Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hovering furniture, bridges, traps and a not-so-rude awakening  (Read 5512 times)

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
Re: Hovering furniture, bridges, traps and a not-so-rude awakening
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 03:31:34 pm »

Time to drop some dwarfs from 30 z-levels up?

Blood for the Blood God, anyone?
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 04:47:45 pm »

This is totally ingenious! Floating war dog dispenser is the best idea I've head in awhile, as are hanging cages for prisoners.

Well, except instead of war dogs I would probably use rutherers or draltha. Somehow I always wind up with a lot of those.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 05:15:44 pm »

So, I don't see grates on this list... going to have to go try it.  If grates can float & support wagons, magma trapps just got cooler (float bridges of grates).

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »

Unfortunately grates won't float, and fortifications or bridges won't hold them up either.

Another finding: paved roads can float and are walkable.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 06:58:03 pm »

Somebody needs to put these findings up on the wiki >>
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:41 pm »

More results:

I was able to float a chain (restraint), however the puppy attached to it didn't want to walk around.

You can't float supports. They check for edge support and cause cave-ins. This makes sense, as you can't float walls either.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 11:08:03 pm »

I imagine anything that can cause a cave-in by being removed will refuse to float, as they constantly check for support. However, I'm definitely going to be using this. I imagine wave-triggering spike traps should be absolutely gorgeous.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 01:43:44 am »

Remember when you could dig downward staircases in the floor that a workshop occupied? I think if workshops manage to float like these other things do, we could get those glorious days back with constructed ramps. (too lazy to check this myself)
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 07:21:58 am »

Floodgates float, by the way. You can have that massive, multiple z-level gate you've always wanted, and other dastardly plans that have stewed in the back of my twisted mind for millenia untold.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:57:25 pm »

You could theoretically create a floating fortresses out of drawbridges, since they can be used as both walls and floors.

I think I know what my first megaproject will be.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:55:18 am by NSQuote »

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 01:39:08 am »

How did you get a constructed ramp to float?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 02:50:07 am »

You could theoretically create a floating fortresses out of drawbridges, since they can be used as both walls and floors.
Yes, good idea.

Constructed ramps float as well
A section of the cavern has collapsed! It's a construction, and checks for support.

ramps ... work when next to adjacent walls (according to the wiki). Drawbridges create walls, so...
Only real walls can be used by ramps. Creatures won't willingly walk onto floodgates, trees, or "bridge walls", but if they fall on them by accident, they can step off onto an adjacent floor.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 10:51:57 am »

Yes, good idea.

Constructed ramps float as well
A section of the cavern has collapsed! It's a construction, and checks for support.

ramps ... work when next to adjacent walls (according to the wiki). Drawbridges create walls, so...
Only real walls can be used by ramps. Creatures won't willingly walk onto floodgates, trees, or "bridge walls", but if they fall on them by accident, they can step off onto an adjacent floor.

Yeah, I tried my test again, and I probably had a support I didn't notice still up somewhere. It didn't work with fortifications either (killed  a dwarf from a one z level drop, brutally wounded the others that were deconstructing.

You can't support buildings with bridges either (where did I get that idea?), so I guess Dwarves can't really live (productively) on the floating plane of bridges and roads.

How did you get a constructed ramp to float?
By the power of sleep deprivation and supports I didn't notice magic, of course.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:02:05 am by NSQuote »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 11:04:45 am »

This thread deserves a !!SCIENCE!! award, and a D for dwarfiness.
I'm heading off, going to make it rain goblins now.

EDIT: also, "it's raining cats and dogs" gets a whole new literal meaning
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 11:43:24 am »

Prehaps one of those rising water chambers would work, as floodgates and bridges could seal up a chamber that slowly fills with water waterfalled from an unconnected source above the floating fortress, allowing the Dwarves inside to slowly ascend z-levels, with retracting bridges that close underneath the Dwarves, ensuing they continue rising up.

In order to get the Dwarves to leave the chamber (if they don't climb out onto bridges) you could have a floodgate seals the entrance to a "decompression room". When the floodgate is open, the water would flow out into the room, sweeping the dwarf from the "ascension chamber" into the room. After the Dwarf is in the room, the floodgates would seal once again, and a retracting bridge off to the side would open and allow the water to drain back down to the ground, where the external pump system could pump it back up to the top.

Everyone would naturally be adequate+ swimmers.

And as far as food goes, you could drawbridge-launch small animals into a drawbridge wall. Cage traps float, and animals are a renewable resource, so if you embarked with a sizeable number of animals or cage some livestock from the surface, you'd have near infinite food.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:06:28 pm by NSQuote »
Pages: 1 [2] 3