Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Question : Do Goblin prisoners need food?  (Read 1287 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Quick Question : Do Goblin prisoners need food?
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:10 pm »

Title says it all. Does caged Goblins need to eat?

Alternatively, do Humans and Elves also have to eat?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Quick Question : Do Goblin prisoners need food?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

The only creatures which needs to eat are those which are intelligent and members of your fortress.  Usually this means your dwarves and any tame tigermen you buy from the elves.  Prisoners, diplomats, and traders do not need to eat, drink, or sleep.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:59:57 pm »

yeah them tigermen are a pain, esp since you can get noble tiger man, who cant do any thing, yeah they have a grandmaster _____ skill but nope they wont lift a figure
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »

yeah them tigermen are a pain, esp since you can get noble tiger man, who cant do any thing, yeah they have a grandmaster _____ skill but nope they wont lift a figure
I heard they don't require anything nor make Mandates. Been trying to get one from the Elves for years.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 01:57:21 am »

I heard they don't require anything nor make Mandates. Been trying to get one from the Elves for years.

I just got a female from the elves a while ago.  I really hope it turns into a noble....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Byteheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:35:43 am »

I actually managed to snag a Tigerman in one of my early fortresses. I originally intended to make soup out of him until I realized that dwarves, despite their chronic stupidity and eccentric behavior, suffer from a disease called morality and can't don't eat sentient creatures.

Sadly, thanks to the usual dwarfy shenanigans that transpire during a game of DF, the Tigerman died of dehydration in a fortress surrounded by water. It probably also had something to do with the fact that I "forgot" to release him from his cage. Maybe dwarves just don't like furries? We'll never know.

On a more serious note, can Tigermen actually be integrated into a dwarven society or would this require the use of mods?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:45:34 am »

tigermen will seek out water by themselves. if you let them out of the cave for once.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.