Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hovering furniture, bridges, traps and a not-so-rude awakening  (Read 5518 times)

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hovering furniture, bridges, traps and a not-so-rude awakening
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:51 pm »

As some of you know, some types of furniture and traps that require a floor do not check for support after built. Constructing a wall, building the furniture on top of it, and removing the wall will leave it hovering.

Curious about what would happen to a sleeping dwarf when his bed suddenly had no floor under it, I tried this. The results: the dwarf falls out of bed, wakes up, and does not get a negative thought from it! The wall can then be rebuilt, allowing the bed to be used again. This has potential for cutting down on the downtime of an important dwarf, but it has limited utility because it takes a while to deconstruct the wall.

The same floor-removal trick also applies to drawbridges, which require a floor on one edge in order to be built. A hovering drawbridge can serve as support for retracting bridges. Anyone up for ominously floating magma cauldrons above your entrance?

Liquids will trigger a pressure plate without a floor under it (haven't tested falling/flying creatures). May be useful for fluid/mechanical logic, where the pressure plate is built at the output of a screw pump, and the water will fall below and clear the tile immediately when the pump stops. Another option is to drop a block of water many z-levels, triggering a pressure plate at each step, perhaps linked to spikes that activate in a wave pattern for an adventurer to try to outrun!

Any other ideas to take advantage of this "feature" while it exists?

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: Hovering furniture, bridges, traps and a not-so-rude awakening
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »

Easily reusable noble elimination device, anyone?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:57:34 pm »

This could be useful in hospitals, when you need to slightly re-injure dwarves so the doctors re-diagnoses them. Just drop 'em a couple of Z-levels!
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:31 pm »

Ain't hard to find a use for such great inventions of dwarven physicists.
Nice job finding it, QuantumMenace.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »

especially useful in hospitals.  It means I don't have to deactivate and designate a new hospital zone when I want a dwarf to take a short fall.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

the bridge thing is interesting.  Also you could build an epic multi-z level window with it, although you could do that anyway by putting in floors.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:54:59 pm »

Unfortunately, creatures don't seem to be able to see upward/downward through windows even without floors, which ruined my attempt to make a pitted animal spot downward while protected from arrows. Creatures don't even appear to see through floor grates either, for whatever reason.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:49:20 pm »

If this works for upright spikes, then deep pit traps just got even better. Imagine a goblin falling ten z-levels and encountering 100 spikes along the way.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:54 am »

I tried it with weapon traps, but all I got was the combat report from the falling impact.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:31:47 am »

I tried it with weapon traps, but all I got was the combat report from the falling impact.

Falling creatures or creatures in "projectile mode" are protected from being attacked, targeted, seen, or even magma as long as they are in flight. There was a bug that could result in creatures permanently in this mode (it had something to do with saving the game?) and they would be in stasis. *searches* Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45586.0

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:38:37 am »

And now, I know what to do with my next hospitals. Best euthanasia method ever! Cheap, easily replaceable, quick to implement, and does not leave big smears of blood/mud/water/magma to be cleaned off (I love magma as much as the next dorf, but that thing is slightly inconvenient when there are burnable things in the room). Sure, it's not as fast as a pull of the lever... unless you make the "floor" chess-patterned and hold walls with supports.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 03:01:05 am »

As some of you know, some types of furniture and traps that require a floor do not check for support after built. Constructing a wall, building the furniture on top of it, and removing the wall will leave it hovering.

Any other ideas to take advantage of this "feature" while it exists?

I had a wall built over a pit. A cat cage was then placed on top of the wall and hooked up to a lever. The wall was removed. The cat cage stayed floating. I then had a dwarf pull the lever. The cage and mechanism appeared beside where the cage was placed, on solid ground, so they could be retrieved. The cat appeared over the pit. Gravity ensued.

Many of you know how, in order to pit goblins or other dangerous creatures, a dwarf has to remove them from the cage first? You can build the cage next to a hole to minimize the travel distance and the risk of escape, but there is still risk (especially if you are trying to pit goblin snatchers). If you build the cage somewhere and pull a lever to release the contents, you can't put a death trap on the same tile as the cage, so the creature has to walk onto a weapon trap or something to be executed.

The hovering cage feature allows you to pit* any creature that you can cage, 100% risk free*, and even retrieve the cage and mechanism immediately!

*We assume you won't try to pit a flying creature

You could also build floating, troll-safe, war dog dispensers outside.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 03:25:55 am »

Furthermore, I was able to build floating floodgates that open/close with a lever. This may advance dwarven computing or traps, as a floating floodgate would permit fluid flow on all 6 faces/sides.

EDIT: However, when I build floating doors over a 1x1 pit, dwarves and pets "know" that they can't walk through it and path around. I was hoping that they wouldn't notice the open space until they open the door and fall in...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:43:17 am by Urist Da Vinci »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 06:11:42 am »

What about...floating HATCHES!!!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 11:38:22 am »

What about...floating HATCHES!!!

I'm not near my game at the moment, but hatches can already be built over open space, so I suspect they actually bother to check for edge support. Maybe the same for grates.

I just realized that floating floodgates/"bridge walls" could be used in making a better "cave-in cannon" (devices that mix water and magma to form obsidian in midair). Some cave-in cannon designs suffer because the obsidian attaches to the weapon and plugs up the muzzle. Floating bridges or floodgates could support fluids without being able to support obsidian walls, so they couldn't jam.
Pages: [1] 2 3