Wait, now in Dwarf Therapist that miner doesn't have a nickname anymore... and no announcements came up about him tantrumming.

upon getting a kill and being named, dwarves nicknamed within dwarf therapist may lose their nicknames.  This is a bug with dwarf therapist.

Your expedition leader should be on that dwarf's kill list.  Only reason I could think for your miner to attack your expedition leader would be if you ordered a kill on a horse that was part of the dwarven caravan.  If there was a tantrum there should be an announcement about it.  Those things aside I'm completely baffled.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »

Is the dwarf named "herobrine" by any chance?

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:39 pm »

first of all, you could have just set the horse to be slaughtered.  What may have happened is since you ordered a dwarf to kill a creature of your civilization he was considered to have "gone rogue" and the miner therefore attacked him.  Has a death spiral started?
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:45:29 am »

2. Will dwarves go absolutely berserk on eachother if they, as happened here, kill a stray horse?

Wild horse != stray horse

Wild horses are wild. Stray horses are considered part of your dwarven civ. It appears that you just triggered a loyalty cascade. The dwarf who attacked the horse is now a traitor. The miner who attacked the traitor is also now himself a traitor. Anyone else from your dwarven civilization who attacks either of them will become traitors.

If you want the other dwarves to live, isolate them from the affected, and let the affected dwarves starve to death or such.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 02:41:52 am »

Wild horse != stray horse

Wild horses are wild. Stray horses are considered part of your dwarven civ. It appears that you just triggered a loyalty cascade. The dwarf who attacked the horse is now a traitor. The miner who attacked the traitor is also now himself a traitor. Anyone else from your dwarven civilization who attacks either of them will become traitors.

If you want the other dwarves to live, isolate them from the affected, and let the affected dwarves starve to death or such.

Oh my god, it's too fun!

Tsaroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 11:14:35 am »

first of all, you could have just set the horse to be slaughtered.  What may have happened is since you ordered a dwarf to kill a creature of your civilization he was considered to have "gone rogue" and the miner therefore attacked him.  Has a death spiral started?

I'm witnessing it right now.

A woodcutter went insane and... so many dead... 4 alive and holding on desperately to remain sane.

Also to the one who talked about stray horses, thats what did me in then.

Although, continuing whats going on... the expedition leader (traitor) died to that miner/recruit... who then did nothing but run around in circles interrupting and getting interrupted by everything that was no where near him (across that damn dirty brook).

After some time, as said, my woodcutter went berserk since I didn't get any bones and proved to be much stronger than any miner my civilization had to offer.

After much killing, and much more deaths from bleeding, I'm down to a hauler, farmer, mason, and miner.

Man, this game is so much FUN.

EDIT: I must have posted this on some other forum, but during this fortress a few minutes after embark, a piece of cavern collapsed... just an outcropping from a 1Z high mountain across that brook where my miners weren't digging and fell... killing a miner a good distance from the incident.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:18:24 am by Tsaroth »

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:41:17 pm »

Heh. Herobrine.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 11:30:44 pm »

Heh. Herobrine.

Can those of us who don't play Minecraft get a TLDR of this?

Also, I've never actually experienced a loyalty cascade, and was attempting to recreate this. However it seems I can't order my military to kill my own dwarves or animals. Help on this one?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 11:32:22 pm »

Have them kill a dwarven merchant.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 01:19:35 am »

I had a loyalty cascade take an 84 Dwarf fort down to three, you'll need to enable all labors on all of your survivors (except for fishing, hunting and woodcutting, you will not need them),and start making slabs ASAP. Put your dead dwarves to rest with the slabs before the ghosts rise and kill your last 4. You have a fun 3-4 years to try to clean up the fort and survive the kobolds and goblins before you'll get more immigrants, but it CAN be done.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 07:57:31 am »

Heh. Herobrine.

Can those of us who don't play Minecraft get a TLDR of this?

Also, I've never actually experienced a loyalty cascade, and was attempting to recreate this. However it seems I can't order my military to kill my own dwarves or animals. Help on this one?

As far as I know the story, some player cooked up this spooky story about a mystery player that he'd spot from the corner of his eye sometimes. Except, he was playing singleplayer. The 'ghost' would appear through the fog in the distance, but as soon as he tried getting a closer look, it would vanish. He made screenshots and stuff to illustrate what he said was happening.

"Herobrine" was apparently the nickname of someone who had died; I think I recall it being Notch's friend or brother or something? Anyway, it's untrue of course. But as the rumours spread, people started to believe the ghost was that of Herobrine.

These kinda stories seem to be getting more prevelant lately. Ever heard of the Pokemon one about Lavender Town and the hacked cartridge? Creepy stuff, even if none of it is true.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.