Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Protection of an Aluminum Breastplate  (Read 4533 times)

Balor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Protection of an Aluminum Breastplate
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 12:09:04 pm »

Well, it is native aluminum, it is indeed very flimsy. Aluminum alloys that are heat-treated are good, but this is rather high-tech affair.
Oh well, maybe someday in the future... along with radiation and some ways to utilize that uranium ore :D.
Sapienti Sat.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 06:47:48 am »

Also, related question, how useful is a wooden breastplate? I seem to have some after killing two Elven caravans. :o
As you can see, those didn't protect them well, so to trash compactor they go.

Merchants only wore rope reed fiber.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 06:59:45 am »

As I mod almost all metals to be weapon/armor craftable, this is relevant to my interests.

Almost all. Until Toady One enables radiation NOBODY needs a lead breastplate.
Really? Pitchblende human forts?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 08:02:30 am »

Aluminum?  Dunno.

ALUMINIUM?  WEAK.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 08:05:40 am »

Come on guys, it's an artifact so it might be better than bronze or iron, if said bronze or iron armors were like 2 or 3 quality levels lower.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 09:40:38 am »

I'd like to enshrine it if I could. Aluminium is a very valuable metal, is it not?

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 10:22:56 am »

As I mod almost all metals to be weapon/armor craftable, this is relevant to my interests.

I have a tendency to do this too...  but only because finding a set of masterwork golden armor makes for an interesting, if not particularly useful, find to an adventurer.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 10:32:35 am »

For what it's worth, the lightness of aluminum armor probably means nothing. Weight of equipment doesn't actually seem to slow dwarves down at all.

Not true -- the weight of armor slows Dwarves down, and this weight penalty is in turn reduced by armor-user skill.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 10:33:49 am »

I have a tendency to do this too...  but only because finding a set of masterwork golden armor makes for an interesting, if not particularly useful, find to an adventurer.

Platinum war hammers....
This might become my first little modding project.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 12:17:45 pm »

Platinum war hammers....
This might become my first little modding project.

It is very interesting, and funny to pick up strange metal weapons and armor from goblins. Plus it means I can put honor guards and my internal police in shiny brass or electrum armor. SHINY! Yes, you can make platinum warhammers, and they are pretty effective.

As for the modding project, its pretty easy! Go into your RAW directory and open inorganic_metal.txt and you'll see the entries for each metal. They'll look like this:

Code: [Select]
[INORGANIC:GOLD]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:SOLID:gold]
[STATE_NAME:SOLID_POWDER:gold dust]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:gold]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:molten gold]

To make the metal weapon/armor/whatever capable, all you need to do is add any of the following to the metal's entry;
[ITEMS_WEAPON]
[ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED]
[ITEMS_AMMO]
[ITEMS_DIGGER]
[ITEMS_ARMOR]
[ITEMS_ANVIL]

I think those properties are pretty self explanatory! For example, to make platinum warhammers just find the PLATINUM entry and insert [ITEMS_WEAPON] in there. I'm not sure of you need to regenerate the world - I think not though.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 12:39:31 pm »

What's that you say? Gold bolts? Why, don't mind if I do! :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 12:46:02 pm »

Really? Pitchblende human forts?
Holy fuck, Pitchblende is a major ore for Uranium. :| Not sure if I want to live in a fort made of that. :D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 12:58:56 pm »

Not true -- the weight of armor slows Dwarves down, and this weight penalty is in turn reduced by armor-user skill.

This is how things should work, yes, but I don't think it's the way they currently do.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 04:02:29 pm »

For what it's worth, the lightness of aluminum armor probably means nothing. Weight of equipment doesn't actually seem to slow dwarves down at all.

Then this changed recently. Last time I tried in arena mode, it didn't actually matter.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 04:11:35 pm »

I'd like to enshrine it if I could. Aluminium is a very valuable metal, is it not?

Just as valuable as Platinum, that is, second only to bluemetal.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: 1 [2] 3