Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Troll Behavior  (Read 590 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Strange Troll Behavior
« on: January 18, 2011, 03:57:17 am »

Lately, I've had some very strange trolls.  They come with the goblins and follow them around, but unlike the goblins, they can't seem to open the door I have outside.  They just sit there and stare at it.  It's not even forbidden (though I thought they were building destroyers?).  Their goblin pals are caught in some grinders and I just sent the military out to kill them, but... what's going on?  Are they bugged or something?

I already know about the goblin bug for the guys who killed their own general and then decided to camp out on the edge of the map, but I'm not so sure if this is a bug or they're trying to do something I don't understand.

Maybe I need to give them a statue to try to attack?  I dunno...
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Strange Troll Behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:11:16 am »

Weird... one got through the door and stood directly on a hatch for about 5 minutes *then* destroyed it... falling into the trap zone.

If there's some kind of bug, this must be it, because otherwise, that shale door outside withstood half a dozen of them for far, far longer than the alunite hatch did.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:21:03 am »

It takes time to tear down things.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:36 am »

It takes time to tear down things.

A heck of a long time, I guess.  Now that I notice it, there's slight damage to that door.  But I swear that it took *far* less time to destroy the hatch, because this same door has survived at least a couple of sieges and I think I specifically put a no-quality door out there just in case....

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:00:17 am »

Once had six trolls destroying some hatches. One of my archers ran out to them and pummeled them all to death. They didn't react (except dying of course) because they were so concentrated on destroying those evil hatches! Good training stuff. :)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 01:47:52 pm »

maybe material has some sort of effect?
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:17:04 pm »

Yeah, trolls become pretty absorbed in destroying things, and it can take a long time depending on the material (I don't think item quality makes a difference, unless it's artifact). And since they're buildingdestroyer:2, they'll actively seek out anything to wreck, instead of your dwarves. Probably why they don't attack on their own; short attention span would prevent dwarf deaths.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."