Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Missing baby: kidnapped?  (Read 2057 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Missing baby: kidnapped?
« on: January 19, 2011, 06:27:16 am »

One of my hammerdwarves is married. Her first kid died in the danger room, so when she gave birth again I relegated her squad to another place to train -- I try not to get anyone (even bloody useless babies) killed on purpose. Now that second child is gone, and bugger if I can figure out why. I discovered this when I checked on the hammerdwarf to see if it was safe to send her squad back into the danger room. She didn't have the baby with her. In fact, it's not even on my unit list anymore. It IS still listen under her "relationships", and all it says there in the top paragraph is:

"<Name> has been ecstatic lately. He is happy to be free."

I didn't see any baby snatcher messages. In fact, with his mom being a soldier I'm sure any snatcher would have been instantly pasted. And the kid's details still say he is a member of my civ and fort. So what gives?  Is this my first ever kidnapping case or not? I can't imagine what else it could be, but I can't imagine how a thief could have made off with him and still leave him as a member of my civ to boot.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missing baby: kidnapped?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 06:58:53 am »

Try zooming in on the child via the relations of the mother. If it's been stolen the pointer will go to the location where the mother lost her child.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 08:04:54 am »

I've had this happen once or twice.
In my case, a goblin thief had snatched the child, but not left the map yet.
I couldn't zoom to the child in any way, it wasn't on the unit list either.
About 3-4 minutes later I got the message "McSneakyBastard has made off with dwarven child"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:49:36 am »

Hmm. Zooming in on him via his mom's relations shows me a spot by my main entrance drawbridge. I wonder if he was accidentally smashed there, but again, I don't remember any messages of the kid dying, being crushed or being abducted. Still, it's probably the best bet to assume to his mom lost him while mashing goblins and he got under the bridge, and I just overlooked it in the post-siege-cleanup madness. :/ Thanks.

I looked up the "happy to be free" thought but the wiki only shows that for the old DF version as a criminal whose sentence ended, which just adds extra weirdness to this since I haven't had a single "criminal" in this fort so far, nor a sheriff to jail anyone.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:51:22 am »

Did the snatcher run into a cage trap?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:01 am »

It was a snatcher. The baby was kidnapped at that spot on the drawbridge that the game zoomed to. He is "free" because he was stuffed unceremoniously in a bag, and now that he's off the map, the game didn't register him as being in the bag anymore.

He is the happiest dwarf you will find, with the exception of one who has just made an artifact.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 10:42:13 am »

It was a snatcher. The baby was kidnapped at that spot on the drawbridge that the game zoomed to. He is "free" because he was stuffed unceremoniously in a bag, and now that he's off the map, the game didn't register him as being in the bag anymore.

He is the happiest dwarf you will find, with the exception of one who has just made an artifact.
Odd, because the baby I lost was happy to be free despite being in Goblin-possession, still on my map. Maybe his mother clutched him too tight or something. :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 11:52:04 am »

Odd, because the baby I lost was happy to be free despite being in Goblin-possession, still on my map. Maybe his mother clutched him too tight or something. :o

IIRC Toady programmed the kids to receive that thought if they were snatched, because the corresponding thought about imprisonment could cause the abducted child to rage out.

It has been known for several game versions that snatched children/babies get the "free" thought. See: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9307.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »

IIRC Toady programmed the kids to receive that thought if they were snatched, because the corresponding thought about imprisonment could cause the abducted child to rage out.
Now wait a moment. Wouldn't it be pretty awesome for a kidnapped baby to go berserk, burst out of the bag, and snap the arm of his would-be snatcher, then stab him in the face with his own dagger?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 01:32:39 pm »

Dont you get an announcement when that happens that pauses the game after the child is taken off map?
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 02:21:54 pm »

It doesn't pause the game by default. It could also be easily missed if you were doing anything that involves message spam at the time, especially destroying a bunch of masterwork items, as those messages share their color with kidnapping announcements.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

Hmm, thanks. This is indeed my first case of kidnapping, then. I feel a bit bad for the parents now, though any bad thoughts of their own related to losing their kid aren't showing anymore and both are as happy as clams. And it irks me that I completely overlooked this happening.

Gotta play something evil now for the snatchers I did catch in cage traps.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 03:18:39 pm »

Be careful with them; attempting to pit them often results in their escaping and beating up the poor bastard that let them loose.

Personally, I would suggest lever-opening the cage in a large pit with either
  • a nasty beastie you've captured loose in the pit with it
  • marksdwarves on the walls awaiting target practice
  • spike traps in the floor on repeat
  • all of the above
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 07:51:08 am »

Yep, I know about the slipperiness of thieves. Normally I just have a squad on standby to take them out, but in this case I want something more painful than a quick axe to the head. I'm thinking either 1/7 magma or low-quality spike traps.

First I need to deal with the leftovers of the next siege, though. ::)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:10:55 am »

I prefer adamantine war hammers. Gives my hammerdwarves a lot of training, and takes forever.

Pages: [1] 2