Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I keep my dwarves in the hospital from dieing in the winter  (Read 557 times)

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do I keep my dwarves in the hospital from dieing in the winter

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I keep my dwarves in the hospital from dieing in the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »

If this pertains to having unfrozen water, make an underground well. Also, make the hospital underground.

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:15:20 pm »

yes unfrozen water would be a dream come true but how do I do that with out flooding everything

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:16:16 pm »

Kill them in the summer  :P

Serious answer:
Dig a cistern to always have fresh water, keep dwarfs inside, make sure you have soap etc

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:29:53 pm »

If I wall in and put a floor/ceiling above my natural source of water will it freeze

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:39:52 pm »

magma one tile under the frozen water will keep it thawed
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

masonmason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:45:30 pm »

3rd year in I havn't even started digging that far down yet

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »

If I wall in and put a floor/ceiling above my natural source of water will it freeze
Yes. Above ground water will freeze, even if it is inside, though no underground water will.

What you need to do is dig horizontally into a water source so that the tunnel is underground, with a natural floor over it, and have that tunnel lead to an underground chamber that you can store water in. Make sure that the squares and/or well that you use to access this water are underground as well!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 01:29:26 am »

And make sure you have plenty of wells. Dwarves using wells is just like using an item or mining something out. Dwarves call dibs and only one dwarf can use anything at a time. Even if a dwarf is a billion tiles away, if he wants water first, no other dwarves can use his well until he is done.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 01:46:39 am »

yes unfrozen water would be a dream come true but how do I do that with out flooding everything

Use a bucket...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 01:54:45 am »

While it's still ice, that's a great time to carve a fortification into the wall next to the river, then set up a floodgate behind that.  (The fortification keeps monsters out, the floodgate keeps water out... or will, when it thaws.  Hook that floodgate up to a lever and you have some control.

As for the water pressure part, water tiles sitting on top of other water tiles creates pressure (i.e. it allows water to move up).  To remove pressure, make it flow diagonally.  What I do is to guard all my well shafts:  anywhere water can get pushed *up* a hole, I put a + of walls around it, so it can only get in there diagonally.  You can create pressure anywhere, so don't get any bright ideas about trying to do this to "remove" pressure at the intake point.  I nearly flooded my first well that way and was saved only because I had also built a pump down there that pumped water into a fortification I carved into the edge of the map (that's how you drain water) and I had a good shutoff valve, like the floodgate I told you to make.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01:37 am »

1. use a bucket and a pond zone to fill an underground well by hand(make lots of smaller zones for more workers filling at once)

2. use a floodgate to let the water in underground, and an overflow and the end of the drop so it doesnt flood out your well.

3. use a 2 floodgate + 2 lever system to meter the water manually.

4. The diagonal flow.