Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military traitors  (Read 392 times)

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military traitors
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »

So some merchants came, and I didn't have the bridges down long enough for them to leave, but I didn't notice. Next, they went mad, and I ordered some of my troops to kill one of their horses, well they went near it, and started attacking each other! It was a mess! They were fighting on the stairs, at first I thought one fell, but then I noticed in the reports that FOR NO REASON, they started fighting each other. Some died, and so I canceled the order to kill the horse (still not dead) and they stop, re-engage the order and they start fighting again. The same thing happened with my other squads, I dont know why. They were all happy, at LEAST quite content, and nobody was tantruming (nobody had in this fort). Then the tantrum spiral started and I decided to take everybody to the circus, but when I got there, the clowns all left, which I do not understand... they love making fun!

EDIT: Jeez, I was so busy recalling exactly what happened I forgot to ask: why?  This ended my fort (also a siege did, in which all 3 groups arrived, at the same time, which I also do not understand), and I don't want to to happen again. Also, why did the clowns leave?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:45:03 pm by Daveorock »
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Military traitors
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »

Congrats, you encountered your first loyalty cascade.
That happens when you make your dwarvs attack a target that belongs to your civilization, like a merchant, or it's animal.

The dwarf who attacks will be flagged hostile to your other dwarves.
The next dwarf who attacks him will also be flagged hostile, because, even though he's flagged hostile, he's also part of your civilization.
This goes on until you either manage to get rid of your dwarves that are flagged hostile, or all your dwarves except the last one are dead.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479