Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Need DF Quotes for Poetry Class.  (Read 2741 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Need DF Quotes for Poetry Class.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:13 pm »

"Now I have become the destroyer of worlds..." - Oppenhiemer, Mannhattan Project. Not quite an orbital magma cannon, but still shiny.

I'm pretty sure the actual quote is, "Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." The full line from the Bhagavad Gita he was recalling is: "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

By the way, can you by any chance point me to an online copy of that translation?

I've found about a dozen different online translations of the Baghavad Gita (while searching for the translation that Oppenheimer was quoting), but none of the full text translations seem to use that wording.

(P.S. Can you also tell me the specific chapter and verse. I'm pretty sure that I wrote down the wrong verse number when I responded earlier)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »

I just remembered a famous movie quote that seems very appropriate to Dwarf Fortress:

"I've seen horrors... horrors that you've seen. But you have no right to call me a murderer. You have a right to kill me. You have a right to do that... but you have no right to judge me. It's impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror... Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies! I remember when I was with Special Forces... seems a thousand centuries ago. We went into a camp to inoculate some children. We left the camp after we had inoculated the children for polio, and this old man came running after us and he was crying. He couldn't see. We went back there, and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried, I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out; I didn't know what I wanted to do! And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it... I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought, my God... the genius of that! The genius! The will to do that! Perfect, genuine, complete, crystalline, pure. And then I realized they were stronger than we, because they could stand that these were not monsters, these were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us."
-Col.Kurtz (the character that Marlon Brando plays) from "Apocalypse Now"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Beach Bum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »

I'm not sure what translation that is from, I read it somewhere a while ago in a history book. I imagine there are probably a hundred different interpretations so mine may not even be correct. I do know Oppenheimer actually read the book in the original Sanskrit so who knows if his wording is actually a proper translation lol.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 09:16:15 pm »

Here's another DF appropriate quote that I just remembered:
  • THROUGH ME THE WAY INTO THE SUFFERING CITY,
  • THROUGH ME THE WAY TO THE ETERNAL PAIN,
  • THROUGH ME THE WAY THAT RUNS AMONG THE LOST.
  • JUSTICE URGED ON MY HIGH ARTIFICER; 
  • MY MAKER WAS DIVINE AUTHORITY, 
  • THE HIGHEST WISDOM, AND THE PRIMAL LOVE.
  • BEFORE ME NOTHING BUT ETERNAL THINGS 
  • WERE MADE, AND I ENDURE ETERNALLY. 
  • ABANDON EVERY HOPE, (ye) WHO ENTER HERE.

-The Inferno, Canto 3, Lines 1-9
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 10:46:15 pm »

I just remembered a passage from the Marquis De Sade's "120 Days of Sodom" that seems appropriate (well, not "appropriate", per se, but relevant at ant rate). The relevant portion of passage in question details the secluded fortified complex constructed by the protagonists of the story in order to escape investigation and prosecution for... well, for pretty much every other thing that they do in the course of the novel... and which resembles a fortress mode fortress in some of the details of its design.

I've edited the excerpt to remove the overt refrences to perverted acts and other flagrantly NSFW material because, as I previously stated, they are not the relevant portion of the passage in question. HOWEVER, given the original author of the passage in question, i've probably managed to miss something...

...you were warned...

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:47:51 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 12:25:17 am »

From "The Matrix":

Neo: Do you always look at it encoded?

Cypher: Well you have to. The image translators work for the construct program. But there's way too much information to decode the Matrix. You get used to it. I...I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh... want a drink?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 02:42:54 am »

"The meek shall inherit the Earth... But NOT it's mineral rights." -J. Paul Getty
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 02:50:25 am »

Oppenheimer translated that himself. He knew Sanskrit.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 03:43:24 am »

From "The Matrix":

Cypher: Well you have to. The image translators work for the construct program. But there's way too much information to decode the Matrix. You get used to it. I...I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, red-head. Hey, you uh... want a drink?

That is just how I feel, especialy now.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 12:18:00 am »

"They told me that you had gone totally insane sir, and that your methods were unsound ... [but] I don't see any method, at all, sir"

(another line from Apocalypse Now)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 12:20:20 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 12:20:47 am »

From "The Matrix":

That is just how I feel, especialy now.

That's AWESOME!!!
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 12:24:18 am »

I know! It has become my stardard tile set, and can now read it about as well as curses. Looking beyond the code is even cooler when the code dosn;t even look like english.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 09:07:10 am »

I know! It has become my stardard tile set, and can now read it about as well as curses. Looking beyond the code is even cooler when the code dosn;t even look like english.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:26 am »

"Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If I want to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start my own religion."
L. Ron Hubbard
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 10:01:04 pm »

"Now I have become the destroyer of worlds..." - Oppenhiemer, Mannhattan Project. Not quite an orbital magma cannon, but still shiny.

And originally from the Bhagavad Gita (Ch.11 Verse 32)

Although I can't find the specific translation that Oppenheimer used.

I'm pretty sure the actual quote is, "Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." The full line from the Bhagavad Gita he was recalling is: "If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

By the way, can you by any chance point me to an online copy of that translation?

I've found about a dozen different online translations of the Baghavad Gita (while searching for the translation that Oppenheimer was quoting), but none of the full text translations seem to use that wording.

(P.S. Can you also tell me the specific chapter and verse. I'm pretty sure that I wrote down the wrong verse number when I responded earlier)

OK, I found my printed/non-internet copy of the Baghavad-Gita under some stuff in my bedroom and I'm now reasonably sure that the verse in question is actually verse 10:34 (although 11:32 is similar).

(10:34 is translated in the version that I have as "I am death the destroyer of all", which sounds closer to what Oppenheimer said than the line in chapter eleven does)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 [2] 3