Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I leave the pictures inside the SPOILER -tags or not?

Yes, use the tags
- 8 (80%)
No, don't use the tags
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Tales of Craftwaters - Now in diary format!  (Read 8374 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Craftwaters
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2011, 01:49:26 am »

OOC: Long post coming up, and there are more to come. There was just too much to put in one post, as the picture management would get hairy without splitting the report...  :o ;D

15th of Malachite was bid day in Craftwaters. First of all, Knifeled was elected to the position of mayor. As her first task in the position she promoted Craftedecho to captain of guard, which was more or less the same job as being sheriff, but with better title and greated responsibility.

The second big thing what happened that day was the beginning of the great move. This meant that all the industries and stockpiles were moved downstairs, to New Fortress as it was called among the population of Craftwaters.

After nearly one month of work, the great move had advanced to the second phase; the rebuilding of everything. All the supplies had already been moved downstairs, and all the workshops and rooms had been removed from the old fortress, so it was finally time to rebuild everything on the new location. But there was no fear among the citizens of Craftwaters, as worst part was already been done when the moving of supplies had been completed.

It took several more days to rebuild everything, but finally the task was done. The citizens of Craftwater were relieved, though not for long...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The goblins were there again, this time more than one and they were accompanied by kobold!

One was even able to sneak past the soldiers stationed outside!

How was that possible? Goldrouted did not understand any of it, as he thought their linge had been solid enough to prevent sneaking inside.

The fisherdwarf Genhawks was filled in terror. Where ever he tried to run there were more and more goblins and kobolds. In panic he tried to flee, but the only possible direction was away from the entrance, not towards it.

Finally he was able to get inside, and with him came the news of human caravan closing in. They had slayed at least one goblin on their way, so Goldrouted decided to keep the bridge down for few more moments to allow them to get inside, to safety.

Unfortunately, there was goblin ambush waiting for the caravan just outside the walls. Goldrouted saw no other option but to close the entrance, as he didn't want to risk that any of those green little creatures would attack them. He also couldn't be sure if there were more squads of goblins waiting outside, so for the safety of the fortress he ordered the bridge to be risen.

Right after the entrance was closed the soldiers spotted one goblin inside the walls. Well, at least this fellow could not flee from the wrath of military, and so the soldiers stationed outside charged.

The goblin, as it saw no other option, tried to flee inside. On it's way it was able to damage two soldiers, hopefully not seriously enough. When it reached the interior of the fortress it was caught by one of the cage traps.

Outside the walls the battle raged. Even though the goblins had more soldiers, the humans had better equipment and were more skilled. One of the two guards the caravan had was able to drive the whole ambush squad away, only taking few hits.

At the same moment another goblin was spotted inside the walls.

The fight was fierce but eventually the goblin was forced to retreat inside the fortress, again triggering the traps and being caught. And again two of the soldiers stationed outside got wounded, this time more seriously.

With so many wounded Goldrouted decided to call everybody back inside for medical diagnosis. If there were any more goblins outside the traps would take care of those.

While retreating inside, one of the soldiers passed out on top of the trap. Unfortunately the mechanisms of the trap was designed in a way that anything that passed out on top of it would trigger the trap, and so Armorpaint was trapped inside one of the cage. The irony! To be trapped by own trap!

Because the fortress had no source of water inside, and as the wounds would require cleaning to avoid infection, Knifeled decided to lower the bridge again. Perhaps the brave humans would also come inside then as well.

OOC: Apparently the wounds of Armorpaint from the first goblin attack were healed almost immediately, so that's why those are not shown on second wound -listing.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2011, 02:36:19 am »

The first dwarf to be diagnosed was Bombur. His wounds were serious, but doctors suspected that he would live.

Next patient to go the diagnosis was Phantomclasped. Her wounds were more serious, the infection is her nose was especially something to worry about.

There was not much the doctors could about for her, so she was checked and cleaned. Unfortunately she was still unconscious, so the doctors decided to keep her inside the hospital for now. Apparently, the only thing worth of concern was the infection in nose, which was caused by the fact that she had not received cleaning early enough.

At the same time the third wounded soldier, Armorpaint, was finally released from the cage and she went to hospital to receive her diagnosis. Her wounds were serious, though luckily no sign of infection yet. It seemed at then that all three soldiers would survive, though the fate of Phantomclasped was still uncertain.

The whole episode had taught one thing to Knifeled; they really needed a source of water inside the walls so that in any circumstances they had access to it. The miners were assigned to work on with channel, which would run under the walled area, and thus make it possible to build a well.

Unfortunately, the doctors reported that Armorpaint had been infected, perhaps due the time she spent inside the cage. As it was known, the cages weren't so clean and hygiene after all.

