Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: trade agreement color coding  (Read 747 times)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trade agreement color coding
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:27:13 pm »

so when you make a trade agreement, you have a slider on the far right side, which I have assumed sets a priority for that item. IE if I set it all the way to the right it indicates that I want a lot of that item and am willing to pay for it, my question is can any one actually tell me what this slider does/what it means? and what various colors stand for?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: trade agreement color coding
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:32:39 pm »

Setting the slider further to the right means that you will pay the traders more for those items.
This in turn increases the chance of them bringing those items when they visit next time.

The colors are purely cosmetic, they are just there as an extra visual aid.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:35:25 pm »

that is what I thought, I just didn't want to assume that.
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 10:02:52 am »

Each tick of the slider is an increase of 20-30%.

I.E. 1 tick = 120%-130%
2 ticks = 140%-160%, etc.

250% seems to be the hard cap on trading premium.

If you look at their requests of you, you get the same scale and they provide handy numerical values, to boot.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:42:09 am »

For each notch, the caravan will attempt to bring one "unit" of that item (usually a normally-sized stack, but requesting cloth or leather results in a bin filled with 10 pieces), so maxing it will cause them to bring 4 (and boost the prices). Do note, though, that item weight is still a concern, so requesting a bunch of types of ore from the Dwarven caravan at maximum priority could cause them to not bring anything else since ore is really heavy (in 40d, this was a common concern when requesting metal bars).

Also note that a single request can affect multiple types of items - if you request steel bars from the dwarves, then they will also charge extra for other items made from steel, such as weapons, armor, and anvils.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:03:46 pm »

IIRC - requests also affect same-category items.

i.e. - if you request steel bars, they'll also bring more copper, rosegold, iron, etc, bars and these will not be at higher prices.  A common tactic when ordering wood from the humans was to peg the price of cedar and then buy out all their wood.