Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too many idlers, or the proper exploitation of dwarven labor  (Read 1027 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Too many idlers, or the proper exploitation of dwarven labor
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:36:49 pm »

Yeah, after a few waves of migrants, I nearly always have about 30 idlers at all times, except when a mass-haul operation is ordered (see: every caravan ever). So it's nice for that, but the rest of the time it just seems wasteful. Any tips?

Oh and while I'm asking questions: I expose part of my farm to the sky, then build a floor over it. Outdoor crops okay or not okay?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many idlers, or the proper exploitation of dwarven labor
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:53:37 pm »

I never have enough idlers. Always too busy with megaprojects. :(

Yes. Megaprojects. Plural. Multiple projects all at the same time.

Idlers aren't bad, it just means you have a very flexible workforce. There is no danger of roasts rotting in a kitchen because there is always a hauler available.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 07:57:25 pm »

No such thing as a useless dwarf. The military is a good fallback, and masons, carpenters, and mechanics are all good for mass making defenses and mega-projects. Or they can be test subjects for your !!SCIENCE!!.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:33 pm »

I get angsty everytime I have more than 10 idlers, so I spend a lot of time micromanaging my workforces.
By which I mean assigning every otherwise useless migrant to either the military, or hauling brigade.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:05:06 pm »

If I notice a particular dwarf with "no job" quite often then i tend to draft them into the militia. Give him some leather armour and a crossbow and off to fight the trolls when the real military gets slaughter/is being useless.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:10:57 pm »

Having a lot of idlers means your fort is running smoothly and efficiently. Little labour is wasted on senselssly hauling stone or "store item in a bin boss". Make sure to have a meeting area filled with statues and windows and stuff, so they can enjoy their free time.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:17:09 pm »

if sand -> 6 magma glassworks, and 3 jeweler workshops.
BAM - keep enough bags on hand and your workers will never go idle again. Once the glassmakers hit legendary, you can make other things besides just raw green glass. Like clear glass furniture. And a zillion windows for the observation area. And boxes for Display Cases (if you play that mod).

Also, I'd like to second the "carpenter/mason/mechanic" journeymen. Just make sure your actual workshops are set to above "dabbling".
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:46 pm »

And boxes for Display Cases (if you play that mod).
I forgot that existed, actually. Link plx?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:27 pm »

And boxes for Display Cases (if you play that mod).
I forgot that existed, actually. Link plx?
Near as I can tell (From the stickied Mod & Utilities List) it got subsumed by the Genesis Mod. If you don't want to use the whole thing, I'm almost certain display cases could be easily separated out from the whole mod (unlike many of the other features).

If you do try the whole mod - enjoy your werewolf sieges and stealthy flying poisonous ithillid thieves:
"What's causing that weird cloud of toxin there? Oh god. It's moving through the air! Into my fort! The walls! They do nothing!"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:36 pm »

<.< I did a forum search and found a thing. Have there been significant updates to the DC mod since it was added to Genesis? Cause if not I can just use that.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »

Make them all masons.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 08:41:41 pm »

<.< I did a forum search and found a thing. Have there been significant updates to the DC mod since it was added to Genesis? Cause if not I can just use that.

Nice job! I suck at using the search. Add "[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_Y]" for a hotkey letter, but otherwise it's exactly the same.
He also added a "potted plant" workshop. All it needs is a bucket.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »

Make them go skydiving.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 09:54:14 pm »

Make sure to have a meeting area filled with statues and windows and stuff, so they can enjoy their free time.

Nah, they don't like free time. They're fond of industry!