Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I leave the pictures inside the SPOILER -tags or not?

Yes, use the tags
- 8 (80%)
No, don't use the tags
- 2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Tales of Craftwaters - Now in diary format!  (Read 8378 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Craftwaters
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2011, 07:04:33 am »

Sure, now that the we have all the industries moved down. Takes a bit moment, going to get more coffee and then do the uploading.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2011, 07:05:26 am »

Thank you.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 07:28:51 am »

Okay, the map has been uploaded and the link is in OP.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 07:40:35 am »

Strange noise was coming outside the fortress, and Goldrouted went to investigate. What he saw both shocked and surprised him, as there was human caravan outside, apparently waiting to gain access to the fortress. But that was not all he saw, as small squad of goblins had ambushed the caravan, charging towards them in front of his eyes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The battle raged most of the day but eventually the human soldiers were able to drive the goblins away, but without losses; one trader had died in the ambush. One the other hand the humans had evened the score, slaying one goblin. But, as Knifeled refused to lower the bridge the caravan decided to leave immediately, leaving the fallen behind.

Goldrouted tried to convince Knifeled to lower the bridge so that they could bring all the goods left behind inside the fortress, but she denied to give such order. The military was not ready yet for full battle in the open area against goblins, especially since there was risk that the goblins had ranged weapons. So, with sadness on his face Goldrouted left the scene behind him, still thinking about all the stuff left outside.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:47:26 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 08:10:25 am »

Finally, after a very long time, everything had been moved to the new fortress. All the facilities, industries and storages had found their proper place.

Now, as the moving had been done, it was time to think about expanding the fortress. Council gathered again, this time discussing what should be the next project. It didn't take long from them to decide that it was time to give all council members proper accommodation, and so the instruction was given. The layout consisted of bedroom, dining room and office for each member of council, the plans of tombs were postponed for now so that they could decide where to place them.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2011, 08:13:07 am »

I'll take the second rightmost quarters.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 08:16:20 am »

Alright!

I reserved the first one from the right to Knifeled.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 08:32:54 am »

Goldrouted rushed to the Knifeled's office.
"Madam! We have another group of migrants coming! What shall we do?"

Knifeled raised her eyes from the book she had been reading.
"Again?!"
She shook her head.
"How many are they sending here this time?"

Goldrouted shrugged.
"We saw eleven dwarves."

Knifeled continued reading again.
"Station your troops outside the entrance, though no venturing over the bridge. Let them come. Lets hope that there is no goblin ambush waiting outside."

Goldrouted saluted and left the office.

After the bridge was lowered the news spread around the fortress, and suddenly everybody was running outside. Knifeled went to investigate what was happening and saw that everybody were running towards the goods the human caravan had left behind earlier

"Fall back! FALL BACK!"
Nobody reacted to her orders.
Knifeled turned her angry eyes to Goldrouted.
"For your own safety I hope everybody comes alive. If not, it's your head I will drop in the magma!"
After saying that she turned and left inside, leaving startled Goldrouted standing outside, managing his soldiers.

After three days the caravan had been looted. Knifeled had managed to pass out the order to not touch the corpses, and thus not to loot the equipment those had. Right after the last dwarf stepped over the bridge the passage was closed. Knifeled ordered the council to gather immediately.

"Who the hell gave the permission to go outside?" she shouted.
Nobody answered.
"Well, someone did, as I didn't give such order. Now, whose responsibility is this?"
Again, no answer.
In frustration she raised her hands and turned her eyes to Goldrouted and Craftedecho
"I give up. Now, if anything like this happens again, it's your balls I will roast and feed to goblins! Now, DISMISSED!"

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 10:26:54 am »

CRAP!!

It seems that I lost all the progress the fortress had since the spring of 159, which means nearly one year worth of events.
My laptop went total lockup when, forcing me to remove the battery to get it working again. Spent nearly full hour to get it work before that, so the lockup was complete and had no other choice than to do that.

Now, the question goes, should I continue from that point or just try to figure out proper ending for this story? Any suggestions? I have few ideas ready for the ending, and I think it should become quite dworfy.

Now, I'm not too interested in backtracking the whole year, but if it's the wish of majority of the readers, then I do that. Otherwise, I may continue one of my old fortresses I have found from one of my external HDs.

