Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A scratch?  (Read 1286 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
A scratch?
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:07:42 pm »

I used to think a scratch in dwarf fortress meant scratching something, like an itch but much harder.

Then a troll had a bone broken.

So what IS a scratch?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A scratch?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:16:21 pm »

Remember that part in kill bill where the protagonist snatches someones eyes out. That's what scratches in dwarf fortress are like, with the added twist that they can jam the skull into the brain.  ;D

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:42:44 am »

My dorf jammed his fist into the kobold mouth and scratched the lower rear tooth out and then threw it away.... down 3 z levels.

Never. Ever let your dwarf get infected by lice:D

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 08:19:03 am »

A scratch is what a cat does with its claws. And yes, it hurts. ;)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:27:58 am »

If you think about it, really, dwarves are filthy, disgusting, slovenly creatures. They spit out seeds in the dining rooms. They let tamed animals run around their fort rampantly and presumably poop wherever they want. It'd make sense for them to have long, disgusting fingernails. Probably with ragged edges and bits of rock stuck under them.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:30:25 am »

Surprisingly, on a lot of the occasions when someone gets scratched by a cat, the biggest part of the scratch is not made by the cat, but by the subconcious reflex of pulling back your hand.
An angry cat will make most of the scratch itself, true.
But often, a cat is just being playful, or trying to give a warning punch. Try holding your hand still and you won't get a scratch.

Cat scratches are nasty. Cats have evolved a hollow space inside their nails, that collects dirt. It's purpose is to infect wounds it makes.
So, always clean a cat scratch well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:32:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:25 am »

scratch is an slap-like attack which tail the strike with the claws on that limb. Dwarven fingers is likely like human's and do not have extended claws. Wild animals do. That's why scratch attacks hurt in DF. Everyone got expendable claws like wolverine from x-men.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:38:07 am »

"Scratching" is an an ancient and lethal artform and self defense passed done from the Mandrill Queen to the dwarven peoples. Utilizing their well-conditioned, stout little fingers with steel-tipped nails, and certain principles of quatum physics, it is possible for dwarven scratchers to disintegrate flesh and bone with a single strike.

Ok, I'm done.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 10:15:55 am »

My dorf jammed his fist into the kobold mouth and scratched the lower rear tooth out and then threw it away.... down 3 z levels.

Never. Ever let your dwarf get infected by lice:D
I had a Dorf who lost and upper right rear tooth (or something) to a harpy. :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 11:18:02 am »

Surprisingly, on a lot of the occasions when someone gets scratched by a cat, the biggest part of the scratch is not made by the cat, but by the subconcious reflex of pulling back your hand.
But often, a cat is just being playful, or trying to give a warning punch. Try holding your hand still and you won't get a scratch.

I...I work at a pet hospital and suddenly want to try this. Problem is most of our cats are either declawed or super nice.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 11:34:03 am »

I...I work at a pet hospital and suddenly want to try this. Problem is most of our cats are either declawed or super nice.
You can do this without cats. Fork in one hand, fist up the other. Now with a swift motion, try to "claw" your fisted hand with the fork's pointy ends. Now do that again, but this time, move the clenched hand in the opposite direction. Observe the increased amount of tear.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »

Use a copper carving fork for optimal results  ;D

fatherjimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 06:01:55 pm »

Choking them to unconsciousness works for not getting a scratch as well.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:39:45 pm »

That's why scratch attacks hurt in DF. Everyone got expendable claws like wolverine from x-men.
Sums it up good.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 03:01:20 am »

You can do this without cats. Fork in one hand, fist up the other. Now with a swift motion, try to "claw" your fisted hand with the fork's pointy ends. Now do that again, but this time, move the clenched hand in the opposite direction. Observe the increased amount of tear.
Thanks for the advice.  On my fifth attempt I was able to tear all the way through the skin instead of just causing a major gash.  Gonna go to the hospital now...
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."