Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Expand and discuss  (Read 12028 times)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines Expand and discuss
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 10:57:34 am »

the best RPG in the whole world

Black Isle Studios would like to have a word with you.  :P

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »

(trolling removed)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:15:41 pm by Toady One »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 04:41:20 pm »

Definitely get one of the unofficial fan patches.

I've stopped trusting fan patches since Evil Genius.

In Evil Genius for example the "Fan Patch" also altered the balance of the game to do things that made the game easier (for example it altered the useless turret so it can be built indoors)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 04:50:45 pm »

Eh. The Fan Patch for EG didn't really force you to do any of those things.

The fan patch for Bloodlines is mandatory imo though. Most importantly, it fixes all the horribly broken cut scenes, which were like a thumb in the eye playing the game at release. There is actually not a whole lot of rebalancing to make things easier....I think the most that happened in that arena, is they created a few new fetishes and tweaked some prices at Larry's.

It didn't go do something crazy like double the base-point value of your blood pool, or give you access to more core disciplines at once.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 04:57:16 pm »

Maybe spoiler but, Why is it considered bad to drain other vampires? You gain their power and it would be the only way to grow other than becoming older.
I can see that elder vampires dont like it because it's a threat to them, but other than that?

It's just an arbitrary taboo. You know how cannibalism is forbidden in most human cultures? Same thing. You monster.

Well, except there's the point that there is considerable benefit to the one doing the cannibalizing, so it's really more like how murdering rich people and taking their money is forbidden in most human cultures.

In addition to what others have said regarding diablerie, drinking another vampire's blood also makes you (more and more) bound to them, with a complete blood bond at three drinks. This is rather socially dangerous, and Sabbat covens have a ritual where they all drink from a mixture of the blood of everyone in the coven, so they're all emotionally bound to one another.

The fan patch for Bloodlines is, in fact, mandatory. It's a buggy as shit game.

http://planet-vampire.com/forum/index.php?topic=5213.0

Updates will be posted in threads on this same forum. There's a "minus" and a "plus" version, where the "plus" version focuses more on restoring unimplemented content and fixing a few balance issues, and that sort of thing, although it still doesn't do anything drastic, whereas the "minus" version is more for just bugfixing; the differences are made clear, at any rate.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »

Kind of makes you wonder, on average, how much unfinished content bloat there is on game disks these days. Almost all the restored stuff exists on the Bloodlines disk, they just had to fish it out of the archives.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 05:06:48 pm »

It didn't go do something crazy like double the base-point value of your blood pool, or give you access to more core disciplines at once.

You know, it would actually be really fun to play Bloodlines as a caitiff, with three disciplines of your choice but at higher cost to upgrade them.

Of course, it would probably be horribly broken too, because then you could have Celerity, Potence, and Fortitude on at the same time, or have really stupid nonsense combinations like Dementation, Thaumaturgy, and Protean.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

Celerity, Potence, and Fortitude
Great combination in a video game!

...Have fun being screwed over in tabletop.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

Oh, of course. One of the more annoying things about Bloodlines is the concessions they had to make in order to adapt things to a combat-based videogame... like Dominate and Dementation being largely combat-based and nearly identical (except in the case of the dialogue options differing a bit), and Thaumaturgy being a rather hideous imitation of what it's supposed to be. Oh, and Presence having no social use at all. Same goes for a lot of the disciplines, I guess.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »

There was a cave in Vampire: Redemption, which was the precursor to Vampire: Bloodlines.
There's a cave where you fight the society of leopold guy.

There's also the LA sewers. And the older sewers below them. And the REALLY old sewers below those. And the caves where all the Nosferatu live, which I can only assume are some kind of ancient indian sewers. Kind of makes you wonder what the Nosferatu do with all the rainwater that trickles down there, considering they're probably something like half a kilometer below sea level. Maybe there's another layers of sewers even deeper.

Also, predating Twilight does not mean that you are free from its influence. Like Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett. An excellent parody of Twilight, published in 1998.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 05:38:12 pm »

Kind of makes you wonder what the Nosferatu do with all the rainwater that trickles down there, considering they're probably something like half a kilometer below sea level. Maybe there's another layers of sewers even deeper.

It's what makes up the bulk of their "breeding pool".

After trickling through 6 miles worth of sewer pipe, I imagine it's probably half toxicities and carcinogens already :P

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2011, 05:39:53 pm »

I see references to Redemption, but the posts are gone?  Oh well.  That was also a fun game.  Very linear, totally and ridiculously broken mechanics, but a storyline that was truly classic.  That doesn't necessarily mean "good", by the way, but hey I liked it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:26 pm »

A better question about the LA sewers: There are two shortcut exit doors leading back to the main downtown sewers. They lead to doors of the same height downtown, yet link to two sections of the sewers, one much older and deeper than the other.

For that matter, if the old-ass 1970's/1950's sewers are so sealed off, why are there such easily-accessible doors leading back to the surface?

The level design in Bloodlines is pretty weird like that, like it was rushed. You have lots of levels that take place in an ostensibly nonlinear place, yet which have strange, very linear progression anyway, Hallowbrook Hotel being the worst example but by far not the only one. And nobody likes the sewer mission. Ever.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »

In addition to what others have said regarding diablerie, drinking another vampire's blood also makes you (more and more) bound to them, with a complete blood bond at three drinks.
Drain them completely, Power up.
Force subdued, non-sirelings to drink, Gain subjects.

Sounds good to me, just got to do it without attracting the attention of the regent of the area.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »

In addition to what others have said regarding diablerie, drinking another vampire's blood also makes you (more and more) bound to them, with a complete blood bond at three drinks.
Drain them completely, Power up.
Force subdued, non-sirelings to drink, Gain subjects.

Sounds good to me, just got to do it without attracting the attention of the regent of the area.
  • I don't think you know what a "regent" is.
  • Diablerie is an extremely inhumane practice even for vampires, can taint you with the lingering soul of the dude you diablerized, and, on top of that, would be discouraged by those in power regardless because they'd be at risk for it.
  • what the hell is a "sireling"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8