Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Once Again: Looking for a Free MMO  (Read 3778 times)

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
Re: Once Again: Looking for a Free MMO
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:34:52 am »

Kingdom of Loathing!
The one and only!
Not much on appearance and skill customisation, but lots and lots of very high quality humor.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:36:41 am by Dorten »
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:48:49 am »

Don't lie to us. You have tried Runescape. You know, that "horrible' game with a massive bandwagon bent on destroying any and all of it's credibility? That game with a thousand times more content then any other browser-based game? That game that will land in you in center of nerddom if you dare even murmur its name in public?

Yes. That one. Try it.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 02:11:33 am »

Don't lie to us. You have tried Runescape. You know, that "horrible' game with a massive bandwagon bent on destroying any and all of it's credibility? That game with a thousand times more content then any other browser-based game? That game that will land in you in center of nerddom if you dare even murmur its name in public?

Yes. That one. Try it.

That game with extremely limited content for free players, including almost no quests?
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 02:39:30 am »

I heard whispering about this FPS MMO Mars Wars that kinda looks like a more ugly planetside but 1000 players on the map aint bad i guess.

Don't think it's an MMO, from what I can find googling it's just a UT2004 mod, so I doubt the 1000 players on a map claim.

http://marswar.mmolover.com/index.php
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 02:44:50 am »

I guess I could suggest Haven and Hearth if you like pretending to eat, and Shores of Hazeron if you like pretending to eat IN SPACE.

IN all honesty, Shores of Hazeron has a lot more going for it, with the detraction being it's buggy and ugly, while Haven and Hearth is (2D but kinda) pretty and (slightly) less buggy.

Then there's Fonline, which I've just recently heard about but haven't played. Apparently made out of the rusted hulk of fallout 2, it is a fallout MMO.

If you play Hazeron, look for my empire, the United Colones, and I'll give you a spaceship full of beans, which you'll realize is a generous offer once you've played the game. Not the spaceship, the beans.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 03:52:03 am »

Yes. That one. Try it.

That game with extremely limited content for free players, including almost no quests?

YOUR ARGUMENT IS VOID.

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 06:31:41 am »

I used to play runescape. I played it tonnes, I think I was level 90 or something when I quit. I hadn't played it for a while, and when I did, it was really really boring. It is a good game, but so much of it was grinding. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE grinding.

Also, IIRC, a lot of the items in it are made by players, not all of course, but a lot of it :P
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 07:12:33 am »

Runescape, memories...

I wish that game was still good, but everything went downhill when they removed the player economy.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 11:04:57 am »

Ever try Planeshift? I can't find system requirements anywhere but I started following it back when it was only a very basic tech demo (no fighting or interaction, just a very small map to look around with chat) and watched it grow for a long time before I lost track of it.  Apparently they still consider it a "tech demo" but there's a lot you can do now and lots of people playing.  It's also fully free and open source.

I haven't tried it in a long time, but your post reminded me of it. Maybe I should pop back and and have a look at how it's doing these days.

EDIT: Shucks, just found the system requirements and you don't meet them. Shame. You could give it a try anyway and see if it works. I remember running it on a very old computer a few years ago and it ran just fine.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:58 am »

For a low-spec system, I would recommend the Project 1999 EverQuest Classic project.  It's, hands down, the best emulated EverQuest experience available, and it is completely free. 

The server only recreates EverQuest as it was up to the Velious expansion (They've currently rolled out Kunark).  This is actually a good thing because it still has all of the old-school mechanics in place before SOE screwed it up.  This means that there is no fast travel (so traveling across the world is pretty epic) other than boats and spells, and you drop all of your equipment when you die (which IMO makes the game more thrilling).

The great thing about EverQuest is that the world holds a lot of secrets.  There are tons of nooks and crannies to find and explore in this game, unlike most of its successors today.  The world is tough and unforgiving, but even so, the rewards are highly satisfying.

I recommend checking it out.  There are a few nice mods on the site I mentioned above that improve the textures and give you a better HUD.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:35 am »

...Holy crap so many posts to respond to o_o

Alright...

First of all, Runescape is one of the ones I forgot to mention that I tried. However, I quit when a player moderator I knew IRL started slandering my name with rumors that I was a pedophile, IRL. Plus, my memories of it are that it sucks.

