Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2  (Read 2150 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 01:01:12 pm »

Who knows, since FF10 was good but FF10-2 was bad, maybe it will be reverse for this or something.

Heh, I feel the opposite way.  I hated FF10, but FF10-2 wasn't bad.
Meh, they were both below average for me. Don't neccessarily regret buying, because they were cheap, though. FFX was basically Final Fantasy Pokemon: Suicidal Teen Edition, FFX-2 was too much implied yuri without any actual yuri(except maybe the massage minigame).

So... correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the initial plan for FF13 to release two PS3 games and a PSP game?

-FakeEdit- I looked it up and found it on Wikipedia: "Announced alongside the game was Final Fantasy Versus XIII and the PlayStation Portable game Final Fantasy Type-0, originally titled Final Fantasy Agito XIII, the three of which form the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy compilation. Square Enix explained that although all three games are thematically linked, they are not directly related in terms of story."

I haven't heard much about Versus, but maybe that turned into this sequel? Even though they weren't initially going to be related, story-wise?
Versus is an entirely separate game only tangentially related to FFXIII, oddly. It is an action RPG set on a fantasy modern earth being done by the Kingdom Hearts team.
A Kingdom Hearts-like MP game? Cool.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 01:12:44 pm »

Versus is not multiplayer.

I played through FFXIII recently and actually loved it.  The battle system was a little shallow at times, but other than that I have no issues.  I think the ending is actually pretty great too and provides some decent fuel for a sequel.

As for it splitting the fanbase in half, every single FF game since 7 had done that.

FF8 was too emo and lovey.
FF9 was too cartoony and emo.
FF10 was too linear and emo.
FF10-2 was just plain shite and kiddy.
FF11 did not happen.
FF12 was too big and confusing with a crap levelling system.
FF13 was too linear and had a crap ending.
FF14 did not happen.
FF Versus 13 is a massive secret.
FF13-2 Who knows?

These aren't my complaints, I've played and adored every single game since FF1.  They've all had down sides, yet the bad has always been overshadowed by the good IMO.

/ unashamed fanboy
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 02:26:54 pm »

My complaints about the Post FF6 state of the Series have never been that they went too 'emo' or something. After all, there's often perfectly good reasons for people to have their minds in a dark place sometimes. My problem was that, due to lazy story writing, the attitude never seems... Justified. For example, Final Fantasy Six has an actual SUICIDE ATTEMPT by a main character, but at that point in the story, it was perfectly justified by her father figure, and as far as she knows, the only other living person in the world, dying.

Cloud, in 7, had a reasonable reason for having such a twisted negative personality, and that was that he didn't actually have a personality, but a half-assed simulacrum of other people's personalities meshed together. He wasn't so much emo as much as he didn't comprehend how to behave naturally...

But what about Squall, in eight? What the fuck was his excuse? From the very beginning he acts kind of like a dick to basically everyone he meets, despite everyone he meets actively being nice to him, save for the villains. Never mind the other story writing problems that fill that game and bizarre out-of-character behaviors, and lightning fast passing of the idiot ball, that the story relies on to move forward. (A trained sharpshooter and sniper whose been in your party for hours killing things for you suddenly locking up an unable to fire on the Sorceress? Did no one screen this guy for the allegedly well planned assassination attempt? Or did they just hire the first guy who walked in with his own gun?)

This is also the point in the series where it begins to suffer from Alien Space Flea syndrome. While in the other games up until this point, there was usually a greater threat beyond the one you think is the threat in the beginning, some monstrous evil power manipulating a lesser villain, before you usually learned of that early on, or at least half way through the story. In 6, for example, you had the Empire you fought against in the beginning, before Kefka makes his move and seizes the title of the Big Bad. In Seven, while you're fighting ShinRa Corp., Sephiroth and Jenova are key elements of the story long before you ever actually meet or fight either of them.

In eight, Queen Ultimecia seems to come out of nowhere, though mentioned a few times before the final confrontation. Her role in the story is poorly defined until late in the game, removing the sense of foreboding one might have had in FF7 when you cross through the wake of death left behind by Sephiroth.

FF9 just felt disjointed and random without any coherency as to what was going on. While an attempt to get back in touch with the series roots, I never felt like anything mattered and the characters were just poorly characterized, with a few exceptions, but bizarre character designs and storytelling that never really went anywhere or felt anything approaching epic killed it for me.

