Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Steel vs candy battleaxe?  (Read 4272 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steel vs candy battleaxe?
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:58 am »

Strange. I thought any soldier who's significantly slowed down by a heavy shield would have more serious problems than a mere lack of speed.
I can see you've never actually worn plate armor. ANY weight you can shed is a goddamn blessing.

I'm maxed out on armor in adventure mode, and while I would indeed be faster without it, that's a drawback I'm willing to accept. If my experience there is any indication, quibbling over the weight of one item is ridiculous.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:24 am »

Strange. I thought any soldier who's significantly slowed down by a heavy shield would have more serious problems than a mere lack of speed.
I can see you've never actually worn plate armor. ANY weight you can shed is a goddamn blessing.

Even modern combat gear: rifle, some clips, ammo, combat vest(mask, shovel, rain suit, flask), and a helmet start to feel heavy once you've marched a few dozen km. Or "assaulted", sprinted, and hit the deck, just a few hundred meters.

Considering the shield is tied to hand, at least I'd like it as light as possible, to be able to swing it around and move better, I wouldnt give a thought on how well I can bash with it. This is DF, though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 06:45:56 am »

I'm maxed out on armor in adventure mode, and while I would indeed be faster without it, that's a drawback I'm willing to accept. If my experience there is any indication, quibbling over the weight of one item is ridiculous.
I was speaking more to real life. The game is a bit more abstract, and simply imposes a small speed penalty so I guess it doesn't matter.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 06:53:50 am »

I was speaking more to real life.

And here I thought we were talking about a game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 07:08:10 am »

Are you being sarcastic? or just dense?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 07:14:40 am »

Are you being sarcastic? or just dense?

Bringing real-life considerations into a discussion on what to equip your dwarves with is bullshit. Am I clear this time?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 07:56:10 am »

the very small difference (3-4 units of speed) would be the difference of life and death should one allow you to outrun the opponent. As most creatures possess similar speed, the effect small speed difference kick in much more often then it sound.

On a side note, mail shirts are actually heavier then breastplates
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 08:04:20 am »

the very small difference (3-4 units of speed) would be the difference of life and death should one allow you to outrun the opponent. As most creatures possess similar speed, the effect small speed difference kick in much more often then it sound.

I've never noticed that in adventure mode, but I guess I'll take your word for it that this makes sense in fortress mode.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55:06 am »

I've never noticed that in adventure mode, but I guess I'll take your word for it that this makes sense in fortress mode.
Oddily enough, I was talking about adventure mode. In fortress mode, it's much more reliable to use crossbow or dog to "chase" things. Dwarves are a bit slow. The thing with the aventure mode is that once you are at a certain distance from hostiles you can go back to travel mode, effectively despawning whatever chasing you. On the other hand if you are even slightly slower, they can eventually catch up, keep you pinned then eventually gang on you. This isnt much of an issue once you have alot of armor and high skill, but the way there is pretty long.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:50 am »

So far I've never tried running from anything other than bogeymen, and those can't be outrun anyway, so I hadn't noticed.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00:46 am »

So far I've never tried running from anything other than bogeymen, and those can't be outrun anyway, so I hadn't noticed.
Stab them, keep you distance and let them bleed to death. Works like a charm.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 09:05:12 am »

Bringing real-life considerations into a discussion on what to equip your dwarves with is bullshit. Am I clear this time?
::) You clearly missed my point. It's okay though.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 09:17:53 am »

Stab them, keep you distance and let them bleed to death. Works like a charm.
Ya, do an easy strike, from which they will dodge and hopefully space themselves from you. Run away till they catch up, rinse and repeat.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 09:31:22 am »

With mutliple enemies (most of the times bogeymen) I always backpaddle even when standing right next to them. They will follow and stumble over each other until only one is adjacend. They are so easy to kill then.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36:43 am »

I too try to keep them at a distance, but I don't usually retreat far enough to disengage. In fact, it was my understanding that running away from bogeymen was impossible, i.e. that the "cackling" only "went away" after you killed all of them; but I may be mistaken about that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4