Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFS virgin's first try [Massive spoilers]  (Read 913 times)

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
HFS virgin's first try [Massive spoilers]
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:49:21 pm »

I've never breached the HFS before. Just never really felt like ending my fortresses in their prime.

Crystalaxe, my current fort, has been going for two years. For some reason (I don't remember if I tinkered with worldgen or not) the map was only 38 Z-levels deep. So I decided, what the hell. I'm going to go for it.

I missed the first cavern entirely, dug into and around the second, reached the third, and set up a danger room. I forged 9 swords, 6 crossbows, and threw the latest migrant wave into the danger room.

Because of logistical errors and an elven ambush, it was another half year before I breached, although I trained up 10 legendary axedwarves in the meantime. When I did finally breach, I was greeted with the usual plethora of messages. I check out the demons, and they looked easy enough. Most of them were made out of salt, snow, or fire.

The odd thing is, they spawned in a large square mass... underneath a different adamantine tube. I sent a miner to dig that one out, while my military waited. And waited. In a cramped little cavern, maybe 3x5, above the top of the tube. While the demons just flapped around and did nothing.

Eventually, a single demon flew up. One of the fire ones. My military was waiting, and it got out one gout of flame before a dozen swords and axes smashed it into nonexistance.

The one gout of flame, however, killed my fortress.

Within 30 seconds, 15 dwarves had bled out. In that tiny, cramped space, most of the military had been melted. The survivors were missing fat, and most of them almost bled out too. Cue tantrum spiral with legandary soldiers...

So far, deaths have been low, but with so many tantruming, I expect they'll pick up a lot. I'm also paying for not sealing off the caverns, as I am continually being harassed by local wildlife. I've lost a half dozen dwarves to them. Several of my military attacked other military. Fortunately, the one that went berserk took a bolt to the stomach and went down easily. In the meantime, the humans are wondering what in Armok's name is going on, I'm desparately hoarding adamantine, and the fortress in general is in shambles. Crops rotting on the fields. Tantrums everywhere. Buildings being destroyed. I threw in fresh recruits with the old and put everyone in the Danger room (killing a baby and a dog in the process) in one last hope of striking back against hell itself. Unfortunately, my (legendary) miner sug through the wall of an adamantine tube and just stood there for the inevitable magma bath.

I'm hoping there will be a few survivors. I'm also surprised I don't have any ghosts yet- nobody's been buried since HFS was opened. I'm considering an abandon/reclaim, but I don't know... I want to see who makes it through.

Did I mention that my civ's symbol is "Two dark pink haunts"?

Thank you, Dwarf Fortress, for reminding me what both fun and !!Fun!! are, and for mixing the two so delightfully. Whoops, got to get back- last weaponsmith just went berserk.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: HFS virgin's first try [Massive spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:56:08 pm »

They aren't that bad once you get to know them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 06:21:04 pm »

I've seen demons spawn under the wrong tube as well.  Despite their continuous attempts to path, they don't seem to be very quick about rushing your fortress all at once.  I did have a laugh as several slaughtered wildlife in the third cavern layer.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:53:08 pm »

the first 3 times i breached it they sat there in the circus under a different pillar that i didnt break through. then on the 4th time i had a good fort going. i breached the clowns actually came out and violated my entire fortress. any ideas why they didnt come out the first 3 times?
LOSING IS FUN!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:21:03 pm »

Quote from: the wiki
Demonic invasion doesn't necessarily happen when there are several adamantine pillars present on the map. The demons spawn under only one of those pillars. If the breached pillar is not the pillar where the demons spawn, the demons will be content to float around in hell, as opposed to causing lots of Fun.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 07:29:37 pm »

My first breaching of HFS was rather good for the dwarf side. There were... quite a lot of dwarves, I forgot how much, but somewhere around 70, including children and babies, none armed or armoured save for miners and woodcutters. They smashed roughly half the legions of hell into nonexistence before being overwhelmed by the constant pushing of the second half. And until the last minute, the casualties were pretty even and good, and the dwarves even had an edge.
Then deadly dust demons surrounded them and bam.

Must have been some bad luck with that fire demon, Biopass.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 07:31:25 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:28:48 pm »

Within 30 seconds, 15 dwarves had bled out. In that tiny, cramped space, most of the military had been melted. The survivors were missing fat, and most of them almost bled out too. Cue tantrum spiral with legandary soldiers...

How of those dwarves had shields?