Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Double double cross  (Read 997 times)

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Double double cross
« on: January 18, 2011, 11:37:52 am »

ok, so basically, im friendly with humans, get caravans. but alot of goblin attacks against me used to be led by humans, pretty tough ones too. (all the attackers had standard chain mailish armour) BUT then in a massive invasion a couple of years ago the goblins civilizations human general came along (and was cut in half). for 4 years i had no goblin attacks until the odd trikiling of snatchers till one day, three goblin ambush parties appeared on the map similtaneously and immediatley were revealed because as soon as they entered the m,ap they began attacking their human leaders (the human leaders remainded hostile towards me) and since then no goblin attacks have contained humans like they used to.
(also, all attackers now only have crappy leather armour, no metal at all)

Is this just part of the awsome programming in this game or somthing else?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Double double cross
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »

This is a known bug. Whenever a goblin squad has a leader that is not a goblin, they will turn hostile on it, and trigger a loyalty cascade amongst them
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:43:14 pm »

but they didnt.  for years they were quite ahppy being led by a human leadr, no qualms at all, only after i killed their human general did they attack their human leaders. also why the change in armour?

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:25 pm »

This sounds similar to what i experienced, except i interpreted it differently. I've seen human raid parties show up at the same time as elven raid parties, or elves and goblins, and everyone just ends up killing each other, and then i lower my bridge, clean up the left overs, and pick up the loot :D
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:12:43 pm »

When the leader of an enemy civ enters the map, the game doesn't seem to count him among the group he leads, regardless of race. At least that's what I've found when the Goblin master led his troops into battle, upon which the Master turned to punch one of his subordinates, lost his "master" title, and got the shit beat out of him by two macegobs.

The last time this happened the goblins were led by a demon made of fire. Leading a squad of at least a dozen bowmen. Poor bastard lit the entire map on fire before finally being shot down.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:40:36 am »

no, thas not what im saying, the squads were being led directly by a human, behaving exactly the same as if it was a gobli leader. one of the civ leaders for the goblins was a human. when he came into the map on an invasion, he also led his squad of goblins as normal. no bugs at all up to this point. only started when i killed that human leader. from then on only one more coblin attack had humans leading it, which they attacked and both those human leaders and all the goblins that have come since for some reason dont have armour anymore, just clothes.

this would make perfect sense if it was part of the game, goblins led by humans, when human leader dies, goblins revolt and oust humans. if this was part of the game its pretty darn cool and intricate and if this is just by chance, then it should be part of the game anyway.

the main thing i dont get is why none of them have any armour anymore? they have sheilds and weapons, but no armour. does this happen if you kill a leader of a civ, do their troops get downgraded?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 11:48:09 am »

Maybe this is why both of my fortresses upgraded from 0.31.12/0.31.16 now have all goblin invaders not wearing armor anymore - I thought it was from updating their raws with the neck/throat changes from 0.31.17.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.