Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How long will a bar of soap last?  (Read 670 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
How long will a bar of soap last?
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:09:38 pm »

I know that a single bar of soap is subdivided a whole bunch of times, but does anybody know how much soap is used in a given job?

Or to rephrase, if I have one bar of soap and a nigh infinite list of Clean Wound jobs, how many jobs will be completed before the soap runs out?

While I'm at it, I'd like to know about Thread and Cloth as well, knowing they undergo a similar division.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long will a bar of soap last?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 03:42:43 pm »

I can't really tell how long one bar will last, but my guesstimate is about 15 cleanings. It might be more, but unless your really low on wood just burn a few trees and make about 5 bars, that will last many years and will also prevent doctors from cleaning patients without soap in the case of multiple patients requiring cleaning at the same time (just make sure it all ends up in the hospital, lest you experience the clean self bug).
For cloth and thread: suturing and dressing wounds doesn't seem to take much out of every unit of a piece of thread or cloth but for some reason my dwarfs won't ever use a piece twice and instead insist on using the highest quality stuff available (much fun if you're trying to make some metal clothing). I suggest to stock the hospital with as many pieces as you're expecting wounds tho, this way at least the first treatments will be quick (100000 on both seems ok if you have too much might as well set it to 200000, just build enough boxes/bags).

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:03:17 pm »

Not to hijack the thread but in regard to your post shlorf abhout putting the soap in the hospital to prevent you from getting the cleaning bug. I put my soap stockpile in the hospital storage (Still inside the hospital zone) and i still had dwarfs running back and forth experiencing the bug. Was curious what might of happened.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »

Don't put it in a stockpile in the hospital. Instead, build containers (b)->(f) inside the hospital.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:53 pm »

I've had some success in getting people to stop spamming me with canceling clean self by forcing them to walk through a Dwarven bathtub.  Just put a lever on the far side of one of those, assign it to the spammer & have him pull the lever.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:16:30 pm »

Don't make a stockpile that accepts soap bars ever. Instead (b)uild coffers/chests/bags inside the hospital zone, and set the zone to stock more soap than you have (150*bars you have+any you will make). Items stored inside containers in the hospital zone will not be used by dwarfs -> no more bug, dwarfs clean themselves at the well/river. To see whats inside the containers use the view i(t)ems in building function.
To make sure the soap ends up in the hospital make sure it is not low on anything before placing new containers for the soap (else you might end up with the new containers filled with cloth and the soap at the workshop where dwarfs will try to eat it).

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:52:00 pm »

ohh thanks all, appreciate it  8)
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.