Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bored... Any good games out there?  (Read 7698 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Bored... Any good games out there?
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:36:22 am »

i have to say im so bored with games these days, nothing is really keeping me entertained these days, i spent a crap load of cash on the Christmas steam sale and bought about 35 games in total, played each one for about a week and got bored in the end theirs just not enough substance to them or there buggy. i Love DF and played it to death at one point ( just waiting for a few updates right now till i get addicted again),

But has anyone seen any decent RPG games or strategy games ? At the minute im playing tropico 3 and that is really cool and any other decent city building games out there ? or any noteworthy games out there ? ( especially Indy games they seem better than the big company's at the minute )
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Xombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bored... Any good games out there?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:05:26 am »

you playing to much games

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:09:43 am »

how am i playing to much games? :P

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:36:49 am »

Anno 1404
Europa Universalis 3 (Pretty much anything by Paradox Interactive)
Any of the Total War games
Dawn of War I & II

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:40:09 am »

I'm in the same boat. To be honest, I blame the availability of games these days. It used to be that I'd get that game I'd wanted for ages, and it'd be all I had, so I'd play it to death. Just after it was getting repetitive the next thing would come along.
But with endless hype causing us to keep tabs on a stack of upcoming releases, and digital enormo-sales, I think it generates a kind of overexposure.
For the last year or so I've been consistently playing through five or six games at the same time, with more drifting in and out of the fringes of my interest. It's not so much that none of them totally hold my interest, more that I can't settle on one to commit to. Consequently I enjoy them all a lot less than I should.
On games worth playing, I can suggest a couple of things.

For a good RPG/ARPG hybrid, if you don't mind one from the Diablo II era, I'd recommend Divine Divinity. It's not perfect - the controls are a bit outdated, the voice acting is awful, etc. - but it's got more depth than the hack-n-slash appearance suggests.
On that note, I started loving Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga more once I accepted it as a hack-n-slash with RPG elements, rather than the other way around. Also, you become a dragon. 'nuff said.

I can't really recommend strategy games. I like them, really. Total Annihilation is one of my most fondly-remembered games; Warcraft is one of the first games I remember having; I absolutely love the aesthetic of the Homeworld series. I love staring at the terrain and units, looking at the variety between factions, listening to the voices natter as I order them about... But I simply can't play them. I don't have the mindset. Still. I quite like the look, or idea, or both, ofAI War, for its nifty pixel art, huge fleets, desperate last-stand strategy, and lovely developers.

I lie. I have been able to play Dawn of War II, because it's far enough into RPG territory for me. It drops the things that I was never much good at, like resources & unit production, and introduces loadout balancing and customisation in their stead. It also captures the gutsiness of the 40k mythos - particularly the Marines - better than DoW 1 (or, dare I say, the tabletop game) did, with a handful of elites against a much larger force (prepares for vehement backlash). I am greatly looking forward to Retribution.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:45:45 am »

Dominions 3 - it's what real men play when they aren't wooing ladies or fighting crime.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:46:56 am »

hmm yes its just like now that i have seen DF nothing else captures my interest that much, i have war ban, stalker, MOW, COH and several other title's, but like once you get down to it and played for a few hours you have seen and done everything. and i have EU 3 im thinking of buying the dynasty expansion for it.

Also how good is dawn of war 2? (and its chaos expansion) i have seen soooo many mixed reviews im so confuzzled

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:00:40 am »

Space chem is the best.

No minecraft?

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:09:44 am »

@eerr I think it's taken for granted now that everyone loves/hates/has been exposed to Minecraft, but yes. It's also a great game.

Also how good is dawn of war 2? (and its chaos expansion) i have seen soooo many mixed reviews im so confuzzled
Your definition of "good" may vary. It is my opinion that the people who enjoy it are happy for the risks it takes, while the people who dislike it were hoping for a much shinier Dawn of War 1 remake complete with base-building. Another tournament skirmish RTS, basically.

It's somewhere between a strategy game and a party-based RPG. You're given four "squads" per mission, each with a character and 0-3 troops (who are replaceable nameless meatshields). Between missions you boost their stats RPG-like and customise their equipment. You can often decide between a number of missions to take, all of which will provide benefits for other missions (such as the ability to place turrets). There's no building a barracks and pumping out a swarm of grunts to smash against the opponent's wall of turrets. You move slowly, hugging the terrain for cover, and take out the enemy one small group at a time. Each character/squad has different abilities such as throwing grenades, pinning the enemy, breaking enemy cover, etc. It's properly tactical. I for one really enjoy it. That's the campaign mode. Skirmish sees you with a single building producing troops to capture points on a map. Troops are upgradeable, you have a hero character, etc. It's not bad but feels a little half-hearted. Last Stand mode gives you a single unit on a tiny map with two other players and swamps you all with successively harder waves of enemies. Good fun, if you get a good team, but can get a little repetitive. I've only seen one map so far, I don't even know if there are more.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 10:09:56 am »

Personally, I loved Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising. Sure, they aren't the same as the original, but I've always preferred strategy games where you can't crank out units mid battle.

