Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIII-2  (Read 2148 times)

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy XIII-2
« on: January 18, 2011, 10:44:15 pm »

Source

After years of build-up and waiting, Final Fantasy XIII was released to so-so reviews. The game was a disappointment. But, if at first you don't succeed, try again.

Regardless of fan bickering or indifference, the game was a monster hit for Square Enix, moving over six million copies.

The game's developer, Square Enix, is working on Final Fantasy XIII-2, a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII.

The number of Final Fantasy games can be confusing for non-fans. Each of the games do not follow sequential order, so when Square Enix wants to do a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, the game does not end up being Final Fantasy XIV (which is a totally different, already released game), but Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Final Fantasy XIII Gets A Second Chance With A Second Game There is a precedent for this as Square Enix released a sequel to Final Fantasy X in 2003 called Final Fantasy X-2. The sequel followed the exploits of Final Fantasy X heroine Yuna, and Final Fantasy XIII is expected to do the same.

Square Enix has only unveiled the game's logo, which showed Final Fantasy XIII heroine Lightning as well as a new, unnamed character. It is thought that this character is Lightning's rival.

Unlike Final Fantasy XIII, which caused controversy by originally only being slated for the PS3, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is penciled in for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, right off the bat. The game won't have the wait that Final Fantasy XIII did. According to Square Enix, it will be released in 2011.

Okay seriously? Why the hell would you give a sequel to a game that broke the fanbase in two?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 10:49:35 pm »

Okay seriously? Why the hell would you give a sequel to a game that broke the fanbase in two?

To make money off the half that liked it.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:44 pm »

Who knows, since FF10 was good but FF10-2 was bad, maybe it will be reverse for this or something.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:06:19 am »

Final Fantasy XIII was extremely linear with no sidequest like the original final fantasy games where we go exploring and looking for hidden treasures and summons (like anima (FFX), Odin (FF8), and ultimate items. So far the game is good for the storyline but lack the ability of replayability (unless you want achievements). After hearing about this, I wonder how FF XIII going to end cause I'm close to beating it.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 02:53:37 am »

Final Fantasy XIII was extremely linear with no sidequest like the original final fantasy games where we go exploring and looking for hidden treasures and summons (like anima (FFX), Odin (FF8), and ultimate items. So far the game is good for the storyline but lack the ability of replayability (unless you want achievements). After hearing about this, I wonder how FF XIII going to end cause I'm close to beating it.

Sorry to say it, but prepare for one of the most boring, uninspired, and anti-climatic FF ending in the history of the series.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:56 am »

I demand a remake of FF7. Don't change a thing, upgrade the graphics to the most shit-awesome psuedo 3d graphics possible, and add the same music tracks, but enhance the audio quality to today's standards. Could be done in a year.

Yaaaa. Kinda lost interest after seeing the epic of that game, and the "eh" of the new ones.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:48:54 am »

I demand a remake of FF7. Don't change a thing, upgrade the graphics to the most shit-awesome psuedo 3d graphics possible, and add the same music tracks, but enhance the audio quality to today's standards. Could be done in a year.

Yaaaa. Kinda lost interest after seeing the epic of that game, and the "eh" of the new ones.
What would be the point? It would be the same game but with a bit better graphics. How boring..

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:57 am »

I'd rather have the same amazing game then a new horrible game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 08:01:55 am »

I'd rather have something new than play the same old game again. -shrug-

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 09:57:33 am »

Interestingly, when the PS3 came out, they made a video of FF7's opening scene to show off the PS3's graphics capabilities.

I still have that video on my computer, in fact.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 10:04:43 am »

So... correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the initial plan for FF13 to release two PS3 games and a PSP game?

-FakeEdit- I looked it up and found it on Wikipedia: "Announced alongside the game was Final Fantasy Versus XIII and the PlayStation Portable game Final Fantasy Type-0, originally titled Final Fantasy Agito XIII, the three of which form the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy compilation. Square Enix explained that although all three games are thematically linked, they are not directly related in terms of story."

I haven't heard much about Versus, but maybe that turned into this sequel? Even though they weren't initially going to be related, story-wise?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:03 am »

I was going to comment on this and FF13 in general, but then I would have to admit that I paid £40 for it.

Wait... Shit.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 12:01:20 pm »

Who knows, since FF10 was good but FF10-2 was bad, maybe it will be reverse for this or something.

Heh, I feel the opposite way.  I hated FF10, but FF10-2 wasn't bad.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 12:27:55 pm »

Heh, I feel the opposite way.  I hated FF10, but FF10-2 wasn't bad.
FF10 isn't bad, but the PAL version hates my guts.

As for FFXII-2... just wait and see. Starting before there's even any fuel is kinda stupid imo.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 12:40:27 pm »

So... correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the initial plan for FF13 to release two PS3 games and a PSP game?

-FakeEdit- I looked it up and found it on Wikipedia: "Announced alongside the game was Final Fantasy Versus XIII and the PlayStation Portable game Final Fantasy Type-0, originally titled Final Fantasy Agito XIII, the three of which form the Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy compilation. Square Enix explained that although all three games are thematically linked, they are not directly related in terms of story."

I haven't heard much about Versus, but maybe that turned into this sequel? Even though they weren't initially going to be related, story-wise?
Versus is an entirely separate game only tangentially related to FFXIII, oddly. It is an action RPG set on a fantasy modern earth being done by the Kingdom Hearts team.
Pages: [1] 2