Teaches me well to use the autosave every season, not just yearly...  ::) :-[

EDIT: Meh, I think I continue the other fortress anyway, and if the majority wants me to continue this one as well, I just run both of them in tandem...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 10:29:08 am by Kipi »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 10:31:14 am »

Continue, Please.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 10:43:56 am »

That was fast reply...  :P

Okay, I'll continue. I'll edit the first post which was affected by this accident, and there story continues again from the 1st of Granite, year 159.

Basically I lost everything I had done last eight hours, so I have lots of things to catch up.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:22 am »

Another goblin thief tried to enter the fortress, but this time the soldiers stationed outside noticed it early enough. Surprisingly, the only one who decided to give a chase was Bombur.

Being faster than Bombur the goblin was able to escape, which only made the soldier angry. In frustration he begun chasing small group of rhesus macaques, which happened to be near him when he lost the sight of the goblin.

Eventually, after long chase, he was able to corner few of the macaques east from the entrance. Without hesitation he attacked.

Unfortunately the chase had taken too long, and thus Bombur had already became too tired and thirsty, so after he had slaughtered the first macaque he decided to return the fortress. Nevertheless, he had finally spilled his first blood, and that was enough to him for now.

While Bombur was chasing down the macaques, one of the soldiers, Icesilvers, gave birth to a boy.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 11:14:52 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 11:39:07 am »

It seemed like Bombur had accidentally angered the whole group of rhesus macaques when he had killed one, as through the spring those little creatures tried to enter the fortress. The soldiers stationed outside had to work hard to keep those out, and many macaques died while trying to get inside.

The month of Slate was coming to end when the joyful news spread through the fortress; new baby had been born! This newborn was the second baby actually born inside Craftwaters, and the prayers were that there would be many more to come.

Only two days later the population of Craftwaters grew even more as new group of migrants arrived. Twenty dwarves were willing to call Craftwaters as their new home, and Knifeled happily let them inside, as the great move was coming closer every passing day, and all the workers they were able to get were needed.
The group of migrants was formed by mostly crafters, though there was one miner and few dwarves with expertise in different fields of food production. Everybody except the miner were ordered to wait for the order to begin the move, which would take place as soon as the industrial floor was finished.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »

While mining out the industrial floor the miners accidentally breached the cavern. Nobody had realized how close they had been before it was too late, and eventually there was small hole on the floor, big enough to even dwarf to get through.

Breaching the cavern was not the worst part of the situation, but what happened next. One giant mole saw the opportunity to get inside, and it used that opportunity. The miners were terrified, as there was no way to tell how dangerous such creature could be nor if it carried any dangerous diseases. So, the soldiers stationed outside were alerted, and they left their position to kill the mole. At the same time the order was given to seal the breach immediately after the potent threat coming from the mole was dealt.

The mole was quite evasive, which the soldiers learned soon enough. Most of the day went while they tried to catch up with it, running up and down the stairs leading down to the forges. Eventually the mole ran to one of the rooms under preparation for workshops, and the soldiers were able to catch it. The actual fight was over as soon as it had begun, and so the mole was finally dead. Still, Knifeled decided that it would be best if the soldiers stayed near the breach for as long as it would take to seal the hole.

While the soldiers were stationed downstairs one goblin tried to enter the fortress.

Fortunately, the traps were too much for it and it was trapped inside the cage.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »

The spring was coming to end when elven caravan arrived again. This time the soldiers were there to meet them.

Goldrouted took a step forward, raising his hand.
"Stop right there!"

The two elves halted in confusion.
"Why won't you let us inside? We have come here to trade."

Goldrouted eyed the two merchant, trying to see if they carried any kind of weapons.
"By the laws of Craftwaters I hereby declare you as the enemy of our kingdom, and thus all your belongings shall be ours. Also, as the enemy of kingdom, you are hereby sentenced to death."
He turned his back to the shocked elves.
"Soldiers! Fulfill the sentence!"

The shocked elves tried to flee, both taking separate direction. The target of the squad tried to flee north, but it didn't take long from the soldiers to catch up with him, and slaughter him without mercy.

The second elf tried to flee south, and she nearly made it but the soldiers were again too fast. Again the slaughter was brutal, pieces of elf flying everywhere as the steel axes hit the poor thing. Eventually the elf died in loss of blood, which was caused by the fact that all her limbs were severed from the body.

After the fight had ended Goldrouted raised his hand to silence the soldiers.
"Hereby I, Goldrouted, announce the justice to be fulfilled!"
After that the squad returned to the fortress, where Knifeled was already waiting them with proud smile on her face.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10