On another note, what are some good 4x strategy games?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 10:55:41 am »

Easiest way to solve all questions raised in this thread would be to go allll the way back to the first page of Other Games, and just start working your way back th'freak forward. If you're bored with new stuff, try old stuff. You've got emulation (Read: Every freaking console from roughly PS2 back, depending on your computer) and old games (Over two decades of material now.). You are not going to run out of games to play in your lifetime. Games have become like books, to a large extent. There's so many you will never catch up, and they're being created so quickly you're going to fall behind. It's glorious.

Warhammer, there's a 4x thread at-most 6 pages back. There are, in fact, multiple 4x and/or strategy game threads in the forum. Search feature.

Script: Check out the Let's Play archive. Generally, if someone can be arsed to spend a ridiculous amount of man-hours putting together a Let's Play, there's something worthy about it.

Personally, I'm currently playing Nox, Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup (rarely), Super Robot Wars J, and Goblin War Machine. All are good, in different ways.

And apologies if the tone comes off as kinda' curt -- the thread's title is kinda' annoying when it's dropped in the middle of over 100 pages of forum dedicated, to a large extent, solely to what someone or another has considered a good game.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:00:50 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 11:03:50 am »

about 35 games in total, played each one for about a week

If you actually did this we'd be having this conversation sometime in July.

At the minute im playing tropico 3 and that is really cool and any other decent city building games out there ?

There isn't much out there in this genre, some games that might fit coming up but meh :( I want more of these games too. Although actually I want them not to have time cut-offs to, I'll stop when I want to god damn it.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »

Heh, I'm with Spiral42 here. I can remember the first game I ever purchased for my "modern" 386 back in the day, F-117 A Stealth Fighter (title might be off a bit). Had to buy a joystick, too, of course. I remember how HEAVY this box was. It was huge. Weighed a ton. Had several full scale books in it (flight manual type stuff). Played it for months without playing anything else.

I did the same with another game I loved, a WW2 subsim called ... Wolfpack? I think.

Anyway, yeah ... games were few and far between for me, so each one seemed like a unique and addictive experience that could keep me highly entertained for months on end.

Now, every Steam sale I end up purchasing several titles that barely get played at all. I don't know if the easy availability of games has jaded me, or the games are less interesting now, or if I've just grown into an old codger that doesn't like new-fangled stuff, but I don't get addicted to any of them like I once did. With the current trend of games all being more "social" and integrating into Facebook, I doubt I ever return to my old ways. I don't even have a Facebook account.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 03:07:52 pm »

Your definition of "good" may vary. It is my opinion that the people who enjoy it are happy for the risks it takes, while the people who dislike it were hoping for a much shinier Dawn of War 1 remake complete with base-building. Another tournament skirmish RTS, basically.

I don't know is that's *quite* accurate. People didn't want "just a shinier DoW 1 remake with base building." They wanted Relic to take all the goodness they'd developed with Company of Heroes and apply it to the DoW franchise. That only happened in about 20% of the game.

They re-wrote the Essence engine for DoW 2, adding in all the Dx10 lovies. But in the process, they completely gimped their physics handling. Set pieces that could shatter in individual sections became reduced to simply "Broken, yes/no?" structures. The maps, as a result, were boring and flavorless, with the use of the z-axis minimized as compared to BOTH Dawn of War AND Company of Heroes. The cover system, which worked so well in Company of Heroes, was reduced down to obvious holding points. Cover doesn't matter half as much in DoW 2 as it has in other Relic games. Vehicles were more detailed in CoH as well. They had engines, main weapons, all that jazz, which could be damaged and repaired. In DoW 2, they're just units with health, spammed to infinity.

Dawn of War 2 was just such a regression from all the technical advances of other Relic games, that the fact they did something new and fun in its own right was lost on a lot of long time fans. People wanted an RTS of the depth of Company of Heroes set in 40k.....and what we got instead was Defense of the Ancients, plus squads, set in 40k. With boring ass multiplayer maps to boot. The campaign borrowed heavily from other games, and was based on the Relic's Tales of Valor model, rather than leading an actual army. Another totally unexpected....and not very well received change.

I still play some of the DoW 2 campaign....but again, I do it more for a Defense of the Ancients/Diablo experience than I do for it's RTS/RTT value. I had to make myself finish the DoW 2 campaign, even as a 40k fanatic, because it was that shallow to me. I haven't been able to make myself buy the expansions, regardless of how much I want to see Chaos, because I simply don't enjoy the product enough to do it with a clear conscious.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:13:43 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 03:11:43 pm »

A little off-topic, but I've found that one of the best responses to boredom is to get more/better sleep.  When you are insufficiently rested, you get less enjoyment out of the games that you play.  Even going from seven to eight, or eight to nine hours can make a huge difference.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4