Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An idea for !!evil!!  (Read 1214 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
An idea for !!evil!!
« on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:17 pm »

Would it be possible to catch an elf in a cage and sell it to elves?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: An idea for !!evil!!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »

I think the elf will be released when the cage is brought to the depot.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 12:09:05 pm »

If you're catching elves in cages you're probably at war with them, which means no elven caravans.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:21:56 pm »

If you're catching elves in cages you're probably at war with them, which means no elven caravans.

If you're catching elves in cages, it means you're too wussy to catch rabbits.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:08:06 pm »

Is it still the case that elven merchants go away if you offer them any wood / animal material / metal?
If so, this would prevent selling them anything in cages, since those are either made of wood or metal.
If not, you can indeed sell caged elves to the elves.

Caged dead elves that is. Corpses are not released when brought to the depot.
A cruel creative mind should be able to come up with setups that have a reasonable success rate of producing elven corpses in cages.

Even if the elves won't buy cages, you can still offer caged elf corpses to the dwarves, as a tribute
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:15:27 pm »

Is it still the case that elven merchants go away if you offer them any wood / animal material / metal?
If so, this would prevent selling them anything in cages, since those are either made of wood or metal.
If not, you can indeed sell caged elves to the elves.

Caged dead elves that is. Corpses are not released when brought to the depot.
A cruel creative mind should be able to come up with setups that have a reasonable success rate of producing elven corpses in cages.

Even if the elves won't buy cages, you can still offer caged elf corpses to the dwarves, as a tribute

As far as I know it's only wood they don't accept. I've traded cages to the elves before.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 02:06:45 pm »

Unless it's made from steel or pig iron they'll take Metal cages I think. Not sure because I don't waste steel on cages.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »

I use green glass, so I don't have to worry about elves getting pissy.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:33:47 pm »

you misspelled Dwarflyness
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »

*Blows his bubble pipe contemplatively* It must be done... In the name of !!SCIENCE!!
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »

I saw someone who claimed that they managed to trade a caged animal away by making sure the cage was on top of the depot before the "bring item to depot" job was created. In other words, the cage was at distance: 0 from the depot. They did this, IIRC, by building the cage adjacent to the depot then deconstructing it, though you could also probably manage it by dumping it in from above.

Also, as far as getting elves to trade away, couldn't you make war on them, capture some, then make peace? I mean, you'd have to "host" the captive elves for a while, but as long as you're putting them where they can watch your woodcutters work, that shouldn't be too bad, right?
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

Or your carpenters, wood burners, lye/potash/soap/glassmakers, or furnace operators.

(those last two only apply if you make a lot of clear glass or don't use magma. Furnace operators still apply if you make a lot of steel, but no clear glass).

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:52 pm »

Unless it's made from steel or pig iron they'll take Metal cages I think. Not sure because I don't waste steel on cages.

does this mean the game tracks the makeup of every steel bar?  for example, if you make the steel using coke and not charcoal, the elves shouldn't mind.

Regardless, moving creatures to depot is bugged at the moment.  If that bug were not in place you should be able to sell elves to elves.  Also, one fortress of mine had constant goblin ambushes, and each ambush squad was led by an elf.  I had lots of elves in cages, both alive and dead.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 07:21:59 pm »

I saw someone who claimed that they managed to trade a caged animal away by making sure the cage was on top of the depot before the "bring item to depot" job was created. In other words, the cage was at distance: 0 from the depot. They did this, IIRC, by building the cage adjacent to the depot then deconstructing it, though you could also probably manage it by dumping it in from above.

Also, as far as getting elves to trade away, couldn't you make war on them, capture some, then make peace? I mean, you'd have to "host" the captive elves for a while, but as long as you're putting them where they can watch your woodcutters work, that shouldn't be too bad, right?

I was attempting such a thing, but the dwarves still had to come to the cage and "bring it to the depot". I never had a live subject to test it on, though.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 07:28:59 pm »

I think it might work if you select the cage to be moved under the "Cages" menu of the move item to depot screen, as opposed to "All."

Someone go find out. I don't take prisoners. At least not for non-arena-death.