Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma u-bend question  (Read 926 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Magma u-bend question
« on: January 19, 2011, 08:06:34 pm »

I know that pressurized magma will travel up a u-bend. How far up will it go?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma u-bend question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:07:57 pm »

I know that pressurized magma will travel up a u-bend.

pressurized magma will travel up a u-bend.

pressurized magma
(Doesn't exist)

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

Screw pumps impart pressure.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:11 pm »

It will travel up to the same level as the screw pump that is imparting the pseudopressure that pumped magma possesses. Note that anything that cancels pressure, such as another screw pump or a diagonal baffle, will totally nullify this pseudopressure (though another screw pump would add it back in again).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:15:49 pm »

Yeah, if no screw pump is pumping magma into the bend, it will stop at the lowest point. If there is a pump or there are many, it will go up to the pump's own level.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:32:43 pm »

It's sorta kinda pressurized.  Due to the way a pump works, it will "teleport" any magma as it is pumping up to a reachable level of the level of the pump minus one.  As long as the pump is running, the magma will behave as if pressurized, because the pump is teleporting magma to that space.  As soon as that pump turns off, though, magma behaves as normal - It won't flow up at all, and just spread out over all the available space around.

At least, that's how I've heard it explained to me.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:38:38 pm »

It's sorta kinda pressurized.  Due to the way a pump works, it will "teleport" any magma as it is pumping up to a reachable level of the level of the pump minus one.  As long as the pump is running, the magma will behave as if pressurized, because the pump is teleporting magma to that space.  As soon as that pump turns off, though, magma behaves as normal - It won't flow up at all, and just spread out over all the available space around.

At least, that's how I've heard it explained to me.

Tou remembered one detail wrong - pumps will "pressurize" fluids up to the same level as the output tile.

For a full explanation, read this post and be enlightened.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.