Ten? The ongoing narration by Titus and the repeated attempts to beat you over the head with the themes of the story were annoying, but even that didn't kill it for me. What killed it for me was again, the lack of coherency of anything. Look at their design choices for instance. The bizarre dress of most people in Spira can be handwaved away, that's fine, but then you have the fact that you have characters like Lulu, who, despite allegedly being native to the world, seems like a square peg in a round hole. She doesn't look like a native, is the only person who dresses like... That. Wakka is the only person in the entire world with a Caribbean accent. No one else, even in the same village shares it. Where the hell did that accent even come from?

You have transparently evil characters like Seymour, whose success again relies only on the fact that everyone around him is carrying the idiot ball. This also had the absolute worst Alien Space Flea infection, what with the final boss being a weird floaty black thing inside Sin that was never mentioned before, or afterwards. The only real, interesting boss fight in the entire game is the one against Jecht near the end of the game. In fact, if they really wanted to make the game's themes really tie together well, they would have set it up through out the story to make THAT be the final boss fight. It would make Titus' narration about how it was 'his story', actually sound not egotistical.

11 is an MMO, and doesn't count. Same with 14.

12: I've already gone to some lengths to describe my problems with 12 in another, older post. Primarily, it is the inappropriate insistence on having Vaan as the main character when he both isn't the main character of the story, and doesn't make sense as a party leader, particular when the other possibilities are, Charismatic Pirate, Grizzled Military Captain, and Royalty. Any one of those would be better party leaders and main characters, than someone whose only experience is 'street urchin'.

Never mind that the aforementioned complaints about lazy script and story writing also apply here, in spades.

And that's where my rant must stop, as 12 put me off the series. Not to mention, not owning a PS3.

Tl;dr, Final Fantasy 6 and to a lesser extent, 7, stand as examples of mostly good story writing, while the others seem to have the Family Guy writing team behind them.
!!&!!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:32:16 am »

But what about Squall, in eight? What the fuck was his excuse? From the very beginning he acts kind of like a dick to basically everyone he meets, despite everyone he meets actively being nice to him, save for the villains.

I just assumed he had some severe social anxiety disorder or something.  :)

FF6 was my favorite too.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 11:44:47 am »

There's a lot to be said for FF2. The plot of that was great.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:57 pm »

But what about Squall, in eight? What the fuck was his excuse? From the very beginning he acts kind of like a dick to basically everyone he meets, despite everyone he meets actively being nice to him, save for the villains.

I think it was because Ellone, that otherwise plot-unimportant girl who keeps sending you into Laguna's memories, and was the oldest child of their orphanage group(despite being about a foot and a half shorter than everyone else besides Selphie, and appearing to be a few years younger), left the orphanage. I think Squall was in love with her or something. Or he's just a complete dick.

The whole Guardian Force thing from that game doesn't make that much sense. Why would anyone use a power that literally drills a metaphysical hole in one's brain and kills their long-term memory center?

By the way, is it just me, or does Squall's face scar reverse itself throughout the game? Sometimes it goes /, sometimes it's a \.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:48 pm »

ff10-2 was actually really fun and most of the backlash against it is because guys took one look at it and said "ewww girls what do you think i am some kind of faggot?".

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 09:45:25 pm »

I think it was because Ellone, that otherwise plot-unimportant girl who keeps sending you into Laguna's memories, and was the oldest child of their orphanage group(despite being about a foot and a half shorter than everyone else besides Selphie, and appearing to be a few years younger), left the orphanage. I think Squall was in love with her or something. Or he's just a complete dick.

The whole Guardian Force thing from that game doesn't make that much sense. Why would anyone use a power that literally drills a metaphysical hole in one's brain and kills their long-term memory center?

By the way, is it just me, or does Squall's face scar reverse itself throughout the game? Sometimes it goes /, sometimes it's a \.

To be fair, the Guardian Force has caused him to forget what caused him pain and not the fact that it already fucked him up. Doesn't hide the fact that he is a bit of a little bitch.

Also, Rinoa sucks big time. She seemed to just act as the load for the entire game.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 09:59:00 pm »

ff10-2 was actually really fun and most of the backlash against it is because guys took one look at it and said "ewww girls what do you think i am some kind of faggot?".

This. I loved the campy story and all that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 11:08:18 pm »

There's a lot to be said for FF2. The plot of that was great.

Man, me too. Great game, FF2. I loved the mechanics of it more, though. Build your own characters - anyone can use any spell or any weapon, with practice. Anyone's stats can go in any way depending on how you use them. It's so unique and brilliant that it baffles me to this day that they got rid of it and went back to the comparatively primitive leveling system and went back to having weapons and spells limited to certain characters.
Pages: 1 [2]