Would people like the turns real time daily or 3 days

Daily
- 7 (100%)
3 Daily
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: February 05, 2011, 03:28:32 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Mission to Mars - a forum game (New peoples always welcome!)  (Read 14771 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Mission to Mars (A WIP idea)
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2011, 12:15:59 pm »

Hmm and there was I today comparing the lift potential of the S-V compared to modern "Heavy Lift" systems... It blitzes ESA's Arianne 5, which has enough payload to lift the VAST ATV, and both are technically human rateable....
This is a blank sig.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2011, 12:23:23 pm »

Saturn V apparently has 3 stages including TLI stage. Hm. Its probably still not enough.

Would probably be more efficient to use Ares than strap a shitload of already decomissioned Saturn V rockets to it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 12:32:32 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2011, 12:34:41 pm »

Saturn V lift capacity: 118000 kg
Ares V lift capacity: 414000

Also, remember the Ares would have a rocket also capable of TMI/TLI burn.
Youd need prbably 4 Saturn V's aswell as one or two already in orbit to make the mission.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:53:34 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »

posting to watch and remember.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »

Some Ideas i've had.

-Crew can be micromanaged inbetween months a bit during long missions.
  For example, wear and tear has damaged the Mars mission over the duration. Crewman chooses to go EVA and fix it.
  The risks - Endurance roll for radiation poisioning, EVA roll for repairs.
 These repairs will be a necessity, I estimate 4 or so times their will be routine repairs 'needed' during a mission to Mars. They wont be  forced, you can choose not to risk the crew, but I dont forsee a ship making it to Mars without at least 1 repair EVA.

-ISS and MIR will need the same type of routine repairs at times, as will any future large satellites launched.

-I will be allowing the possibility for a Saturn V rocket. This will be a quad booster rocket of three stages and an   orbital Earth Departure package docked with the ISS (two mission/joint mission deal). The price of this will probably be high, but research will be minimal as this is a veteran rocket.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:19:03 am by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »

Next ill work on habitats and equipment.

I already have planned for a communcations relay, lunar and martian.
High tech satellites.
Martian reconaissance probes and ground vehicles .
Temporary habitats.
Developed habitats (require delivery of tools and metals).
Lunar rover.
Lunar rover and research vehicle (The 'car' like vehicle they have recently invented)
He2 mining, manufacture and export to earth.
Deep space scanners (Lunar and Mars)
Farside communication (laying fiber optic wires to the other side of the moon for continous communication, very solid but expensive method)
Satellites in orbit for communications (not as solid as ground wires/microwave towers but provides communication to far side)
Lagrange point station? if you have the guts to try it.

More to come.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 03:23:38 pm »

If anyone knows of russian equipment I'm all ears.

My knowledge of the Russian space program outside of the 60's stretches to Soyuz only. I'm planning for the Soyuz to still be in action at the beginning, but for the Russians to have a new capsule during the timeframe.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 04:22:33 pm »

Basic summary of my knowledge of thier "state of play": rocketry technology pretty much unchanged, same for soyuz. Buran project (space shuttle equivalent) shelved after unmanned test flight in early 80's due to costs/end of cold war/fall of communism. Current Kliper project looking at feasabiity of reusable lifting body style mini shuttle...
This is a blank sig.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:21 pm »

Hm. Sounds like not much options. However, I will be creating the SOYUZ II capsule! to go along with their klipper possibility. The minishuttle is basicly a Russian version of the Space Shuttle?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:50:18 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 04:52:51 pm »

Also due to alternate timeline and for balance, the MIR space station will be still up and operational.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 05:04:01 pm »

Buran was a shuttle designed to fill the same role - if that had got off the ground (Ha!) then MIR might still be viable... Kliper is more like the ESA hermes idea or NASA's x-38...

Russia also has a stake in the CSTS - an ESA project for a human rated crew transfer craft in theory capable of reaching the moon and Mars...
This is a blank sig.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 05:32:03 pm »

Ok we will have to have a working soviet shuttle, but the minishuttles will still be considered 'future technologies' on the horizon. Will research more.

CEV is apparently part of the Orion idea, being european though I would say the CEV in this timeframe would be avaliable for research and use by both sides. It is an integral part of lunar/mars missions, I believe.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:36:32 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 05:39:12 pm »

Some rockets useful for the era:

Ariane 5/SRB's - ESA
Proton - Russia

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 07:26:30 pm »

First rules for equipment are started. Need to add relative lift amounts to rockets. Also more mission stages i'm sure i've missed, specifically hauling equipment (I havent finished equipment yet.) and resupply/equipping ISS + MIR. Need to add space shuttle for each side.

Mission stages

USA

Ares V: 1st Launch into LEO*. Power-up hardware of EDS once Orion docks with. 2nd TLI burn*.

Orion: E/L/M Orbital insertion*. Docking. Earth/Lunar/Martian activities. Duration A,B,C,D,E,F**. Mid course burn*. De-orbit burn*. Re-entry. Landing/recovery. Power up solar panels***.

LEM: Powerup LEM hardware. L/M descent*. L/M ascent*. Docking.

EU

Ariane 5/SRB: Launch into LEO*.

Russia

Proton: Launch into LEO*.

Soyuz: E/L/M Orbital insertion*. Docking. Earth/Lunar/Martian activities. Duration A,B,C,D,E,F**. Mid course burn*. De-orbit burn*. Re-entry. Landing/recovery. Power up solar panels***.

*  = Suffers an attrition roll
** = Suffers a moral attrition roll AND attrition roll.
***Solar panels allow duration problems to be re-rolled once due to the benefit of not having hard stores of power.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:28:47 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 01:06:10 pm »

While reading some FAQs on BARIS, I learned that the tech formula was just rolling one d6 for every team you pay for.  Then some random events would increase or decrease the dice to anywhere from d5 to d8 for a season or two.  So that's a pretty simple system to duplicate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13