With the well ready it was time to seal the fortress again, and call all the soldiers back inside the barracks to train more. It was obvious that they were not even close to ready to deal with even single goblin, and definitely not ready for ambush squad nor even full siege.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2011, 03:43:48 am »

As the peace had returned to Craftwaters it was time to decide how to expand the fortress. Already several new industries had been set up, including leather, jewel and cooking. Also the quarters for council had been mined out, and few rooms had already been assigned, though only to Knifeled and Ironflags. The council gathered to make the decisions.

After two days of discussing, or rather arguing, it was decided that several new sections of the fortress must be made. These new sections were jail, public graveyard, tombs for the council members and archery range. For the last it was also decided that the equipment for archers must be made, after which the squad would be formed.

Jail was the first one which was completed. Ten cells, each one had chain made from steel and granite door, was made to hold any criminals the Craftwaters may have.

Next came the public graveyard. It was nothing exceptional, only a big room surrounded by magma and in there would all the coffins be placed when required.

While the miners were working with tombs for council the news of another group of migrants coming reached the fortress. Knifeled ordered the bridge to be lowered to let them inside, while the soldiers under the command of Goldrouted were stationed outside to keep an eye for intruders.

There were ten migrants, most of them either peasant or children. Among them were one mason, who was assigned to work under Firecrafted. When everybody reached then ramps the entrance was sealed again.

Autumn also meant the coming of dwarven caravan. As soon as the caravan, and apparently liaison as well, was spotted the order to lower the bridge was given. Again the soldiers were stationed outside to guard the entrance. When everybody had got inside the bridge was risen again, and the soldiers ordered to return to barracks.

The caravan was the biggest ever seen inside the Craftwaters, with four traders companied by animals. Knifeled bought steel, wood, cloth and alcohol, though she was not able to get as much from the caravan as she wanted due the lack of trading goods she had.

After the caravan it was time to meet with the liaison. She was surprised how the things had changed since her last visit, with new fortress and the harassment from goblins. She said that the queen would like the report she was going to give. After normal trading negotiations the liaison stayed for a while longer, to inspect the new fortress she had been introduced.

Winter came and finally the tombs were ready. All council members got one, with granite door and steel sarcophagus.

The project of archery range was postponed for now, as the council agreed that all the personal rooms and tombs should be smoothed and engraved before anything else.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2011, 03:58:27 am »

Okay, updated the map in the archives, the link is again in the OP.

Taricus, you can now claim one of the set of three rooms for your character. The two set with furniture has already been reserved tough, to Knifeled and Ironflags. Also, all the tombs are currently unoccupied, so you can choose freely.

If you have anything you want to be placed inside your private rooms/tomb, just post it. I see what I can do to it.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2011, 04:10:45 am »

Topmost quarters please
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2011, 04:28:14 am »

Bookbulwark entered Knifled's diningroom.

"Knifeled, I has something to show you."
"What is it? Don't you see I'm eating?"
"I created something I want to show you."
"Fine, I think I'm finished already anyway. Lead the way."

They walked inside one of the carpentries.

"Now, what do you wanted to show me?"
"This." She showed wooden weapon rack.
"I created it myself."

Knifeled studied the rack for a moment.

"You said you made it all by yourself, right?"
"Yes! I finished it just before I came to see you."
"This is fine rack. Now, why did you make it?"
"Well, I got vision of it few days ago. It felt like something was guiding me. I noticed that this carpentry has not seen much use lately, so I took the opportunity."
"Interesting. Now, go and find Swalloweddiamond. I want you two in my offices immediately."

Bookbulward saluted, and left the carpentry. Knifeled studied the rack for a moment longer, then departed.

One hour later both carpenters were standing in Knifeled's office.

"Bookbulwark, the weapon rack you made is of high quality. Have you shown it to Ironflags yet?"
"Thank you. Yes, he inspected it and estimated that it's value is something like ninety-five thousand bucks."
"So valuable? Perfect! Now, as you were able to create such a masterpiece by yourself, I hereby announce you as the member of the High Council."
"Thank you, I didn't honestly expect this."

Knifeled turned her focus on Swalloweddiamnod.

"Now, as there can be no more than ten members of the council, I hereby strip you from the rank of the council member."
"WHAT?!"
"You heard me, Bookbulwark has just taken your position."
"You can't be serious! I have been member of the council since the beginning! I was here when the fortress was founded! You can't do this!"
"Silence! I can do that and I just did! Now, leave this room immediately!"
"But why? Have I not done good work?"
"Have you ever created anything worth of mentioning? No, I don't think so. Unlike Bookbulwark, you have created nothing. NOTHING! No, go or I call the guards to arrest you!"

Swalloweddiamond left the room, muttering something about not forgetting this. Knifeled focused to Bookbulwark again.

