Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian causing phantom cave-ins  (Read 466 times)

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
Obsidian causing phantom cave-ins
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:00:15 pm »

I used a liquids utility. I'm not proud of it. But the migrants weren't going to kill themselves, now were they? Then I had a block of obsidian. So I sent a miner to get rid of it. He hit it with his pick and BAM!!! hes on the floor, dead. I check reports and apparently it really did a number on him. Pushed his skull into hiis brain. And that wasn't even the bit that killed him. It seems there was a cave-in, but there was nothing above the obsidian block. Is this a side effect of the utility? Can someone help me out?
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian causing phantom cave-ins
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 11:09:33 pm »

Just one block of obsidian, with nothing surrounding it?

This has nothing to do with your utility. You sent the miner with a "dig" command, right? Well digging leaves a floor above the dug-out square, and when you mined it out, it left a hanging square of obsidian to cave your miner's skull in.

To avoid it in the future, just build a ramp and channel it from above, or dig an upward ramp into it before flattening it out.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:11:56 pm »

To avoid it in the future, just build a ramp and channel it from above, or dig an upward ramp into it before flattening it out.
Yeah, I'd strongly suggest using upwards Ramp for this, since you don't have to build a ramp first, and then if there isn't a visible floor unit above the rock, it still can't crash in on your miner's head.

But, for the record, I use DFHack all the time, and I'm not ashamed of it.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:36 pm »

I have also heard of utilities like this causing bugs where the square will still be counted as underwater or under lava even after the liquid has dispersed/evaporated, meaning you may not be able to retrieve your unfortunate miner's stuff since any dwarf who attempts to do so will try to find a path to the location and fail because of this phantom liquid. It's possible this could even do something to cause your problem assuming you DID channel it out as opposed to digging. I have never really tried this sort of thing, though.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 12:52:54 am »

Ok, thanks everyone!
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.