Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A bronze colossus.... How much will this take?  (Read 1374 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
A bronze colossus.... How much will this take?
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:24:30 pm »

Its right upper leg is broken. Its right upper leg is smashed open. its right upper leg is dented. Its head is b roken. Its head is smashed open. Its head is dented. Its upper body is broken. Its upper body is smashed open. Its uper body is dented. Its left upper leg is broken. its left upper leg is cut open. Its left lower leg is broken. Its left lower leg is cut open....

... its right upper arm is gone. Its left upper arm is gone. Its right foot is gone.

Now I appreciate the training it's giving my marksmen, but HOW MUCH MORE UNTIL THE THING DIES?

I've read that
-decapitation is insta-kill
-fluffy wamblers may be good at this
-magma/obsidian works

But how much plain damage would it take? Or do I have to wait until somebody shoots its head off?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A bronze colossus.... How much will this take?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 02:28:20 pm »

With material entities like the bronze colosus, all you really need to do is enough damage either the head, upper body, or lower body until one part runs out of HP.  The head is the quickest and easiest part to sever.

Yes you can sever off a bronze colosus's lower body if you hack at it enough.  Enough damage to the upper body will make it crumble.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 02:30:30 pm »

So I literally need to smash one of those open ._.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:39:28 pm »

From my experience, it's extremely difficult to kill a colossus with marksdwarves. After about a season of them plinking away at it, a goblin ambush party trying their luck against it (quite unsuccessfully), and it dodging a bolt straight into the empty channel that is my moat, I eventually had to send my melee dwarves to finish it off.

Marksdwarves just aren't any good at taking them down, because they don't have vital organs to hit.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »

True.

But I put it there to train them, so that's a good thing.

Just getting annoying how long it's surviving. Just kinda bugs me I guess.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:00:31 pm »

I once had a marksdwarf who shot a cyclops 8 times (as in, there were 8 separate bolts stuck into the cyclops) before it finally died. Thats just the number of bolts that stayed in him, i dont know how many he shot that just clipped him or went through or something. Megabeasts dont die quick.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 03:26:30 pm »

I once had a marksdwarf who shot a cyclops 8 times (as in, there were 8 separate bolts stuck into the cyclops) before it finally died. Thats just the number of bolts that stayed in him, i dont know how many he shot that just clipped him or went through or something. Megabeasts dont die quick.

Lol. A freaking cyclops. That's all?

Cyclops- meat giant

Colossus- metal giant

I have at least 50 pages of dents, glances and fractures. I bet at least 40 bolts are stuck in this guy.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:05 pm »

It depends, really. I had a marksdwarf kill one in one shot once. It was a flying one made of salt. I didn't know about combat logs at the time, so the nearest I can figure is that the marksdwarf got a shot directly on the wings while it was flying toward the cavern entrance to my fort near a rather steep hill and it fell about 4 z levels, where it died. I'm not sure he got credit for the kill though, unfortunately.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 08:54:36 pm »

What happens if you use cotton candy bolts, legendary+5 markswdarves, and whatever bow is the best?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 09:36:53 pm »

Funobtanium is actually rather poor for bolts, as I understand it. Too light.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:01 pm »

So long as ammo is plentiful, I'd just use this as an opportunity for target-practice.  Think how levelled-up your marksdwarves are going to get!
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 11:23:30 pm »

Begin mass wooden bolt production; you have a chance to put all those legendary woodcrafters to use.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 11:53:46 pm »

Funobtanium is actually rather poor for bolts, as I understand it. Too light.

So bolts are like hammers?

Massive silver bolt production ensues.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 12:07:01 am »

They're basically halfway between blunt and edged. They need to be both heavy and sharp to effectively penetrate targets. Go with steel. Silver is heavy, but it won't get them to stick. Adamantine cuts through flesh like butter, but it's just not heavy enough to hit with enough force to hurt.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 04:35:13 am »

Not sure about opponents like bronze colossi, but from my experience steel is already too light... bronze is my material of choice (although again it's behind copper and silver against unarmoured fleshy things).

From my experience, the only weapons to take them down in a reasonable time frame are picks and, to a lesser extent, short swords... but getting close and personal is of course going to be risky.
Pages: [1] 2