Haven and Hearth I did try, though I was unable to do anything because I couldn't find anyone to help me. I would try it again eventually, if I could join up with this forum's group at the beginning of a new world. That is, if I wasn't already engrossed in another MMO.

As for Shores of Hazeron and Fonline, I'm not too certain. I could try them I suppose, though I'm not a Fallout fan.

Kingdom of Loathing was constantly recommended to me by the same people who got me into Runescape then slandered my name. However, I could check it out eventually, I suppose.

I'm really not into FPS MMOs, the exception would be Cosmic Break, which I still probably would go back to if I could get another MMO to play for when I need a break from PvP.

I heard a lot about Dofus from a gay friend of mine. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea to be honest, though it's sequel did sound a lot like something I'd play.

@Soulwynd - from your description of Anarchy Online, it sounds like my cup of tea. Believe it or not, I love grinding, and in Mabinogi, Luna Online, and a few others, prided myself on being a gold farmer. So chances are I probably would check it out one of these days.

Seeing as how I am in California, games hosted in Europe are not possible for the most part, especially when it's one that I think was also developed by someone related to EA Games. I don't play anything EA after all the Securom I've gotten. I even got some from Battlefield Heroes, another one I tried. Though do correct me if I'm wrong.

What got me with MapleStory and everything else Nexon is that it's either repetitive or the community sucks. And this is coming from someone who played Mabinogi for about three years or more, right after OBT ended.

I am a fan of the Phantasy Star series, actually, so if the specifications are okay, I could try Phantasy Star: Blue Burst. Though wasn't that one with a huge client and private servers? Just wondering, as I've had bad experiences with private servers outside of WoWCorn or something.

HellMOO sounded interesting when I first heard about it. However, my experience with non-graphical MUDs, which started when I was 14, left a lot to be desired, seeing as it's hard for me to navigate or play them. Then again, I've gotten better with 'old school' gaming since then, so I could check it out.

Ultima Online was a game that was played by some trolls who actually trolled me over the phone IRL last year. I could check it out, but I might end up getting trolled because of it. Sounds fun though.

@GaelicVigil - EverQuest II I played, but never EverQuest itself. I will definitely try that, seeing as I have a book by R.A. Salvatore that got me into EverQuest again.

Thanks everyone. While last night I did go back to Cosmic Break despite numerous blue screens, I will try some of these games when I get a chance. Primarily EverQuest, Anarchy Online, and Haven and Hearth. Ultima Online, Kingdom of Loathing, and HellMOO are possibilities as well.

I appreciate your suggestions, and your help. That is all.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 11:56:48 am »

@Soulwynd - from your description of Anarchy Online, it sounds like my cup of tea. Believe it or not, I love grinding, and in Mabinogi, Luna Online, and a few others, prided myself on being a gold farmer. So chances are I probably would check it out one of these days.
You will really enjoy it then. I've played it for years on and off. However, it can be really hard to solo, so finding a nice group is your best bet.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 12:26:41 pm »

Yes. That one. Try it.

That one that has a company apparently intent on destroying everything that made it good?

Try Allods Online.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 12:39:09 pm »

Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. The ONLY servers you can find now are private, since Sega stopped supporting it. As for the game itself, its a grand experience, and you can play both the single player game and the multiplayer with the same character, but its set up similar to Diablo 2. Not that thats a bad thing. The hubs are fully graphical, even if you don't do much in the hub world, you can still play soccer and scoot around on a holochair. When I played, hacking was a non issue. Yeah, I'm sure some bugs were exploited, but it wasn't too big of a deal. There's also something for everyone, whether its jumping into Challenge Mode which sends you on a time trail through somewhat condensed versions of the normal environments, or competitive quests to see who can get the most objects. Those are in addition to the single player game and the incredible multiplayer experience.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 12:42:07 pm »

Well if you want something unconventional that offers great role-playing I offer Cantr! http://www.cantr.net/ Personally one of the few mmos I can stand. Apart from that try Wurm Online? Fun until it gets too tedious.

Just my 2 cents, I think part of the Cantr rules is against OOC socialization. Or something. In fact you never actually know the real name/handle of another person, just what you "labeled" them. It's more like an IC society sim than a RPG, you're not supposed to know the players, only their characters.

That's the impression I got when I played it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3