Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure plat controlled doors  (Read 1231 times)

nubdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure plat controlled doors
« on: January 18, 2011, 06:12:54 pm »

So I was trying to made a goblin grinder at the entrance to my fortress
like this
-D-    D = Door
I^ I   I / - = Wall
I   I  ^ pressure plate connected to door
I^ I
-D-

just a little longer, haven't built the traps yet.
my dwarfs are getting stuck in it and I can't figure out why...
Ive got the plates set to 'Citizens do not trigger' and yet its acting like they do
this is the first time Ive really ever incorporated pressure plates into my defense
I need some help here...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Pressure plat controlled doors
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:20:16 pm »

First, when a door is controlled by a pressure plate, it can only be opened by triggering the pressure plate.  So once your doors were linked, they were effectively locked until triggered to open.

Second, a trigger signal from a pressure plate will cause an attached door to open, not close.  Your doors will be closed until something steps on the pressure plate, at which point they will open.  When the creature steps off the pressure plate, the door will wait 100 frames and then close.  No, you can't easily reverse this action.

This is why goblin grinder traps use floor hatches over holes in the floor, not doors.  The floor hatch will be 'closed', providing an apparent path, until something steps on the pressure plate, at which point it will instantly open and break the path.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nubdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 06:23:30 pm »

I think it could still work with doors set up like this then
I^I
IDI
I  I
IDI
I^I

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »

Why would you possibly think that would work?  The doors will be closed by default.  Nothing will attempt to path through the doors, because they are closed and block traffic.  If an invading goblin happens by chance to step on one of the pressure plate, it may open the connected door, but the other door will still be closed, blocking traffic.  And if something somehow got into the middle, it will be stuck there forever by the closed doors.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nubdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:24:03 pm »

I see now

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:21 pm »

Use hatches over channels instead of doors in your first design, and all your problems will be solved. Just make sure to remove the ramps left by channeling.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 08:27:35 pm »

I^I
IDI
I  I
IDI
I^I

If you link both doors to the plate and remove the walls around the plate, will a goblin decide to take the short path instead and lock himself in?

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:45:37 am »

I^I
IDI
I  I
IDI
I^I

If you link both doors to the plate and remove the walls around the plate, will a goblin decide to take the short path instead and lock himself in?

If it's locked at the beginning then no creature will try to walk down it.  If you want to use doors and pressure plates, then try this:
Code: [Select]
### ###
MMD^DMM
MMD^DMM
### ###
The goblin walks north or south through the gap, triggering the plates which opens the door.. Guess what's behind the door?

Magma Surprise!!
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Barrow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:36 am »

Once a path has been calculated, I don't believe it will be recalculated unless the path becomes blocked, so no. It's like setting up different traffic patterns once a dwarf has started pathing; he'll happily tromp through a restricted area until he's stopped (reached his destination or lost the path he was taking) and starts looking for a new route.

I could be wrong, however, as I don't usually use grinders.

nubdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 11:06:30 am »

I like that Magma idea...
I just started my first fortress on the side of a volcano
I think I may give it a try...