Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hovering furniture, bridges, traps and a not-so-rude awakening  (Read 5516 times)

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hovering furniture, bridges, traps and a not-so-rude awakening
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 12:26:59 pm »

More results:

I was able to float a chain (restraint), however the puppy attached to it didn't want to walk around.

You can't float supports. They check for edge support and cause cave-ins. This makes sense, as you can't float walls either.
Or ever again, for that matter.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 12:57:56 pm »

More results:

I was able to float a chain (restraint), however the puppy attached to it didn't want to walk around.

You can't float supports. They check for edge support and cause cave-ins. This makes sense, as you can't float walls either.
Perpetual pressure plate triggers?

When a goblin kills the puppy on the trap, it'd activate whatever trap was kept in check by the pressure plate.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 10:26:04 pm »

More results:

I tried removing the wall under the restraint and puppy, and it fell 1z onto the floor below without injury. It was then able to walk around on that floor, provided that it stayed within the 3x3 area under the restraint floating above it's head (it was still listed as being chained and assigned). It only never moved anywhere when it was on the same z-level as the restraint.

It's easier to make a perpetual pressure plate trigger with a "tightly closed" door that goblins can open (but the puppy can't!), and a fortification or window to allow the goblins to see/shoot the puppy.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 11:47:48 pm »

It was a joke, guys. I was inferring that you hung the puppy.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 11:09:55 am »

I must do my own science now. what happens if you restrain an animal multiple z levels up and remove the wall? how far will the puppy fall without damage when connected to a chain? will edit this post with results.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 11:53:54 am »

I must do my own science now. what happens if you restrain an animal multiple z levels up and remove the wall? how far will the puppy fall without damage when connected to a chain? will edit this post with results.
From my tests, it appears that the animal will become free from the chain the moment it moves more than 1 tile away from the chain in any direction.

Chains in DF work by mind control.  They don't physically restrict the attached animal at all.  All a chain does is prevent the attached animal from voluntarily moving more than one tile away, they don't do anything to prevent any other force from moving the animal away.  Furthermore, it appears that if you force an animal to move away from a chain by pushing it with water or removing the ground under it, it becomes impossible to assign anything else to the chain without first deconstructing and then rebuilding the chain.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 12:10:23 pm »

From my tests, it appears that the animal will become free from the chain the moment it moves more than 1 tile away from the chain in any direction.

Chains in DF work by mind control.  They don't physically restrict the attached animal at all.  All a chain does is prevent the attached animal from voluntarily moving more than one tile away, they don't do anything to prevent any other force from moving the animal away.  Furthermore, it appears that if you force an animal to move away from a chain by pushing it with water or removing the ground under it, it becomes impossible to assign anything else to the chain without first deconstructing and then rebuilding the chain.
strange. from my tests they become a squishy mess at the bottom of the drop (fall damage, as expected, is still calculated), but are still registered as attached to the chain.This attachment does not seem to be limited by drop height, although I can't say for certain if they will break free if they try to move away from the restraint.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 12:24:06 pm »

strange. from my tests they become a squishy mess at the bottom of the drop (fall damage, as expected, is still calculated), but are still registered as attached to the chain.This attachment does not seem to be limited by drop height, although I can't say for certain if they will break free if they try to move away from the restraint.
Are they attached to it, or just assigned?  When you move the cursor over the chain, does it say 'Assigned: Puppy' and 'Chained: Puppy', or just 'Assigned: Puppy'?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2011, 12:31:04 pm »

Are they attached to it, or just assigned?  When you move the cursor over the chain, does it say 'Assigned: Puppy' and 'Chained: Puppy', or just 'Assigned: Puppy'?
if they're still alive, chained. death does 'free' them, but if they survive the fall they are still chained. nor do they seem inclined to move away from the restraint, though I can't be sure if they cant or simply haven't yet.
Pages: 1 2 [3]