Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: underground thieves  (Read 837 times)

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
underground thieves
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »

Can kobold thieves (or others) come from the underground caverns ?

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: underground thieves
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 03:37:37 pm »

dont think so, never seen it happen

can you expand your scenario to explain what exactly happened that would make you think they would?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:51 pm »

No.  The only races that can come from the underground map edges are those which naturally live underground, and AFAIK none of the underground races in vanilla DF send thieves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

glawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:58:06 pm »

Thanks for the answer, it never happened, i was just asking because i'm beginning my first cave exploration and i wanted to know what protection i should design. So normal traps will be enough, no need for dogs.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:40 pm »

Well...depending on your world gen parameters, even the first level cavern can contain Forgotten Beasts, trolls, Giant Cave Spiders, and many other sources of disaster fun. I walled off a magma tube completely in my current embark, then a couple days later two FBs showed up.

And you knew that FBs are [TRAPAVOID], right?
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:04:00 pm »

On a side note, do thieves and creatures with [TRAPAVOID] not set off traps, or are they immune to them as well? Specifically, I'm thinking of lacing my entrances with rows of spear traps and one guy just constantly pulling the lever. Probably the same one that controls the danger room. =P
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:21:22 pm »

Upright spike/spear traps will harm any creature, even those with [TRAPAVOID].  They'll also harm your own dwarves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:42:53 pm »

trapavoid is not immunity. for instance, if a trapavoid creature is unconscious on a trap, the trap will take effect. one way to knock creatures unconscious is with a cave-in. you can use this to your advantage if you ever want a clown in a cage. hilarity ensues.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »

Just a tip to avoid stuff like underground beats, to explore caverns without creating a space for enemies to get into your fort, just dig to the side of a wall, smooth a block of it, then turn it into a fortification, it reveals more cavern and theres no way for enemies to get through it.
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:01:23 pm »

Just a tip to avoid stuff like underground beats, to explore caverns without creating a space for enemies to get into your fort, just dig to the side of a wall, smooth a block of it, then turn it into a fortification, it reveals more cavern and theres no way for enemies to get through it.

Or dig until you get an announcement, then wall that section off with constructed walls. Fortifications are less work but require that you know exactly where the cavern begins. They're better with adamantine spires for finding the hollow center, in my humble opinion.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:21:40 pm »

you can use this to your advantage if you ever want a clown in a cage. hilarity ensues.

I think you'll find that those sorts of creatures cannot be knocked unconscious by any means (due to the [NOSTUN] token) - the only current means of caging them is a giant cave spider silk web sitting on top of the trap, but even that might be fixed in a future release.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

capt.pantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 04:03:23 pm »

Can kobold thieves (or others) come from the underground caverns ?

Not Kobolds, but Gremlins can - they also can unlock doors and whatnot, much like thieves.

JacaByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 07:29:54 pm »

Do creatures with [TRAPAVOID] trigger pressure plates?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:37:44 pm »

They do not.

You should also know that thieves are not the only things that steal items - some curious beasts will steal items left lying around, and drunians are one such creature that can be found in the caverns.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.