"Congratulations and welcome to the council. From now on your responsibilities are to overseer the carpenters and woodcutters, among them you ex-superior Swalloweddiamond. Don't let her boss you around, you are now her superior. Now, among the duties I just mentioned I expect to see you in council meetings. Now, dismissed!"

Bookbulwark saluted and left the office.

@Taricus
Done, you got those rooms. Now, what about the tomb? Those are bellow the private quarters, few floors down.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2011, 04:32:06 am »

The tomb nearest to the magma.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2011, 05:16:27 am »

"Alarm! Alarm!"

Knifeled ran from her office to see what was the noise about. She found Goldrouted ranning towards her, waving hands in terror.

"Slow down! What's happening here?"
"The goblins! The goblins are sieging us!"
"What?!"
"There are group of goblins just east from our fortress, and it's not ambush squad as they didn't even try to hide themselves. They have finally decide to siege us!"

Knifeled took a firm grip from his shoulders, forcing him to stop.

"Is the bridge up?"
"Yes!"
"Well then, we have nothing to fear in that case. They can not reach our fortress."
"But one of them is flying with giant cave swallow!"
"Ah, so perhaps one can get past our walls. Send the troops out, they can surely defeat single goblin. But under no circumstances are you allowed to lower the bridge, am I understood?"

Goldrouted nodded, clearly recovering from the terror.

"Now go! Assemble your squad and defend the ramps! Is that one wounded soldiers capable of fighting already?"
"You mean Phantomclasped? No, and I think she never stands again."
"So, you have eight soldiers at your disposal then, nine if we count you as well. That should be enough. Now go, defend the walls and observe goblins' movement!"

Goldrouted saluted and left, shouting the orders to take arms.
Knifeled returned to her office, where she opened her sacred bottle of brandy, in which some drops of elven blood had been used as ingredient. She had saved that bottle for a special occasion, but if the soldiers failed and for some strange reason the goblins were able to get inside, they were doomed.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2011, 06:32:26 am »

After three days Knifeled summoned Goldrouted in her office.

"Any news about the goblins?"
"No, it appears they have realized that there is no way to enter this fortress."
"But they are still outside?"
"Yes, they are still there waiting for us to lower the bridge."
"Alright, that means we are in safe. Keep half your squad stationed at the entrance in case the one riding the cave swallow decides to fly over the walls."

The peace had returned Craftwaters. Everybody were still slightly scared by the fact that goblins were outside, but the fact that they could not enter the fortress was a relief.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2011, 07:02:38 am »

One day during the spring Knifeled went outside to check the situation at the entrance. Goldrouted was standing near the bridge, looking something through small peeking hole.

"Anything to report commander?"
"Well, yes, I was just going to send runner to get you up here. We spotted something north from our location. I think it's ettin."

Knifeled looked peeked through the hole, confirming the presence of ettin.

"Goldrouted, can it enter our fortress?"
"Not sure, I have never seen on alive. Perhaps, though I suspect not."
"Keep your soldiers alert and observe it's movements. Report to me immediately if something happens."
"If it's able to get past the walls, should we engage it?"
"If it comes to that, you should have already your whole squad up here. So yes, engage it if necessary. Otherwise, do nothing. It may as well be that it doesn't care about us."

Goldrouted saluted and continued observing the ettin through the peeking hole.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2011, 08:02:34 am »

After few days Goldrouted sent a messenger to summon Knifeled outside. He was waiting for her when she arrived.

"You have something to report?"
"Yes I have. It seems that the ettin and goblins spotted each other, and they are engaging in any moment now."

Knifeled and Goldrouted climbed top of the southern wall for better line of sight of the event.

One of the goblins had ran ahead of others, and was almost at the fighting distance.

When the ettin and the goblin were next to each other, the goblin slashed, causing a small cut. Ettin counterstiked, but goblin was able to avoid it. The second attack from ettin connected, throwing the goblin to the river. Due the weight of armor it was not able get back to dry land, and was drowned.

By then the rest of the goblins were already reached the ettin, and the real battle begun. Overpowered, the ettin took several grave wounds while managing to land only one solid hit. As the battle was turning against it the ettin begun fleeing. The goblins chased it for a moment, but when it was clear that they could not catch it they turned and began ranning away. At then Knifeled and Goldrouted realized that the drowned goblin was perhaps the leader of the siege, and without leader the others would flee away.

When the goblins began to retreat, the ettin turned around and began chasing them down. few of the goblins noticed this and faced the ettin again, trying to kill it. With just moment later the whole squad of goblins had halted the retreat and were again fighting against the big humanoid. Overpowered again the ettin decided to retreat, this time to east.

The chase continued for most of the day around the fortress entrance, when suddenly ettin turned and attacked the goblin right behind it. At then the dwarves observing the scene noticed that most of the wounds the ettin had got were already healed. With two powerful punches the ettin smashed the head of the goblin, and was now facing rest of the squad.

With several blows the ettin wounded another goblin, then began fleeing again, avoiding the strikes from goblins and landing counterstrikes when possible. The wounded goblin was left where it was, unable to move.

Even though the ettin was quick to heal, the strikes from goblins were too much for it, and quite soon it was surrounded. Visibly tired, almost dead, the ettin tried to attack the goblins again.

The battle raged several days, and it was clear that the maces of goblins were not enough to kill the ettin. At that moment Knifeled made the hard decision.

"Lower the bridge! Goldrouted shall lead his soldiers to finish up with this!"

Goldrouted stared Knifeled in disbelief.

"Why? We won't survive out there!"
"Perhaps not, perhaps you will. The goblins are already occupied by the ettin, so we can flank them and perhaps end this siege once and for all!"

Goldrouted saluted, and gave the order. His face was still show the uncertain in his mind.

The bridge was lowered, and the soldiers gather outside, south from the fortress. Immediately then the ettin died, and the goblins were regrouping.

"Retreat! Retreat!" Goldrouted shouted. He was filled in terror by now.

The soldiers gathered inside the walls, but one of the farmers had slipped outside, heading towards the corpse of ettin. Unfortunately the goblins noticed the lonely dwarf, and begun chasing him. The raising of the bridge was not the option if the farmer was going to be saved, so Goldrouted ordered the soldiers to fall back inside, near the stairs.

Unfortunately the farmer did not notice that the bridge was still down, so he ran right past of it. The goblin caught him. After several hits the farmer was dead.

As the goblin retreat away from the entrance, several dwarves risked their lives and looted the corpse. After several days the goblins began leaving, apparently they weren't interested sieging Craftwaters anymore. And so ended the first siege of Craftwaters, with one dead dwarf, two dead goblins and one badly mauled and eventually dead ettin.

OOC: Now that was fun! At least now I know not to send any macedwarves against ettin  :P

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2011, 08:10:46 am »

Looks like we're going to need more soldiers.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2011, 08:20:17 am »

Perhaps, and adamantine equipment as well.
Also, the construction of dangerroom has already begun, I just have to think a way to make it fit in the story.

Oh, and magma. Perhaps stack of pumps to move it from the sea to the surface!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2011, 01:41:06 pm »

Chapter 7 - Goblins Have Found Us!

The dwarves of Craftwaters were still recovering from the shock of last goblin siege when the alarm was sounded again. Another goblin invasion force had arrived, heading towards the entrance.

At the same time elven caravan arrived, and they were too heading towards Craftwaters.

The goblins were divided to three separate squads, each coming from different direction. It was clear that the goblins were determined to breach the fortress, though without sieging equipment the possibility of success was nonexistent. One very good indication of their confidence was the fact that one squad was led by the Matchmalign, goblin slasher master. Another indication was that they had brought group of trolls with them, and the presence of trolls never meant anything good to the sieged side.

As the entrance to the fortress was sealed again, the goblins turned their attention towards elves. Without hesitation all three squads begun charging, surrounding the caravan from all sides. Didn't goblins and elves form an alliance? Why would the goblins charge towards their companions? Nothing made sense except the fact that elves were now under attack.

One of the trolls was the first to catch the elves, slaughtering two of four traders with bare hands. The remaining two tried to escape by fleeing different directions, one heading southeast and other northwest.

The elf running southeast was already doomed as she was heading straight to trolls waiting for her. She tried of evade them, with no luck, and after several quick blows she was down, skull broken.

The other elf had more luck at the beginning, as he was able to evade the squad of goblins trying to block his path. They begun chasing him, which took most of the day. At times one goblin or troll was able to get near enough to land blow, but the wounds weren't anything serious. But elf's luck didn't hold forever, and eventually he got surrounded by small group of goblins who had separated themselves from the main force. The battle was over as soon as it had begun as the elf didn't have even smallest change against armed goblins, especially since he was unarmed itself.

After the battle the goblins gathered again, trying to figure out how to enter the fortress.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2011, 03:23:55 pm »

Being under constant siege was not the only problem in Craftwaters; the current food industry was not able to produce enough food to support the population of the fortress. And the food was finally running out.

The dwarves knew there was one source of food very close, but unfortunately they were not able to reach it as the source was the destroyed caravan just outside the walls. And the goblins were still sieging the fortress. So the council gathered to solve the problem which would soon turn bad if nothing was done. And it didn't take long from the council to reach the consensus; the old farming area upstairs would be put in use again, and several peasants loitering the dining hall were recruited as new farmers.

Of course this was only short term solution, and the miners were ordered to figure out how to enlarge the farming area near the new fortress to support bigger farms without the risks farming in cavern was holding.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10